IDOL

launchpad67a

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 25 2006, 08:53 AM)
Did anyone else see David Hasselhoff in the audience, crying?? What was that about?

laugh.gif

I was laughing my ass off at that. rofl3.gif

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another interesting thing is when they tell us how votes there were. It was like 63 million or something, and they seem very proud of that.

The truth is that if people were able to get through EVERY time they called, it would be well into the hundreds of millions. Could that have changed the outcome?

I must have tried redial 50-100 times to vote for Katharine. I got through once and consider myself lucky to have done so. In other weeks and other years, I wasn't able to get through at all.

If the phone lines are THAT jammed for hours with votes for both competitors, is it really a fair indication of who wins? Who's to say that in a close race if every call was able to get through, that the outcome couldn't be different? Just something to consider...

Edited by rushgoober

In general I found the show entertaining last night, but some of the special guest stars were pretty awful. Al Jarreau did OK, but Dionne Warwick sounded terrible and Meat Loaf wasn't far behind her. The Meat Loaf/Katharine McPhee duet did not work at ALL. My wife was scolding me for being judgmental about the guest artists as they were getting old, but even so it didn't make them sound good.

Mary K. Blige sounded AWFUL, and I was glad Simon wasn't rating her performance. Toni Braxton probably sounded good, but I couldn't hear her at all. Microphone problems? confused13.gif

The only non-idol performers where it really worked for me was Burt Bacharach (well, his piano playing was fine), LIVE and Prince.

Carrie Underwood did fine, I guess, if you like that kind of music. Clay Aiken similarly did pretty good, but I was so distracted by his hair that I don't remember his singing that well.

God, I feel like Joan Rivers reviewing dresses on the red carpet. I'll shut up now. scared.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 25 2006, 09:15 AM)
Another interesting thing is when they tell us how votes there were. It was like 63 million or something, and they seem very proud of that.

The truth is that if people were able to get through EVERY time they called, it would be well into the hundreds of millions. Could that have changed the outcome?

I must have tried redial 50-100 times to vote for Katharine. I got through once and consider myself lucky to have done so. In other weeks and other years, I wasn't able to get through at all.

If the phone lines are THAT jammed for hours with votes for both competitors, is it really a fair indication of who wins? Who's to say that in a close race if every call was able to get through, that the outcome couldn't be different? Just something to consider...

I will repeat what I have said in the past. There should be only one vote allowed per phone number.

several years have been statistical ties.

personally, if they really wanted this to be based on who is more marketable, people should only be allowed to vote if they plan on buying the album. of course, then the stupid teenyboppers would have to get credit card numbers and it would take a fairly long time, and the producers couldn't brag about the number of votes they got tongue.gif

and skype opens a whole other can of worms

in the end, america gets the idol they deserve wink.gif just remember, spastic is the new good

Edited by feelingwithyourskin

Goob -

Looking at dialidol.com stats (and other polls), the vote wasn't even close. It was Taylor by a mile.

Some polls showed him with as much as 75% of the vote.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 25 2006, 12:37 PM)
Goob -

Looking at dialidol.com stats (and other polls), the vote wasn't even close. It was Taylor by a mile.

yeah, i knew he'd lose when i looked at cnn.com the night of the finale performances and taylor had 68% or something outrageous like that.

i think they should either announce the percentages all the time or never, because you know when they don't that the person who lost got beat really badly.

out of curiosity, had simon NOT made the comment that Taylor should win, would he have still won? if he had said katharine should win, would that have guaranteed her victory?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 25 2006, 04:37 PM)
Goob -

dialidol, and other statistical tallying methods don't take text messaging into account, because there is no way to count this. by rough estimate, kat was getting tons more text messages than taylor, so they were most likely much closer than dialidol predicted.

as for online polls, they're notoriously off. last year most polls had scott savol as being in last place every week, and he came in 5th.

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ May 25 2006, 04:44 PM)
dialidol, and other statistical tallying methods don't take text messaging into account, because there is no way to count this.  by rough estimate, kat was getting tons more text messages than taylor, so they were most likely much closer than dialidol predicted.

Closer than dialidol predicted, maybe, but I still don't think it was even close.

