Steve Irwin dies in "marine accident"

treeduck

I just heard about it this morning, my mom told me. I was like "Wow, he must be in his 30's or 40's, right?"

Wow, I feel sorry for his kids if he has any.

I would love to see him on TV and he would go near snakes and stuff, and my family would say "He's gonna get bit one of these days.", guess it happened.

Poor Stevie.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Sep 4 2006, 08:05 AM)
i awoke this morning to find this picture on my desktop...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/amandaladi/steverip.jpg
needless to say, i was pretty shocked...
until i read the story, i had only to assume his death was work related...

What a awesome picture !!!!!

Irwin pulled barb from chest before death

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Fatally injured by a stingray, Australian "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin pulled its serrated barb out of his chest before losing consciousness and dying, the world-famous naturalist's manager said on Tuesday.

Video footage of the attack shows Irwin swimming above the stingray on the Great Barrier Reef on Monday when it lashed out and speared him in the heart with its barbed tail, manager John Stainton told reporters.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest)," Stainton said after watching the footage.

"He pulled it out and the next minute he's gone. The cameraman had to shut down," he said.

"It's a very hard thing to watch because you're actually witnessing somebody die ... it's terrible."

Irwin, 44, the quirky naturalist who won worldwide acclaim as TV's khaki-clad "Crocodile Hunter", was filming a new documentary off Australia's northeastern coast when he was attacked.

Marine experts say stingrays can deliver horrific, agonizing injuries from the toxin-laden barbs, which can measure up to 20 cm (8 in) in length and cause injuries like a knife or bayonet.

"The strongly serrated barb is capable of tearing and rendering flesh," said Dr Bryan Fry, deputy director of the Australian Venom Research Unit.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Sep 5 2006, 12:38 AM)
Irwin pulled barb from chest before death
SYDNEY (Reuters) - Fatally injured by a stingray, Australian "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin pulled its serrated barb out of his chest before losing consciousness and dying, the world-famous naturalist's manager said on Tuesday.

Video footage of the attack shows Irwin swimming above the stingray on the Great Barrier Reef on Monday when it lashed out and speared him in the heart with its barbed tail, manager John Stainton told reporters.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest)," Stainton said after watching the footage.

"He pulled it out and the next minute he's gone. The cameraman had to shut down," he said.

"It's a very hard thing to watch because you're actually witnessing somebody die ... it's terrible."

Irwin, 44, the quirky naturalist who won worldwide acclaim as TV's khaki-clad "Crocodile Hunter", was filming a new documentary off Australia's northeastern coast when he was attacked.

Marine experts say stingrays can deliver horrific, agonizing injuries from the toxin-laden barbs, which can measure up to 20 cm (8 in) in length and cause injuries like a knife or bayonet.

"The strongly serrated barb is capable of tearing and rendering flesh," said Dr Bryan Fry, deputy director of the Australian Venom Research Unit.

Here's another excerpt from another article...

Clinical toxinologist Dr Geoff Isbister said little is known about stingray venom but agreed the physical trauma associated with the wound would have killed Irwin.

"What happened to Steve Irwin is like being stabbed in the heart," Isbister said.

Injuries caused by stingrays are relatively common but fatalities are extremely rare, with experts saying there are only one or two known cases in recorded Australian history.

An Aboriginal boy died several years ago, while the previous record death was in Melbourne in 1945.

"The majority of stingray injuries in Australia result from people stepping on them in shallow water and getting a stingray barb in the ankle," Isbister said.

Marine ecologist Sean Connell said stingrays, which feed on small animals on the sea floor, are related to sharks and use their long, barbed tails to protect themselves from predators, such as sharks and killer whales.

"I have never heard of an unprovoked attack from a stingray," Connell said. "Such attacks usually only happen when the ray is under severe stress," he said.

QUOTE (daveyt @ Sep 5 2006, 01:19 AM)
this sucks but he knew the risks with his new "deadly" show. not sure if it was a smart idea but great idea for television obviously.

He didn't do it just for television, this was pretty much what he did before and TV just came along later...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 5 2006, 01:20 AM)
QUOTE (daveyt @ Sep 5 2006, 01:19 AM)
this sucks but he knew the risks with his new "deadly" show. not sure if it was a smart idea but great idea for television obviously.

He didn't do it just for television, this was pretty much what he did before and TV just came along later...

good point. he should have toned it down, imo, but tv puts alot of pressure on you to stay relevent, doesn't it? i'm sure his wife was all for it as long as he was super-careful.

sad.gif

I heard this on the radio while on the road home from camping. My first response was "WHAT?!?" It was very sad to hear. And from an animal that has only been responsible for three recorded deaths in Australia history.

I also wonder if his wife will stay in Australia or move back to Oregon.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Sep 5 2006, 05:01 PM)
I heard this on the radio while on the road home from camping. My first response was "WHAT?!?" It was very sad to hear. And from an animal that has only been responsible for three recorded deaths in Australia history.

I also wonder if his wife will stay in Australia or move back to Oregon.

Terri, Steve's wife will almost certainly stay in Australia and help with the upbringing of Bindi and Rob and play more of a part in the continuing success of the AUSTRALIA ZOO in maroochydore. This is all so very sad.

Archived