RIP Brooks Robinson, 86, HOF 3B known for his defense.

laughedatbytime

RIP to a fielding legend, instrumental to the Orioles 1970 championship by robbing various Reds of doubles with diving stops.:rose:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38498947/hall-fame-3b-orioles-legend-brooks-robinson-dies-86

• Like 3

1970: I was 9 years old and a foaming-at-the-mouth Reds fan. I hated Brooks Robinson for years! YEARS, I tell you!  :rage:

I got over it.  :biggrin:

He was an extraordinary talent at 3rd base.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

One of my first baseball memories was watching Graig Nettles play third base for the Yankees, and watching him steal hit after hit from opposing batters, especially during the '78 World Series against the Dodgers. Every time he made an amazing play the camera would cut to Tommy LaSorda in the dugout, spitting and kicking and cursing. Nettles may have won that Series for the Yanks with his glove, and he was my first baseball hero.

I asked my dad if Nettles was the best third baseman he'd ever seen, and he said almost, Brooks Robinson was better.

• Like 2

Just now, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

One of my first baseball memories watching Graig Nettles play third base for the Yankees, and watching him steal hit after hit from opposing batters, especially during the '78 World Series against the Dodgers. Every time he made an amazing play the camera would cut to Tommy LaSorda in the dugout, spitting and kicking and cursing. Nettles may have won that Series for the Yanks with his glove, and he was my first baseball hero.

I asked my dad if Nettles was the best third baseman he'd ever seen, and he said almost, Brooks Robinson was better.

Josh Donaldson is doing well for the Brewers right now.  They took a chance and signed him. 

The other night, he made a textbook Brooks Robinson play, going hard to his right to snag the ball and then throwing the runner out in one turn. 

Sure enough, the announcers immediately cited Robinson......LOL   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

One of my first baseball memories was watching Graig Nettles play third base for the Yankees, and watching him steal hit after hit from opposing batters, especially during the '78 World Series against the Dodgers. Every time he made an amazing play the camera would cut to Tommy LaSorda in the dugout, spitting and kicking and cursing. Nettles may have won that Series for the Yanks with his glove, and he was my first baseball hero.

I remember Nettles' performance in that WS better than Robinson and I couldn't have imagined one better than that.  But it sounds like Robinson was his equal.

• Like 2

I remember seeing his 1977 baseball card, which was the first year I started collecting. In those days before ESPN, cable and the Internet, where you didn’t really get to learn too much about other players, except by reading the backs of their cards. He holds the record for most seasons with one team in MLB history. The Orioles were only in their second year in Baltimore when he was a rookie, having been in St. Louis as the Browns for the previous 50 years.

I’m still partial to Nettles though, for the obvious reasons. I also got a Graig Nettles bat during my first trip to Yankee Stadium in 1976. 

• Like 1