Graphic Novels, Anyone Else Enjoy Them?

Jack Aubrey

I just finished two very excellent ones, Batman & The Joker: Deadly Duo & Batman: Killing Time.

Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier is my favorite, right above The Dark Knight Returns. I also have Wolverine Vs. Predator pre-ordered on Amazon. It will be released in April.

Please recommend your favorites in this thread! I'm always on the lookout for a good one.

• Like 1

I read all of The Walking Dead, if that counts.  I know they were monthly, but when I started, I bought the first Compendium, and that was a thick-ass book.  Then I bought them in the smaller books up until I was able to buy the current issues.

I think it is up to three or four Compendiums now.

Graphic novels used to (and maybe still do) get a bad rap because they rely on pictures for a lot of the story telling.  "Oh, you can't read a book unless it has a lot of pictures?"  One of the things I really learned during my time as a teacher is that for most of human history, there was no written word.  And even after writing existed, most people didn't know how to read, or weren't even allowed to learn how to read.    But everyone sees images.  Pictures and drawings convey many, many words.  Graphic novels and comic books show you the action and the setting while you read the dialogue.

• Like 1

I’m not a huge fan, but my kids really enjoy them.  The Action Bible, To Kill a Mockingbird, God’s Dog, The Iliad, and The Odyssey are favorites around the Lutz household.  

• Like 3

I really enjoy graphic novels, have been loving them since my teens. In the 1990s I read the Corto Maltese adventures by Hugo Pratt, various works by Robert Crumb, Ghost World by Daniel Clowes, and such. I like stories that are touching, funny, bizarre, cranky, melancholic...

Here's a couple I've read within the past few years - I don't know about the recommendations, though :) 

- Blankets by Craig Thompson. (A beautiful story about growing out of teens.)

- Melody : A Story of a Nude Dancer by Sylvie Rancourt. (A witty and sympathetic Canadian autobiographical account from the 1980's with naivistic graphics.)

- Megg, Mogg, & Owl by Simon Hanselmann. (What can I say..? Be prepared for.. anything. I've found myself laughing my lungs out on some very suspicious turns of events :rofl1::facepalm::shakehead::rofl2:.)

- Today Is the Last Day of the Rest of Your Life by Ulli Lust. (Hitch-hiking and lessons learned.)

- Shit Is Real by Aisha Franz. (In all it's avant-gardism, this is a perfect description of a broken heart.)

- Spinning by Tillie Walden. (How can Walden catch loneliness and abandonment with just a few colours?)

- The Twilight Man : Rod Serling and the Birth of Television by Koren Shadmi. (A bit boring, but I wasn't familiar with the Serling story itself.)

- In Waves by A. J. Dungo. (Fine graphics, and a big plus for the surfing history subplot, but this sad, sad story was too long.)

One of my favourite graphic novels of all times is Kosmista kauhua ("Cosmic Horror") by Aapo Rapi and Peppe Koivunen. It is a story about a vampire and his friend whose relaxed way of life is suddenly interrupted as a bureaucrate knocks on the castle door. What follows is an encountering with modern horrors with both bureaucracy and prejudice by "the normal". This sounds like a really sad story but is written with a warm and empathetic touch and illustrated with bold colours. The album has been translated from Finnish to French.

Edited by Sun & Moon
  • Like 3

I don't read many graphic novels but I recently read Star Wars: Kanan Ominbus.  Been re-watching the Clone Wars animated series and Rebels so this gave some good background story on Kanan.  Wasn't linear storyline but enjoyed it.

• Like 3

On 1/27/2024 at 10:42 AM, NoahLutz said:

I’m not a huge fan, but my kids really enjoy them.  The Action Bible, To Kill a Mockingbird, God’s Dog, The Iliad, and The Odyssey are favorites around the Lutz household.  

I used to love buying illustrated classics at elementary school book fairs.

Edited by Jack Aubrey
  • Like 2