The Cycling Thread!

D-13

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Mar 19 2010, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Mar 18 2010, 06:10 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Mar 18 2010, 09:08 PM)
What a great day for a bike ride... unfortunately I am still without wheels. Went for a run instead.

I want a bike. sad.gif

Well, get one! biggrin.gif

I think that is definitely going to happen this summer. The only thing is I really hate biking in this city. Everyone I know who bikes has gotten hit by at least 1 car or has got their bike stolen at least once. The motorists here are insane, you have to be a road warrior to deal with biking in the street. My neighbourhood kinda sucks because of all the buildings there aren't many bike trails around here. I have to drive to a place with bike paths so I can ride my bike safely. wacko.gif

Hmm, sounds a bit manic. You could ride on the pavement mst of the time. I know you're not supposed to unless it has a cycle path, but it's better than risking getting hit.

As for bikes getting stolen, if they're locked up with a secure chain they should be alright. Unless there are a lot of psycho opportunists with really heavy duty bolt cutters! wacko.gif Also, leaving it in a very public/crowded place is a good idea.

I'm sure you'll find some safe places to ride. A nearby park, maybe?

Although I live in a city with lots of busy roads, I'm lucky to be close to a lot of small towns, so I can ride a few miles down the busy road I live near, and then turn off into areas with a lot less traffic.

That's a bummer having to drive to get to safer territory, but it beats getting hit, getting the horn and/or the finger, cans/bottles/trash thrown at you, etc. Yeah, there are a fair number of jerks and nutters in my neck of the woods, so I try to stay off the busy roads whenever possible.

I did my third ride of the year this afternoon, and my second in two days. I had to grit my teeth for 4.5 miles before I could sit down properly. The first time riding two days in a row is the hardest part of starting the season for me, but now that it's "behind" me, the rest of the season should be easier.

My average speed on the early rides is a lot better this year than many prior years, so hopefully that's a sign I'll be up to speed more quickly this season.

I'm glad I made it out today: The weather was originally supposed to be nice Thursday through Sunday, but now that's been cut back to Saturday. Saturday will be 70F and clear, but Sunday will now be 52F and cloudy, with rain later in the day.

I try and get in 5000 miles a year on my road or mountain bike between South Florida and DC. One thing Florida is so flat it's gets boring as hell, love it when I can stand up and pedal.

I try and get in 5000 miles a year on my road or mountain bike between South Florida and DC. One thing Florida is so flat it's gets boring as hell, love it when I can stand up and pedal.

QUOTE (Jaye @ Mar 29 2008, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (Part 4 of a Trilogy @ Mar 30 2008, 12:09 AM)
ooops, i clicked on this thinking i read "The Bikini thread"..

eyesre4.gif OK, I think we've had enough of that 'joke' now... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I do apologize. z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Mar 19 2010, 01:06 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Mar 19 2010, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Mar 18 2010, 06:10 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Mar 18 2010, 09:08 PM)
What a great day for a bike ride... unfortunately I am still without wheels. Went for a run instead.

I want a bike. sad.gif

Well, get one! biggrin.gif

I think that is definitely going to happen this summer. The only thing is I really hate biking in this city. Everyone I know who bikes has gotten hit by at least 1 car or has got their bike stolen at least once. The motorists here are insane, you have to be a road warrior to deal with biking in the street. My neighbourhood kinda sucks because of all the buildings there aren't many bike trails around here. I have to drive to a place with bike paths so I can ride my bike safely. wacko.gif

Hmm, sounds a bit manic. You could ride on the pavement mst of the time. I know you're not supposed to unless it has a cycle path, but it's better than risking getting hit.

As for bikes getting stolen, if they're locked up with a secure chain they should be alright. Unless there are a lot of psycho opportunists with really heavy duty bolt cutters! wacko.gif Also, leaving it in a very public/crowded place is a good idea.

I'm sure you'll find some safe places to ride. A nearby park, maybe?

It's crazy here. Streets downtown have bike lanes for the commuters, but people still get hit by cars who aren't paying attention. unsure.gif

As for the bike stealing... the only way your bike wont get stolen is if you take off the seat when you chain it up. I know a few people who take their seats with them into where ever they are going. People walk around with bolt cutters and BAM, you're bikeless. I hate this city sometimes. angry.gif

What our transit buses have started doing is installing bike racks to the front of the buses. I might take the bus with my bike somewhere to ride I guess... but it's just stupid.

Was that W NH -to -Hampton an official century, or a do-it-yourself ride?

I've ridden the GSW Tri-State Seacoast Century every year from 2006 - 2009, though I only did 50 miles last year, due to the 35F temperature at 7am. Even riding from noon to 4pm, the warmest it ever got was 59F.

I'm in Nashua, so riding Nashua - Hampton - Nashua is a pretty good do-it-yourself almost-century. I think I got 98 miles out of that last year. If I didn't bonk as badly as I did, I could've tacked on a few more miles to make it official.

I think my favorite of the area Centuries is the NSC Blazing Saddles. I had to drop out after 60 miles in 2009 due to severe thunderstorms, probably the worst I've ever seen on a bike.

