The Cycling Thread!

D-13

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 18 2010, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 16 2010, 03:52 PM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Jun 16 2010, 12:08 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 16 2010, 02:51 AM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/squeaktoysneezer/012-6-1.jpg
Here's the new wheels.

biggrin.gif

Wow, nice! Almost the same as my Gabe! biggrin.gif tongue.gif

Ya I noticed that. I just got a new gel seat for him cause my poor bottom was hurting after not riding for a while and then riding on rocky trails. doh.gif

I haven't named him yet, gotta think of a good one.

Alex? Lerxst? It could be your chance to ride Alex regularly!

Hmmm... now there's a good idea. I was thinking Lerxst would be a good name. I would love to say I'm gonna go ride Lerxst. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 19 2010, 04:30 AM)
Here's the new wheels.

biggrin.gif

Ya I noticed that. I just got a new gel seat for him cause my poor bottom was hurting after not riding for a while and then riding on rocky trails. doh.gif

Hmmm... now there's a good idea. I was thinking Lerxst would be a good name. I would love to say I'm gonna go ride Lerxst. laugh.gif

Just don't forget the lube... for the chain, that is... wink.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Jun 23 2010, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 19 2010, 04:30 AM)
Here's the new wheels.

biggrin.gif

Just don't forget the lube... for the chain, that is... wink.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Oh Jaye... you know I never ride without my trusty lube.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jul 3 2010, 11:15 AM)
New Wheels!

Diamondback Edgewood LX
Nicknamed: "Ellwood"

http://www.thebikestand.com/DB2010EdgewoodLXBlue_Profile_LRG.jpg

1022.gif nice ride.

can't wait to get back on my bike. i see the doctor on tuesday and hopefully my rehab will allow for some mellow biking to begin with. i tore a muscle in my calf 5 weeks ago.

Hopefully your rehab is going well, tangy.

Next Sunday I'm doing the CRW Climb to the Clouds.

I've been riding 50-150 miles a week. I did close to 70 miles today.

This Century is going to be a tough one, between the heat, the climbing, and the first rest stop being at the 55 mile mark. I'm hoping to get rolling as soon as I can after the 7:00a sign-in, so that I can put the first 55 miles behind me before the sun hits its maximum intensity. After that I just have to make it to the second rest stop at 80 miles, and the ride finish at 105 miles.

Something one of my co-workers told me about is that "5 Hour Energy" drink. I've tried it a few times with my cycling, and I can put out a lot faster and a lot longer. Unfortunately, as there's no free lunch, the bonk comes the morning after, instead of during the ride, so I'm going to be a hurting puppy at work and for Monday night's ride.

Looking at the ingredients, I don't see anything that's on the WADA Prohibited Substance list. As I'm just a recreational rider, I don't have to worry about that, but it's nice to know. Although WADA tests for caffeine, it's not presently a prohibited substance.

QUOTE (AgentScotty @ Jul 11 2010, 09:32 PM)

This Century is going to be a tough one, between the heat, the climbing, and the first rest stop being at the 55 mile mark. I'm hoping to get rolling as soon as I can after the 7:00a sign-in, so that I can put the first 55 miles behind me before the sun hits its maximum intensity. After that I just have to make it to the second rest stop at 80 miles, and the ride finish at 105 miles.

Something one of my co-workers told me about is that "5 Hour Energy" drink. I've tried it a few times with my cycling, and I can put out a lot faster and a lot longer. Unfortunately, as there's no free lunch, the bonk comes the morning after, instead of during the ride, so I'm going to be a hurting puppy at work and for Monday night's ride.

Looking at the ingredients, I don't see anything that's on the WADA Prohibited Substance list. As I'm just a recreational rider, I don't have to worry about that, but it's nice to know. Although WADA tests for caffeine, it's not presently a prohibited substance.

I would be very careful with this. That much caffeine can cause issues. Not just jitters. But, shakes, highly elevated heart rate (you'll find out if you have a heart condition!), as well as caffeine dehydrates you. So, if you're first stop isn't for a while and it's hot out, you're already behind the eight ball...

QUOTE (AgentScotty @ Jul 11 2010, 09:32 PM)

Thank You AgentScotty! The boot came off last tuesday and i am slowly getting stronger. I think about 2 more weeks till I can take a mellow ride.

