Tom Smothers (1937-2023)

Principled Man

Greatest fake performance ever!  

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

Tommy was definitely the funnier of the 2 brothers. RIP.

Dick was apparently content to be the straight man in their gigs.  It's a thankless job....  

• Like 2

Tom Smothers had a run-in with Bill Cosby at a Playboy Mansion party in 1976, and it led to Cosby sucker-punching him in the head. Smothers had apparently been calling out Cosby for not actively supporting civil rights causes and for not actively opposing the Vietnam war.

I should never have turned my back on him. He didn't have the balls to do it when I was looking. He slipped behind Hefner and sucker-punched me. He hit me right in the head with his fist, knocked me down, and I was down there a minute or two and he was standing over me screaming at me, '"C'mon, I'll kick your ass" - stuff like that. I've never seen him since then. I always thought, maybe if he turns around sometime I might give him a shot.

https://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2006/11/the_case_of_bil.html

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Tom Smothers had a run-in with Bill Cosby at a Playboy Mansion party in 1976, and it led to Cosby sucker-punching him in the head. Smothers had apparently been calling out Cosby for not actively supporting civil rights causes and for not actively opposing the Vietnam war.

I should never have turned my back on him. He didn't have the balls to do it when I was looking. He slipped behind Hefner and sucker-punched me. He hit me right in the head with his fist, knocked me down, and I was down there a minute or two and he was standing over me screaming at me, '"C'mon, I'll kick your ass" - stuff like that. I've never seen him since then. I always thought, maybe if he turns around sometime I might give him a shot.

https://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2006/11/the_case_of_bil.html

Not surprised, Cosby continues to be a big disappointment, what a jerk.

On 12/27/2023 at 2:23 PM, Principled Man said:

Dick was apparently content to be the straight man in their gigs.  It's a thankless job....  

The contrast with Dick made Tom even funnier,  I loved the mischievous little boy looks he would get on his face as he prepared to launch a zinger.  RIP :rose:

I would highly recommend this documentary to anyone even vaguely interested in the Smothers Brothers.  I had always heard that their 60s TV show was on the radical side...but I never really knew anything about it.  These guys, particularly Tommy, were really cutting edge!  All that stuff that Letterman was doing in the 80s with criticizing GE while on NBC...the Smothers' were going WAY harder on that kind of "bite the hand" stuff.  This was really eye opening.  And f**king funny.