IDOL

launchpad67a

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 13 2006, 05:38 PM)
Speaking of Elliot looking like Goatboy:

Anyone else think Justin Guarini (AI season one) looked like Sideshow Bob?

http://www.callus.com/separatedatbirth/justinguarini.jpg http://www.callus.com/separatedatbirth/cartoon1.jpg

rofl3.gif I think Sideshow could give Justin a few hairstyle tips.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 13 2006, 05:17 PM)
To feelingwithyourskin:

I screwed up.

In what may be the most bitterly ironic moments in TRF mod history, I hit 'Delete' instead of 'Quote' in your message concerning a deleted post. I must have just had delete on the brain when I went to reply to it and hit it without thinking. I hope that you will accept my humble apology, and understand that I'm only human.

Now, the reason I was going to reply to your post in the first place was to ask: What deleted post were you referring to?

hey, it's ok, i was just confused and feeling ignored.

hate posted " heart.gif " after a few of my posts all over the board, and those posts were deleted. i'm not sure what he did wrong... he was showing support for what i said, which i appreciated, so i'm not sure why they were deleted since they were positive and harmless.

did he do something wrong of which i am not aware?

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ May 14 2006, 05:05 AM)
haha yeah, The Inside Story with Slim Goodbody. The guy freaks me out...and he still does this stuff too. http://www.slimgoodbody.com/ scared.gif

Does he still do this? I mean shit, the guy has to be like 70 by now right?? I couldn't find any pictures of him on that site, maybe dead from smoking laugh.gif

I'm far from homophobic, but Slim Goodbody was a disturbingly gay man (a'la Richard Simmons) in my book. I couldn't watch him without getting the willies; him and his latex bodysuit, showing his bulge.

Question here, mabey some of the other viewers have noticed this.

Ever noticed how some of the 'ending clips' (when they are replaying the performances), are Not from the live show??!!

Mabey because I've been in the industry too long, do I only notice this.

But the clips they show at the end of the night are Not Always from the performance that you saw during the live show.

This leads me to believe they have a dress rehearsal (of course), and they tape it, use it, and whoever the 'editor in chief' is, decides the clips to use.

To expand: They have a dress rehearsal with the crowd in place. Meaning, they rehearse these songs shortly before the live broadcast!

Anyone ever noticed this? Or am I the only one??

Edited by launchpad67a

launchpad - i'll have to play closer attention, but i never noticed this. can they really get away with that? showing clips from something other than the actual performance? i mean, isn't the actual performance (not any rehersals) what we're judging them on? anyway...

on another note, i think this is taylor's competition to lose. my prediction is goatboy gets ousted next, and catherine is going to have to do a really stellar job in the finals to beat taylor. of course THIS week when goatboy was performing, i did all kinds of goat sounds, and my wife gleefully joined in. laugh.gif

LaunchPad is correct.

When Fox shows us the performance clips at the end of the night, they use footage from dress rehearsal. They do this out of necessity: how else could they edit together the clips from every performance just seconds after the last performer finished?

BTW, I think I'm rooting for Kat now. Taylor is way too inconsistent. Goatboy has no charisma, and he's this season's "ballad boy." (Every season has one - a golden-voiced guy who sounds great but only excels at ballads.)

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ May 16 2006, 11:29 PM)
Question here, mabey some of the other viewers have noticed this.

Ever noticed how some of the 'ending clips' (when they are replaying the performances), are Not from the live show??!!
Mabey because I've been in the industry too long, do I only notice this.

But the clips they show at the end of the night are Not Always from the performance that you saw during the live show.
This leads me to believe they have a dress rehearsal (of course), and they tape it, use it, and whoever the 'editor in chief' is, decides the clips to use.

To expand: They have a dress rehearsal with the crowd in place. Meaning, they rehearse these songs shortly before the live broadcast!

Anyone ever noticed this? Or am I the only one??

of course they have a dress rehearsal. go to any AI board, and people often have the song lists posted before the "live" show, because they text the songs, audience responses, etc. to someone who posts before the show even starts. the last performer's clip is always taken from the dress rehearsal (which often helps since they're in the pimp spot and they get the benefit of better editing) as well as other competitors who they want to pimp/depimp

if a pimped contestant does worse in the live show than in the rehearsal, they almost always show the rehearsal footage in the recap, and it will be cut so the strongest part of the performance is shown.

the show is about subtle (and not so subtle) manipulation, across the board. even though taylor had the worst night, by far, and should have been beated with a metal rod for that repugnant performance of dancin in the dark, he's The Chosen One so he's not going anywhere.

elliot got the "you're a nice guy, thanks for playing, don't let the door hit you on the way out edit," kat got the official bo bice beam me up scotty lighting, and taylor got the pimp spot. it really couldn't be more obvious. they all have lovely voices, so that doesn't matter anymore (not like it ever did... this isn't a singing competition and if you think it is you're deluding yourself). the single best moment of the season was kat calling randy out on his "this was the wrong song" bullshit when she didn't even pick the damn song.

in previous years, it was Loud is the New Good

now it's Spastic is the New Good

I read that the rehearsal clips were used only for the last 1 or 2 performances of the night because there isn't enough time to edit the footage down between the time the performance(s) end and when the recaps are shown. I've definitely noticed this for the very last performance but can't say that I've paid enough attention to the others to make a comparison.