Biking Rules! 1022.gif 2.gif

I have not bought a rush shirt in over 20 years but really want one of those

2112 biking shirts.

Good luck on the climb to the clouds AgentScotty!

Had a GREAT ride this morning around one of our lakes in OKC, Lake Hefner. Amazingly beautiful sunrise, no wind and a little coolness to the air...are you kidding me?? A biker's dream!!

QUOTE (ForceTen @ Jul 12 2010, 06:15 AM)
I would be very careful with this.  That much caffeine can cause issues.  Not just jitters.  But, shakes, highly elevated heart rate (you'll find out if you have a heart condition!), as well as caffeine dehydrates you.  So, if you're first stop isn't for a while and it's hot out, you're already behind the eight ball...

I get a little bit of a rush when I first take it, but then I feel great once I start riding.

As I'm now allergic to certain urethanes and acrylates, I can't wear my heart rate monitor anymore, but I used to average 137-147 beats per minute while riding (my aerobic threshold is around 152 bpm), and would often hit 160-180 bpm on the uphills. My max observed heart rate a few years ago was 187 bpm, which is probably higher than a 38-42-year-old is supposed to go. My heart rate is generally north of 100 bpm for a good 30-60 minutes after a hard ride, and as far as I can tell, the energy shots haven't changed that in either direction.

The first time I did it, I ended up sleeping 12 hours the next day, and had no gas in the tank for another day after that.

I did it twice on Sunday (2 rides, 34-35 miles each), and I felt fine on Monday. I did it again Monday (1 ride, 37 miles) and felt a bit weak at about the 10 mile point, but I was still able to finish the ride with an average speed of 16.8 MPH, which is a good 1.5-2 MPH faster than I was doing the last few seasons without the energy shot or Coke/Pepsi/etc.

After 20-30 years of drinking too much Coke/Pepsi/etc (a few cans a day as a teenager, up to 6-12-18 cans a day as a blue-collar worker trink36.gif ) I've probably messed up my metabolism pretty good. I haven't had any Coke/Pepsi/etc since June 12th, and I'm still dragging, but I'm trying as hard as I can to not fall back into drinking that crap.

I probably drink a half-gallon to a gallon and a half of water a day, so I'm not too concerned about dehydration.

Based on past experience, if I can stay off the Coke/Pepsi/etc for 2 months or longer, and get my weight under 200 lbs, my riding will greatly improve. I just need to take up running or some other sport during the winter and stop gaining weight during the off-season.

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jul 12 2010, 10:03 PM)
i ordered this one from Primal - yes.gif

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/RUFLJ20M.jpg

653.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

98 degrees today - 15 degrees hotter than last week - don't know why but i actually was stronger on the climbs than i was last week - Maybe my old bones just like the heat - confused13.gif

I survived the "Climb to the Clouds". It was probably one of the toughest centuries I've ever done.

This year was apparently easier than others, as the last leg of the road to the top was closed. It was still a heck of a climb, though.

I looked through some of the ride pictures, and found mine: http://seemebiking.com/Thumbimages/Waterma...de/DSC_0351.jpg

QUOTE (AgentScotty @ Jul 19 2010, 11:36 PM)
I survived the "Climb to the Clouds". It was probably one of the toughest centuries I've ever done.

This year was apparently easier than others, as the last leg of the road to the top was closed. It was still a heck of a climb, though.

I looked through some of the ride pictures, and found mine: http://seemebiking.com/Thumbimages/Waterma...de/DSC_0351.jpg

1022.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 20 2010, 08:47 AM)
QUOTE (AgentScotty @ Jul 19 2010, 11:36 PM)
I survived the "Climb to the Clouds".  It was probably one of the toughest centuries I've ever done.

This year was apparently easier than others, as the last leg of the road to the top was closed.  It was still a heck of a climb, though.

I looked through some of the ride pictures, and found mine:  http://seemebiking.com/Thumbimages/Waterma...de/DSC_0351.jpg

1022.gif applaudit.gif

trink39.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (AgentScotty @ Jul 20 2010, 12:36 AM)

nice photo.