Turning your head when playing drums

jrdrummer

Just a really common thing I thought I'd mention. I turn my head when I play drums, Neil does, every drummer does this. But why? I know it's a stupid question, but...

QUOTE (jrdrummer @ Aug 9 2006, 04:20 AM)
Just a really common thing I thought I'd mention. I turn my head when I play drums, Neil does, every drummer does this. But why? I know it's a stupid question, but...

Are you talking about turning your head slightly while playing in order to face the drum that you are hitting, or the "I'm-making-sideways-figure-eights-with-my-nose-like-Stevie-Wonder" type of head turning? Either way, I'm sure there's no great mystical reason for it. Different people have different body language. I turn and nod my head while playing, but only slightly. The drummer Zoro nods his head like a drinking bird while playing, it probably helps him to keep time. I wouldn't obsess too much over it.

QUOTE (KirkDS @ Aug 9 2006, 10:33 AM)
Because there's normally a guitar player's butt right in front of you.

Yeah, really! biggrin.gif Who wants to see that?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 9 2006, 07:30 AM)
QUOTE (jrdrummer @ Aug 9 2006, 04:20 AM)

Are you talking about turning your head slightly while playing in order to face the drum that you are hitting, or the "I'm-making-sideways-figure-eights-with-my-nose-like-Stevie-Wonder" type of head turning? Either way, I'm sure there's no great mystical reason for it. Different people have different body language. I turn and nod my head while playing, but only slightly. The drummer Zoro nods his head like a drinking bird while playing, it probably helps him to keep time. I wouldn't obsess too much over it.

No, drummers will look away from the thing they're hitting, like they will look to their right when the thing theyre playing is to the left. The opposite. It's like concentration like. And there is no nodding, just looking...

The ultimate "head turn" while playing drums award has to go to the drummer for Night Ranger in the Sister Christian video. After the guitar solo there is a little drum break and then he turns his head all dramatically to the mac. I just always thought that was so funny.

But yeah, I know what your talking about and I think all drummers do it.

It's called "concentration."

Guitar players should duly note this and worry less about jumping around.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 9 2006, 08:11 PM)

Gasp!!!! I concentrate while playing, i can play from 5/8 to 5/4 to 7/4 while jumping around!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif z7shysterical.gif

I do alot of weird stuff when i play, when using a wah pedal i make faces as if im doing the wah noises. everybody does their own thing i guess, i know matt does stuff like u said. he turns his head sometimes, but i never really noticed cause we have been writing songs for a year and a half now, so i really never pay attn to what hes doing, it just works if you know what i mean

I look at my hihat when I'm doing sixteenth notes, and I look at my fills. I can't stand these hot-dogging guys out there who are so good that they throw their heads around and show off with their high blood pressure. I try not to move at all. It's look a lot cooler to me when I'm not bopping to the music.

A good musician lets the music speak for itself. One word: Sprezzatura.

QUOTE (Shranexis0 @ Aug 10 2006, 10:49 PM)
I look at my hihat when I'm doing sixteenth notes, and I look at my fills. I can't stand these hot-dogging guys out there who are so good that they throw their heads around and show off with their high blood pressure. I try not to move at all. It's look a lot cooler to me when I'm not bopping to the music.

A good musician lets the music speak for itself. One word: Sprezzatura.

Impressive use of the word 'sprezzatura'. yes.gif Give yourself an A.

I try to look up at the audience or the band while playing. I hate seeing musicians play with their heads down like they don't care if you're there or not... also, then I can throw a wink at a pretty girl. wink.gif Just because I'm sitting in the back doesn't mean I have to be invisible!

I find turning/rocking my head helps with the movement like getting into the groove it's just what you feel when playing. 653.gif

My band is going into a studio near my hometown in September to record our first 3 track demo so i'm sure i'll be turning/rocking the old noggin then. 2.gif

QUOTE (jrdrummer @ Aug 20 2006, 07:21 PM)
I am not talking about actually turning your head, but looking to the side and keeping your head still, no movement involoved.

Then why did you name the thread 'Turning your head when playing'? Or are you just messing with us?

Another drummer who's guilty of this is Nick Mason during one of these days performed in pompeii, he doesn't do it the whole time but for a few moments it's really obvious.

Nice with the Ringo Charlie.

I was getting on my friend Adam for looking off to the side rather than straight ahead. He kept missing the crash cymbal over his right bass drum because he was looking somewhere to the left of his hi hat.

Can this discussion be over now? Sometimes the minutia gets to be a drag.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 9 2006, 07:11 PM)

Amen!

My sentiments exactly!

I've never purposely turned my head unless I became aware maybe I should face the audience more. It's all about concentration and being in your element.

One of the things I did as a young drummer was put my head down, which my band at the time found unacceptable. They bitched constantly about it, so I quit doing it.

Guitarists don't seem to concentrate enough. They work on their moves more than enything. Well said!!! I can definately tell you're a seasoned drummer...