Mammograms

blonde77th

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Jan 3 2012, 08:03 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 3 2012, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Jan 3 2012, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jan 3 2012, 12:22 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 3 2012, 02:38 AM)
QUOTE (NobodysHeroine @ Dec 28 2011, 06:58 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 27 2011, 05:47 PM)
I had my hereditary cancer genetic testing done this morning at the doctors. I went with the blood draw method but I guess there's another method where you rinse your mouth and spit.

Should have test results back around Jan. 9th. I was tested for breast, ovarian and colon cancer.

Good luck, Janie. hug2.gif

I plan on looking into genetic testing when I'm older, as well. It's better safe than sorry, as they say. You never know, especially with the many medical conditions in my family. unsure.gif

I'm not entirely too sure when I'm supposed to have mine done. I've read conflicting reports from the medical profession that some women are supposed to have them done from the age of 50, of which I've got 10 years left to wait, or from 40, which I'm that age now, and it was said that it was revised to 40. I guess what I should do, is next time I go to my doctor, I'll ask her.

Definitely. I think most doctor's these days start recommending mammograms around the age of 35-40. I would get one done sooner rather than later. Other than my mom, there was no other family member diagnosed with breast cancer. She had a large tumor by the age of 50 which means she had breast cancer well before her 50th birthday.

It's always better to be safe than sorry. Besides, a mammogram really doesn't take long and even though the process can be uncomfortable, it only lasts for a few seconds.

You are supposed to get a baseline done at 40, before if there is a family history of breast or ovarian cancers. So I would contact my doctor and insurance company, find out the procedure, and get one done!

There's never been a family history of cancer (breast or ovarian), so that rules that out. Maybe I'm panicking a little.

I've also read from women that those nurses sort of ram you into the x-ray machine, causing bruises.

Is there a place that is certified to do mammograms in your area? My clinic is very good, and the tech does not do compressions that bruise, and minimize the pain,but they are specially trained and nationally certified. Also, take some advil or tylenol before you go! I wish someone had told me that before my first one! It really helped the second time. but don't let fear keep you away. The time is now to get a baseline, so they can tell what is normal, if you should have problems later.

Most likely a London clinic. Small family-type doctors surgeries don't tend to do them. Will check next time.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 3 2012, 11:50 AM)
I had my hereditary cancer genetic testing done this morning at the doctors. I went with the blood draw method but I guess there's another method where you rinse your mouth and spit.

Should have test results back around Jan. 9th. I was tested for breast, ovarian and colon cancer.

I plan on looking into genetic testing when I'm older, as well. It's better safe than sorry, as they say. You never know, especially with the many medical conditions in my family. unsure.gif

I'm not entirely too sure when I'm supposed to have mine done. I've read conflicting reports from the medical profession that some women are supposed to have them done from the age of 50, of which I've got 10 years left to wait, or from 40, which I'm that age now, and it was said that it was revised to 40. I guess what I should do, is next time I go to my doctor, I'll ask her.

Definitely. I think most doctor's these days start recommending mammograms around the age of 35-40. I would get one done sooner rather than later. Other than my mom, there was no other family member diagnosed with breast cancer. She had a large tumor by the age of 50 which means she had breast cancer well before her 50th birthday.

It's always better to be safe than sorry. Besides, a mammogram really doesn't take long and even though the process can be uncomfortable, it only lasts for a few seconds.

You are supposed to get a baseline done at 40, before if there is a family history of breast or ovarian cancers. So I would contact my doctor and insurance company, find out the procedure, and get one done!

There's never been a family history of cancer (breast or ovarian), so that rules that out. Maybe I'm panicking a little.

I've also read from women that those nurses sort of ram you into the x-ray machine, causing bruises.

Dear god! Do NOT go to a clinic that is going to roughhouse with your girls so much that they bruise. How awful! What horrible treatment.

Even though there's no family history, that's no guarantee. Women are diagnosed with breast cancer at all ages. You can never be too careful with your health.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jan 4 2012, 05:01 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 3 2012, 11:50 AM)

Dear god! Do NOT go to a clinic that is going to roughhouse with your girls so much that they bruise. How awful! What horrible treatment.

Even though there's no family history, that's no guarantee. Women are diagnosed with breast cancer at all ages. You can never be too careful with your health.

You've got a point there, Janie - age and family history aside, there are no guarantees.

And as for 'roughhousing the girls', woebetide that nurse who messes with my boobies..!

Edited by Babycat

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 27 2011, 02:47 PM)

I finally got the results:

"No mutation detected."

bncegrn.gifbncegrn.gifbncegrn.gifbncegrn.gifbncegrn.gifbncegrn.gif

I was expecting to hear that there was a mutation because of all the cancer in my family. I can't believe this news!

That's great news Janie.

As for ovarian cancer... they are recommending even women my age 25-30 get checked for it because we are having a high development of ovarian cysts. I know 5 women who have had ovarian cysts before they were 30 and one actually had ovarian tumours so bad that they ended up removing both her ovaries. They say that ovarian cysts are benign but why do they keep coming back?

