David Soul - Starsky and Hutch, Salem's Lot, Magnum Force, Star Trek - dies age 80

treeduck

16 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

Salem's Lot scene in the vampire's lair, very reminiscent of the original Nosferatu stuff. Very scary.   :rose:

One of the best made for TV movies ever. I saw it when it premiered, and when that scene came on I was of course glued to the TV. Just after David Soul opened the coffin, the movie was interrupted by the network for some bullshit special report and I missed the whole scene. They couldn't have timed that any worse -- it was like they waited to cut in at that exact moment just to troll everybody. I didn't get to see that scene until years later as YouTube or Netflix hadn't been invented yet.

I was a huge fan of Starsky and Hutch too. RIP David.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

One of the best made for TV movies ever. I saw it when it premiered, and when that scene came on I was of course glued to the TV. Just after David Soul opened the coffin, the movie was interrupted by the network for some bullshit special report and I missed the whole scene. They couldn't have timed that any worse -- it was like they waited to cut in at that exact moment just to troll everybody. I didn't get to see that scene until years later as YouTube or Netflix hadn't been invented yet.

That kid vampire in the window was also nasty. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 3:45 PM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I watched it in 1980 when it was first broadcast on UK TV. At the time I hadn't heard of Stephen King, I didn't even know what the story was about, which made it even better. It's probably the best vampire film of all time, definitely the best TV movie.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

That kid vampire in the window was also nasty. 

The first appearance of Barlow in the jail is the scariest scene. That scared the crap out of me and it still does!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Turbine Freight said:

All in all it was a great adaptation of the book.

Yeah they managed to get all the important stuff in over the 3 hours and the atmosphere and tone was just right. It's a great cast too with lots of quality veterans and solid character actors.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Yeah they managed to get all the important stuff in over the 3 hours and the atmosphere and tone was just right. It's a great cast too with lots of quality veterans and solid character actors.

James Mason was fabulous.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Turbine Freight said:

James Mason was fabulous.

Yeah a great turn from Mason, he made Straker sinister and frightening. I like he used certain little things to enhance the believability of the character, like when Parkins Gillespie is questioning him about the missing boys he takes a quick guilty look at the knife in his hand as he lies about not seeing them.

• Like 1