Who would you guess is the stronger writer

treeduck

Who is more of the heart and soul of Rush music?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who is more of the heart and soul of Rush music?

• 1 Geddy
    • 2 Alex

I was reading over at Counterparts a thread about Alex doing about 10 takes for a guitar solo then going off while Geddy chooses the best bits and constructs a new solo. About two hours later Alex comes back and if he likes the new solo and can play it they record it. If not they go with some older takes or he has another 10 takes and so on...

In view of this who is really at the centre of Rush's music? Is it Geddy the cut and paste guitar solo engineer or Alex the go-for-it improv artist?

And a further related question: who do you think comes up with the bulk of the musical ideas? Now no one can know but those three guys and a few producers and engineers, but I'm asking you make a gut-instinct guess here. So who do you think in your opinion "based on the evidence" is the main music man in Rush?

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Sep 16 2006, 01:03 AM)
Geddy, no doubt. Just listen to My Favorite Headache. The man's a songwriter's songwriter. I just think he really drives things on the whole.

I agree It's clear after listening to MFH that Geddy's influence is greater.

Somehow this thread has focused on guitar solos. Geddy's role in this is one of a producer. Alex writes all of the solo and Geddy just arranges it. However, regarding actual songwriting, Geddy is superior based on what I have read. In the keyboard-heavy albums it has been said that there is less guitar on them because the guitar parts were written and recorded last. That insinuates that Geddy wrote most of the rest of them on keyboard/bass/guitar and Al added his layers later. Alex can definitely write great guitar parts but it seems that Geddy si the force that puts it all together to make a song. I'm already on the record in saying that if Al and Neil went into the studio without Geddy we would get a bunch of unfinished riffs and a book about Al writing riffs and the food they ate. Of course, we would still buy both of them.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 16 2006, 12:14 PM)
Somehow this thread has focused on guitar solos. Geddy's role in this is one of a producer. Alex writes all of the solo and Geddy just arranges it. However, regarding actual songwriting, Geddy is superior based on what I have read. In the keyboard-heavy albums it has been said that there is less guitar on them because the guitar parts were written and recorded last. That insinuates that Geddy wrote most of the rest of them on keyboard/bass/guitar and Al added his layers later. Alex can definitely write great guitar parts but it seems that Geddy si the force that puts it all together to make a song. I'm already on the record in saying that if Al and Neil went into the studio without Geddy we would get a bunch of unfinished riffs and a book about Al writing riffs and the food they ate. Of course, we would still buy both of them.

That part about Alex and Neil in the studio is priceless!

Heart and soul?

Couldn't one argue easily that they are two different roles filled by each of the guys.

Geddy is a bassist, and by definition, part of the rhythym section. That would be the soul. Alex is a guitarist, and according to Geddy, "one of the greatest instinctive players ever." That would be the heart.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I think Alex is better than Geddy is. Alex wrote a totally different style of music on his solo album where as Geddy just repeated himself on his solo album from the Rush albums. I mean come on. He could have been a little more original than that. unsure.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 16 2006, 04:29 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 16 2006, 12:14 PM)
Somehow this thread has focused on guitar solos.

The first question is focused on guitar solos yes, as I explained I saw this on counterparts...that's how it happened...

I saw the same thread. I just wanted to point out that, in my opinion, there is a difference in songwriting and arranging guitar solos. It takes talent to do both, of course. smile.gif

Problem here is there are two different questions being asked?

Who is the strongest writer?

Geddy!!

Who is the heart and soul of the band?

Different question altogether IMO.

To me, the heart and soul of the band is the fact that they gel together as a unit, Steelcaressed is spot on.

It's hard to put one over the other, but I think Geddy is it. He is the voice, and puts a lot of emotion into lyrics that Neil has written, making them even better.

Plus, the man is practically doing 4 things at once while onstage --> playing bass, singing, playing keyboards, and playing keyboard pedals. Not to mention probably setting off certain samples in different parts of different songs. I know Alex helps with some of this stuff too, but Ged still has the duty of singing, and Neil's lyrics don't seem that easy to sing! tongue.gif

You realise Alex is gonna see this poll and his eyes will pop out in disbelief...

He'll say to himself: "WTF? I'm responsible for ALL of it!! Those other two guys are just there to make me look good and they can't even do that right half the

time!!!

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 16 2006, 08:14 PM)
I'm already on the record in saying that if Al and Neil went into the studio without Geddy we would get a bunch of unfinished riffs and a book about Al writing riffs and the food they ate.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Remember though that Alex is a producer and arranger too, so he can do better than just inventing riffs. It's just that Geddy's style of arranging is more applicable to Rush music. Here's how I would describe all of the members:

Neil = body

Geddy = brain

Alex = heart

So, answering the question of this thread I would say: Alex.

Archived