Buying Compact Discs in 2023 (and into the future)

stoopid

On 6/20/2023 at 5:01 PM, stoopid said:

As I've posted a few times on this forum, I don't trust the music industry to not hold my music hostage if given the chance.  The fact so many are reliant on streaming services as their source for music is right where I think the recording industry wants us.  Took them a while to come around, but they're clearly in control of who gets to hear music nowadays, and how much $$ it will be. 

I suspect this also applies to movies.

• Like 3

On 6/20/2023 at 6:01 PM, stoopid said:

Similar here, I listen to surround music when I can (which isn't very often) and have been a fan of the higher resolution/surround format for a couple decades.  The CDs I own are mostly my favorites and haven't leaked from my media wall unit yet so I'm not out of room yet.  I treat these physical copies as archival.

As I've posted a few times on this forum, I don't trust the music industry to not hold my music hostage if given the chance.  The fact so many are reliant on streaming services as their source for music is right where I think the recording industry wants us.  Took them a while to come around, but they're clearly in control of who gets to hear music nowadays, and how much $$ it will be.  Most of the music I care about I'll be listening to for the remainder of my lifetime, so having a copy that isn't likely to vanish to no fault of my own other than someone else's bean counting driven greed is important enough to me to pay a small premium.

That's one reason I buy CD's. Other is a lot of the music I like isn't online anyway. That said I'll listen to you tube for stuff I already have for convenience or if there's something new I  might want to check out but that's just in the background and not very meaningful to me.  I tend to buy direct from the artist for the newer releases and I try to make semi-regular trips to the record store for used CDs and see what finds me. Of course, I've been dealing with space issues for most of the year now and I think about culling the library on a regular basis.

• Like 2

Ended up going to Zia's, a local(?) music store chain that had all three albums I wanted on sale.  First time going there, it's a bit of a mishmash of music, movies/TV, and gaming among other things.   Didn't end up buying anything else, although they had Monty Python TV show DVDs for $2 each which were as close as I got to succumbing to any impulse buying.  Figure it's all on youtube and I don't need to own it.  I know all the skits anyway.  lol

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 8:52 PM, stoopid said:

Ended up going to Zia's, a local(?) music store chain that had all three albums I wanted on sale.  First time going there, it's a bit of a mishmash of music, movies/TV, and gaming among other things.   Didn't end up buying anything else, although they had Monty Python TV show DVDs for $2 each which were as close as I got to succumbing to any impulse buying.  Figure it's all on youtube and I don't need to own it.  I know all the skits anyway.  lol

I'll usually spend a while at those places going through A to Z on CD to see what finds me and if it's a lot I'll try to cut it down before I get to the register.

• Like 3

On 6/20/2023 at 2:26 PM, grep said:

The thing is - I'm mostly digital now.  In the sense that I have an .mp3 collection.  I don't like subscribing to streaming as my main source of music.

I also like that CD's are tangible. You can see them. I also like still having a (now reduced) collection of them on display.  Alongside some vintage vinyl.

You can't see digital stuff.

I'm with you, prefer to have it in my hands.  Look back fondly on the days I would get a new album and sit down by the turntable and read the liner notes etc while listening to it for the first time.  MP3's are great for portability but as others said, not the greatest sound quality.  I too heard that CD's are becoming cool again (i.e. like in the book revenge of analog even though they are digital) but guess we will see.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

On 6/30/2023 at 5:06 PM, ytserush said:

I'll usually spend a while at those places going through A to Z on CD to see what finds me and if it's a lot I'll try to cut it down before I get to the register.

The local 'record store' used to be a frequent stop in my youth, but moved away from it once online shopping was an option.  Only thing I miss are the occasional bootlegs they would have, mixed in with the other discs.  Knowing now what I didn't know then, much of it was "wink wink" kind of stuff that I'm sure the artists/record labels didn't want existing.  I remember even trying to sell one on eBay and the AI blocked the listing as a bootleg.  Other than that, no real reason for me to go to these places.  That was the first record store I had visited in probably a decade+.

• Like 3

On 7/4/2023 at 3:57 PM, stoopid said:

The local 'record store' used to be a frequent stop in my youth, but moved away from it once online shopping was an option.  Only thing I miss are the occasional bootlegs they would have, mixed in with the other discs.  Knowing now what I didn't know then, much of it was "wink wink" kind of stuff that I'm sure the artists/record labels didn't want existing.  I remember even trying to sell one on eBay and the AI blocked the listing as a bootleg.  Other than that, no real reason for me to go to these places.  That was the first record store I had visited in probably a decade+.

I'm about up to about an hour away now from my two closest "local" record stores so I never get there as much as I'd like. I spend hours and hours there when I do eventually make it there because I unfamiliar with the inventory now. Probably due for a trip soon.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2023 at 3:57 PM, stoopid said:

Dimeadozen is your friend.