Tumours on the ovaries seem to be occurring less frequently in our age bracket but if they turn out to be cysts, depending on the size and growth speed they can also cause a lot of problems.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jan 18 2012, 12:42 PM)
That's great news Janie.

As for ovarian cancer... they are recommending even women my age 25-30 get checked for it because we are having a high development of ovarian cysts. I know 5 women who have had ovarian cysts before they were 30 and one actually had ovarian tumours so bad that they ended up removing both her ovaries. They say that ovarian cysts are benign but why do they keep coming back?
Tumours on the ovaries seem to be occurring less frequently in our age bracket but if they turn out to be cysts, depending on the size and growth speed they can also cause a lot of problems.

I've already had the experience of an ovarian cyst, and I'm quite young. It was completely benign and was taken care of easily. However, I'll be sure to get tested for ovarian cancer when the time comes, as well as other forms of cancer. Oh, Ged, I certainly hope that it doesn't go that far. sad.gif

Men sometimes just have no idea how great they have it compared to us. I detest being a woman sometimes... eh.gif

QUOTE (NobodysHeroine @ Jan 18 2012, 02:37 PM)
That's great news Janie.

I've already had the experience of an ovarian cyst, and I'm quite young. It was completely benign and was taken care of easily. However, I'll be sure to get tested for ovarian cancer when the time comes, as well as other forms of cancer. Oh, Ged, I certainly hope that it doesn't go that far. sad.gif

Men sometimes just have no idea how great they have it compared to us. I detest being a woman sometimes... eh.gif

Well once they hit 40 they have to start getting prostate exams which let me tell you is much more uncomfortable than a pelvic exam. So they don't have it THAT much easier in that respect. A lot of men actually die from prostate cancer because they refuse to get tested because they don't want to have a doctor stick their fingers up there.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jan 18 2012, 03:54 PM)
QUOTE (NobodysHeroine @ Jan 18 2012, 02:37 PM)
That's great news Janie.

Well once they hit 40 they have to start getting prostate exams which let me tell you is much more uncomfortable than a pelvic exam. So they don't have it THAT much easier in that respect. A lot of men actually die from prostate cancer because they refuse to get tested because they don't want to have a doctor stick their fingers up there.

That was a bit of a harsh generalization, and an unwarranted one. I apologize. heart.gif

Cancer is a tragedy. It can devastate anyone, man or woman, I know that. sad.gif

I had my first breast MRI Friday as part of the preventative care program I'm involved with (my mom had breast cancer). I got a call today that I have to go back for another mammo and ultrasound - they want to check something on the right side.

I'm scared, for sure. The nurse said it was "probably" nothing, but...

Anyway, if the mammo & ultrasound aren't conclusive, then I have to have a biopsy. They haven't called me with new appointment times so I really wish they'd hurry up so I can know what is going on.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 27 2012, 09:59 AM)
I had my first breast MRI Friday as part of the preventative care program I'm involved with (my mom had breast cancer). I got a call today that I have to go back for another mammo and ultrasound - they want to check something on the right side.

I'm scared, for sure. The nurse said it was "probably" nothing, but...

Anyway, if the mammo & ultrasound aren't conclusive, then I have to have a biopsy. They haven't called me with new appointment times so I really wish they'd hurry up so I can know what is going on.

I'll be sending you positive vibes, sis. I'm sure it's all ok. hug2.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 27 2012, 03:59 PM)
I had my first breast MRI Friday as part of the preventative care program I'm involved with (my mom had breast cancer).  I got a call today that I have to go back for another mammo and ultrasound - they want to check something on the right side.

I'm scared, for sure.  The nurse said it was "probably" nothing, but...

Anyway, if the mammo & ultrasound aren't conclusive, then I have to have a biopsy.  They haven't called me with new appointment times so I really wish they'd hurry up so I can know what is going on.

Sending you lots of hug2.gif s

I had to go back for a follow-up ultrasound and possible biopsy last year for my left side, GhostGirl, and the biopsy wasn't needed after the ultrasound revealed nothing suspicious, thank goodness. I'm sure yours will turn out well too. It's a good thing they are extra careful, but it sure does things to your nerves while they keep you waiting. Sending good bewb vibes your way as well.

Thank you all for the support. hug2.gif I go back March 20 for the follow-up tests. Will let you all know how it goes. Now I just have to WAIT.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Feb 27 2012, 11:25 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 27 2012, 09:59 AM)
I had my first breast MRI Friday as part of the preventative care program I'm involved with (my mom had breast cancer).  I got a call today that I have to go back for another mammo and ultrasound - they want to check something on the right side.

I'm scared, for sure.  The nurse said it was "probably" nothing, but...

Anyway, if the mammo & ultrasound aren't conclusive, then I have to have a biopsy.  They haven't called me with new appointment times so I really wish they'd hurry up so I can know what is going on.

I'll be sending you positive vibes, sis. I'm sure it's all ok. hug2.gif

eyesre4.gif Almost every time i get a mamo...i get called back. I think its a money making scheme! Im always allright ! I dont even get worried anymore.