Help putting a value on a giant Signals poster?

Meinfronds

Hi everyone!  Hope all is going well!

I have a GIANT - 3’4” x 5’ (40” x 60”) poster they was in a record store back when Signals came out.  I got it second hand from the guy that worked there and ended up getting it. 

Since it’s so old, it’s definitely not in mint condition, but not terrible. I think this link will take you to a picture of it:
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ffi2VfJfa-DU-AYZQ_c-_wBQ

Does anyone have any info on its history or what it might be worth?  I’m thinking of putting it up for sale to help cover some medical bills. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Other than the background the guy I bought it from told me, I really don’t know.  I’m hoping it was a real thing, but with my luck….

Not sure if that's legit or not, but it looks cool! I have an old newspaper ad for Permanent Waves hanging in my room. It was expertly cut out of an issue from Melody Maker magazine and then I bought it on Ebay.

• Like 1

This looks cool.

You could donate it to a worthy charity like 'The Zepphead Benevolent Fund'. All donations gratefully accepted!! :laugh:

• Haha 1

I think it has a nice look to it.  As for it being a promotional material from the time.... I don't think so.  All the stuff I remember seeing in stores back then were based on the album art and the color palate.  That's the key thing that makes me say 'no' to this one. 

There was nothing I can recall with that ('half tone'?) underground look.

Everything in store - from my awareness - MP/ESL right to the end with CA was always full color slick and glossy.

Edited by grep

On 5/9/2023 at 5:24 PM, Meinfronds said:

Hi everyone!  Hope all is going well!

I have a GIANT - 3’4” x 5’ (40” x 60”) poster they was in a record store back when Signals came out.  I got it second hand from the guy that worked there and ended up getting it. 

Since it’s so old, it’s definitely not in mint condition, but not terrible. I think this link will take you to a picture of it:
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ffi2VfJfa-DU-AYZQ_c-_wBQ

Does anyone have any info on its history or what it might be worth?  I’m thinking of putting it up for sale to help cover some medical bills. 

Thanks!

I've seen a few of these before in my travels. I don't remember seeing any record company markings on it which leads me to believe it was a custom creation. Also the font used doesn't match what was used at the time. I'm sure it will interest someone at the right price as some collectors don't care if something is official or not. Considering those factors maybe $20 to $30? That's just a guess.

I had a huge promo poster of the cover that I got from Utopia records metal shop in Sydney in the 90s.(sorry I can’t view the OP pic for some reason but I believe this is the same one)Had it for years and it saw many different houses and flats.Finally had to be retired.