Five punctures. In one tube. Five! wacko.gif

It's those people throwing glass bottles on the ground. angry.gif Hate you all.

Poor Gabe... sad.gif

Didnt know this thread was here (I need to get out of the music sections once and a while : )

Avid road rider here. Haven't raced yet, but looking to join a club very soon and try my hand at some Cat V events. Love the sport!

QUOTE (tangy @ Dec 2 2009, 03:35 PM)
holy shit, this is one of the coolest mtn bike videos i have ever seen.

i read about this dude around here that made and rides a 6 foot tall mtn bike.

this is filmed on a trail that i ride. f***ing crazy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yORN4uCkc_M&feature=related

horsefeathers!

load up all my gear, drive out to the trail head and it just starts raining incredibly hard once the bikes are off the racks. I did not even ride as the trails are still super fragile due to the winter. shit.

I did get to met the dude in this video at the trail head. his bike is awesome.

I have been doing a ton of riding this year, having a blast.

I am looking at your suggestions on what set of wheels I should get for my ride as I am looking to upgrade. I generate a lot of power and need something durable that can be ridden regularly. Usually ride at a pace of 20-27 mph depending on conditions. Goal is to stay below $1,000.

Let's hear some suggestions!

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Mar 21 2010, 03:08 PM)
QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Mar 18 2010, 08:11 PM)
planning my century. shooting for july.

Where are you headed? I did a ride from the western part of NH to Hampton Beach once.

I'm starting at my place, then down to Hampton, along the beach for about 10 miles, then back to my house. Total Mileage- 100.69 (hehe)

QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Apr 29 2010, 12:06 AM)
What the hell is this crap?

Oh...It's not the BIKINI thread. blush4.gif

Wow, you're the first one who's ever said that!!

sarcasm.gif

Here's a new pic of Gabriel, because I feel like it wub.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/1Subalbum/IMAG0145.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/1Subalbum/Imag0145b.jpg

QUOTE (Jaye @ Apr 28 2010, 06:28 PM)

I love those pics Jayebird!

Aww Gabe wub.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 29 2010, 02:56 AM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Apr 28 2010, 06:28 PM)

I love those pics Jayebird!

Aww Gabe wub.gif

biggrin.gif

Yes, this is one of my fave parts of a park we recently discovered called Colliers Moss. smile.gif

A few more pics of it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/1Subalbum/IMAG0150.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/1Subalbum/IMAG0159.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/1Subalbum/IMAG0206.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/1Subalbum/Imag0125.jpg

And a PSPed version of one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/1Subalbum/PSP1.jpg

Yes, we have fun in that place. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Emotes/bike.gif wub.gif

We're finally getting some nicer temperatures now.

I did about 35 miles in early April when the temperature went north of 90F, but the temps and the weather have been mostly abysmal since then until recently.

Today I did a very hilly 45 mile ride with the temps in the high 80s-low 90s. I felt like hell at the end of it, but overall I'm getting my legs back faster this season than in previous seasons.

One of the guys I sometimes ride with has already bagged 3 centuries this year. I'm probably 2-4 weeks out from being ready to do my first one.

I'm hoping to do a few centuries a month during the nicer months once I'm up to that level. I may look at taking one vacation day a week from mid-June through mid-August to give myself more time, as 6-7 hours in the saddle puts a pretty big dent in the average weekend.

In other biking news, I finally found a saddle that doesn't turn my crotch to hamburger. biggrin.gif

I managed to dodge work tomorrow (I've been standing around watching the clock too much lately waiting for orders to come in), so I'm planning on doing around 60 miles tomorrow (Salem NH to Hampton Beach and back to Salem). The temperature will be a bit cool for my taste (48F at 9am, heading up to a high of 62F after noontime), but heading towards the beach always charges me up. I'm not looking forward to the crosswinds and the uphills on the way back, though.

If we get slammed with a bunch of orders later in the week (it always seems to be feast or famine), I'm hoping to make up the day off with some 10-11 hour days so that I don't have to burn a vacation day on it.

I did a 22 mile ride tonight with the local cycling club (55F down to 50F) but it didn't feel too cold, as there hasn't been enough hot weather for me to acclimate to the summer yet. Once that happens, anything below 70F will feel cold to me.

QUOTE (AgentScotty @ May 10 2010, 08:21 PM)
I managed to dodge work tomorrow (I've been standing around watching the clock too much lately waiting for orders to come in), so I'm planning on doing around 60 miles tomorrow (Salem NH to Hampton Beach and back to Salem). The temperature will be a bit cool for my taste (48F at 9am, heading up to a high of 62F after noontime), but heading towards the beach always charges me up. I'm not looking forward to the crosswinds and the uphills on the way back, though.

If we get slammed with a bunch of orders later in the week (it always seems to be feast or famine), I'm hoping to make up the day off with some 10-11 hour days so that I don't have to burn a vacation day on it.

I did a 22 mile ride tonight with the local cycling club (55F down to 50F) but it didn't feel too cold, as there hasn't been enough hot weather for me to acclimate to the summer yet. Once that happens, anything below 70F will feel cold to me.

have fun!

I went on a great ride last friday. hopefully things will dry out enough for me to hit the trails again tomorrow.