The Cycling Thread!

D-13

So glad that he is Ok, Mara! I have had too many close-calls on the bike (nearly got hit by a semi truck once...really! Only thing that saved me was a quick bunny hop and sprinting as my tires hit the ground!). I never ride my bike without a lid! cool.gif

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jun 6 2010, 05:08 AM)
So glad that he is Ok, Mara! I have had too many close-calls on the bike (nearly got hit by a semi truck once...really! Only thing that saved me was a quick bunny hop and sprinting as my tires hit the ground!). I never ride my bike without a lid! cool.gif

You know how CAlifornia is, we don't have a choice in my city wear it or get a ticket - laugh.gif

Of course i've had one for 15 years never ride without it -

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 6 2010, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ May 26 2010, 03:08 PM)
44 miles today - last 22 of it into the nastiest headwind - totally demoralizes you -

Headwinds are completely miserable.

yes.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 5 2010, 08:31 PM)
Ok, guys, I am probably preaching to the choir here, but it can never be said often enough:

Wear your helmet.

My husband just came home from what I THOUGHT was an all day training session with his buddy. In reality, husband hit a hidden pothole about 25 miles out and flipped over the handlebars. Both tires popped and the force was hard enough to drop his handlebars down a couple of inches.

His helmet is destroyed. He doesn't even have a headache.

(Yes, he's okay. Very sore, may have cracked a rib or 2, and has some nasty, nasty road rash. He didn't come home for a few hours, hung out at his buddy's house doing a bit of recovery).

I second that bit of sound advice...

Out for my first ride since having knee surgery back in January.

I've been on my spin bike everyday, but there is nothing better than being back on the road.

Couldn't get "Marathon" out of my head on the climbs.

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jun 7 2010, 05:31 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 5 2010, 08:31 PM)
Ok, guys, I am probably preaching to the choir here, but it can never be said often enough:

Wear your helmet.

My husband just came home from what I THOUGHT was an all day training session with his buddy.  In reality, husband hit a hidden pothole about 25 miles out and flipped over the handlebars.  Both tires popped and the force was hard enough to drop his handlebars down a couple of inches.

His helmet is destroyed.  He doesn't even have a headache.

(Yes, he's okay.  Very sore, may have cracked a rib or 2, and has some nasty, nasty road rash.  He didn't come home for a few hours, hung out at his buddy's house doing a bit of recovery).

I second that bit of sound advice...

good advice. no one leaves their house thinking that they are going to fall/crash today. you have to be prepared. those road id things that are on every commercial brake on Versus are probable not a bad idea either.

Just a reminder that the real climbers live in europe - wacko.gif

Passo dello Stelvio

48 if your counting banghead.gif Picture not big enough to hold them all

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/passo_dello_stelvio_31.jpg

Edited by alphseeker

I was ready to wear a helmet around 1995 (those Bell "Courage for Your Head" commercials made helmets look cool instead of dorky), but didn't for a few reasons: Ppl kept trying to mandate it, and the lion's share of helmeted cyclists I saw were the ones riding on the sidewalks, against traffic, etc. doh.gif

I started wearing a helmet around 2001, as I was riding with a group of offroad cyclists that were riding increasingly technical terrain, to the point that it wasn't a matter of if I'd crash, but when. bolt.gif

Of course, once I started wearing one, I started riding like the peeps in those old Bell commercials... biggrin.gif

Although I've never had a serious crash in over 20,000 miles of cycling, I don't think I'd go back to not wearing a helmet. The temptation does strike when I see one of those rare old-schoolers (usually 40-70 years old) flying down the road with his hair blowing in the wind (or videos of the Tour de France from years gone by), but I've had enough close calls in the last 10,000 miles that I've been wearing a helmet that it's not worth taking the chance.

Especially as I'm one of those speed freaks that tries to push 40+ MPH on every downhill. biggrin.gif

Seems like some serious biking going on here, pretty awesome. Last spring I talked the wife into getting some bikes and we spent all last summer and fall riding. It was pretty awesome though we are just casual riders and would log 30 to 40 miles a few times a week. A co-worker has a nice racing bike that he has never used I'm trying to get him to part with.

I live in the Dayton, Oh area and there are endless miles of paved bike trails all over the place. We would ride 15 or 20 miles to a little town, stop and have lunch and shop or something and then head back. Great exercise and great times.

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jun 7 2010, 06:21 PM)
Just a reminder that the real climbers live in europe - wacko.gif

Passo dello Stelvio

48 if your counting banghead.gif Picture not big enough to hold them all

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/passo_dello_stelvio_31.jpg

nice.

184 miles last week - was on vacation so i thought i was going to do more but got called back to work - getting my long rides in the mountains before the dog days of hell - th1245.gif Edited by alphseeker

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 11 2010, 07:43 PM)
I got a bike yesterday! FINALLY!!!

Was out yesterday breaking her in.

Will post pics later.

biggrin.gif

Yay! 653.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Jun 15 2010, 10:39 AM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 11 2010, 07:43 PM)
I got a bike yesterday! FINALLY!!!

Was out yesterday breaking her in.

Will post pics later.

biggrin.gif

Yay! 653.gif

I uploaded the pics today so I'll post them when I hook my laptop up to the internet... maybe tonight. I also took some nice scenery shots here I'll post those as well. smile.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 16 2010, 02:51 AM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/squeaktoysneezer/012-6-1.jpg
Here's the new wheels.

biggrin.gif

Wow, nice! Almost the same as my Gabe! biggrin.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 15 2010, 08:51 PM)
Here's the new wheels.

biggrin.gif

Congrats! Getting new wheels is ALWAYS a treat! Now....GO RIDE!!!! Better yet, 2.gif !

QUOTE (Jaye @ Jun 16 2010, 12:08 PM)
Here's the new wheels.

biggrin.gif

Ya I noticed that. I just got a new gel seat for him cause my poor bottom was hurting after not riding for a while and then riding on rocky trails. doh.gif

I haven't named him yet, gotta think of a good one.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 16 2010, 03:52 PM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Jun 16 2010, 12:08 PM)
Here's the new wheels.

biggrin.gif

Ya I noticed that. I just got a new gel seat for him cause my poor bottom was hurting after not riding for a while and then riding on rocky trails. doh.gif

I haven't named him yet, gotta think of a good one.

Alex? Lerxst? It could be your chance to ride Alex regularly!