They couldn't have been that far off, could they?

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 24 2006, 06:56 AM)
I'd like to take a tip from Brewster's Millions and vote for "None of the Above."

Daughtry's gone, alas. He should've won this competition in a cakewalk.

Except he had no diversity, never showed any growth, and he's a bitter asshole, so f**k him.

Taylor winning with 75% of the vote is a total crock. The final 3 all had 33.xx% of the vote last week, so there is no possible way the final results were so lopsided.

The judges wanted Taylor to win, they always slammed Katharine for no reason. They gripe about her song choice when she gets handed a crappy song, or she picks a crappy song off the list they give her to choose from. I'm glad she got a little pissy with them over that.

Taylor is the most tone-deaf gay on the planet. There's just no other way around it.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 25 2006, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ May 25 2006, 04:44 PM)
dialidol, and other statistical tallying methods don't take text messaging into account, because there is no way to count this.  by rough estimate, kat was getting tons more text messages than taylor, so they were most likely much closer than dialidol predicted.

Closer than dialidol predicted, maybe, but I still don't think it was even close.

They couldn't have been that far off, could they?

if the vote was 50% phone voting and 50% percent text voting (which seems to be fairly close to reality) then yes they could be that off, depending on how many text votes each contestant got.

dialidol was a fairly decent predictor in the middle/end of the competiton as they refined the process as the season progressed, but remember the week that they put kat in the bottom three and she was in the top two - i believe it was the night that kellie was kicked off. it's close, and a pretty damn accurate predictor of phone voting. as for text votes, i believe it could be off as to the current standings by anywhere up to 25% of the vote, especially when it gets down to only two people.

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ May 25 2006, 03:53 PM)
having strong opinions about taylor being an asshole (which, imo, he is) and kat getting thrown under the bus by the judges (which, imo, she was) is trollish? geezfuck that bullshit http://67.18.37.15/1234/187/emo/rolleyes2.gif

it was the way it was put. i did say "borderline" and i could be wrong. anyway, time will tell...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 25 2006, 07:15 PM)
bordercollie, did you forget to eat your bowl of sewage this morning? you're acting borderline trollish...

unsure.gif

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ May 25 2006, 07:53 PM)
having strong opinions about taylor being an asshole (which, imo, he is) and kat getting thrown under the bus by the judges (which, imo, she was) is trollish? geezfuck that bullshit http://67.18.37.15/1234/187/emo/rolleyes2.gif

I gotta go along with BC and skinny on this one, that guy irritated the piss outta me, its like Michael McDonald and Joe Cocker f*cked and unleashed a big twitching pile of untalented shit on an unwhitting public. I just hope his career is as crappy as Ruebens and we wont have to see him much longer. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I just wish everyone would watch their language just a little bit. I don't mean you have to sound puritanical, but could you please pull back on some of the more extreme euphemisms? I like to keep this place as family-friendly as possible. Plus, we are all capable of communicating without being graphically vulgar, aren't we?

Also, strong opinions are encouraged and welcome.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 26 2006, 04:16 AM)
I just wish everyone would watch their language just a little bit. I don't mean you have to sound puritanical, but could you please pull back on some of the more extreme euphemisms? I like to keep this place as family-friendly as possible. Plus, we are all capable of communicating without being graphically vulgar, aren't we?

yeah, that's all i was saying, though jack said it better...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 25 2006, 06:15 PM)
bordercollie, did you forget to eat your wheaties this morning? you're acting borderline trollish...

I'll hold my tongue on what I really want to say. Sorry I offended... just that word it's commonly used in everyday dialogue by my peers and I, and it slips.

QUOTE (bordercollie @ May 26 2006, 10:07 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 25 2006, 06:15 PM)
bordercollie, did you forget to eat your wheaties this morning?  you're acting borderline trollish...

I'll hold my tongue on what I really want to say. Sorry I offended... just that word it's commonly used in everyday dialogue by my peers and I, and it slips.

Outstanding. Thanks, man.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 26 2006, 07:16 AM)

Nice reminder there some other threads need reminding too ,after all this is a Family Forum & some offensive stuff for young ones to read goodpost.gif