QUOTE (roll the bones @ May 17 2006, 10:57 AM)
I read that the rehearsal clips were used only for the last 1 or 2 performances of the night because there isn't enough time to edit the footage down between the time the performance(s) end and when the recaps are shown. I've definitely noticed this for the very last performance but can't say that I've paid enough attention to the others to make a comparison.

they use it for others too, as i said, depending on who they want to make look better or worse than they really were. they would never admit to such manipulation, but they do it, and i've seen the proof

i think taylor will win for a couple of reasons.

first of all, he's (as far as I know) NEVER been in the bottom two or bottom three. the guy obviously has a helluva lot of fans out there.

secondly, he's just plain got more charisma then kathering and goatboy combined, and then some. not only can he sing with a really unique and interesting style, he's SOOOO likeable. sure he gets out of hand with his giddy and goofy dancing, but at least the guy has some guts and puts it all out there every time. katherine has been my favorite for awhile - she can sing and boy she's easy on the eyes, but she's a tad bit vanilla and not terribly exciting. goatboy can sing but has zero charisma and it's almost painful to watch him peform sometimes.

i tried voting for taylor like 90 minutes after the show ended and the lines were still busy, so i think he's a sure thing for the finals.

Don't know why, but Taylor was the whole reason I started watching this damn show. I saw the audition episode and how Simon nagged that the other judges would never let him into the top 24 (ha!) I just wanted to see how far a guy like that could get before everybody got tired of him. Who knew?

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ May 17 2006, 07:36 AM)
they're in the pimp spot
want to pimp/depimp

if a pimped contestant
does worse in the live show than in the rehearsal, they almost always show the rehearsal footage in the recap, and it will be cut so the strongest part of the performance is shown.

the show is about subtle (and not so subtle) manipulation, across the board.

I appreciate your input feelingwithyourskin, but what's all this pimpin' stuff? laugh.gif

Glad others have noticed this. wink.gif

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ May 17 2006, 02:28 PM)
QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ May 17 2006, 07:36 AM)
they're in the pimp spot
want to pimp/depimp

if a pimped contestant
does worse in the live show than in the rehearsal, they almost always show the rehearsal footage in the recap, and it will be cut so the strongest part of the performance is shown.

the show is about subtle (and not so subtle) manipulation, across the board.

I appreciate your input feelingwithyourskin, but what's all this pimpin' stuff? laugh.gif

Glad others have noticed this. wink.gif

mmm... cynicism wink.gif

A lot of cynicism!

Not to defend the show too strongly, but they use the rehearsal footage for everybody in that final clip segment; it's the only way to splice it together in time before the end of the show. Fox and AI aren't deliberately 'pimping' one contestant over the other; trying to make a specific contestant look better than the others. And the order they perform in is picked randomly each week; no clever placing of a particular favorite in the last - or 'pimp' - spot.

Or maybe I'm just too gullible. Anyhoo, it beats being overly cynical.

i prefer reality wink.gif

they do not use the rehearsal footage for everyone. as i said, i've seen it proven.

and they do deliberately give more contestants more positive face time, more positive comments, and more incentive for people to vote than others. to believe otherwise is, as you said yourself, gullibility. the fact is that they must market the winning product, so they do whatever they can to get the product that they want to market

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ May 13 2006, 11:38 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 13 2006, 05:17 PM)
To feelingwithyourskin:

I screwed up.

In what may be the most bitterly ironic moments in TRF mod history, I hit 'Delete' instead of 'Quote' in your message concerning a deleted post. I must have just had delete on the brain when I went to reply to it and hit it without thinking. I hope that you will accept my humble apology, and understand that I'm only human.

Now, the reason I was going to reply to your post in the first place was to ask: What deleted post were you referring to?

hey, it's ok, i was just confused and feeling ignored.

hate posted " heart.gif " after a few of my posts all over the board, and those posts were deleted. i'm not sure what he did wrong... he was showing support for what i said, which i appreciated, so i'm not sure why they were deleted since they were positive and harmless.

did he do something wrong of which i am not aware?

bumper.gif

yeah, still waiting for an answer. i don't forget things.

ever.

an answer to my inquiry would be appreciated.

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ May 17 2006, 02:24 PM)
the fact is that they must market the winning product, so they do whatever they can to get the product that they want to market

So they want to market, say, Elliot the Goatboy over marketing Chris Daughtry? Come on! Daughtry practically markets himself, while Goatboy - void of any charisma - needs too much work.