Once and For All: Which album and band is better?

treeduck

Which album and band are better?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which band is better?

• David Lee Roth Eat 'Em and Smile band from 1986
    • Van Halen 5150 band also from 1986
  2. 2. Which album is better?

3 hours ago, treeduck said:

Just a note, remember when you're voting for the best band in this poll you're only voting for the 1986 version of either band, not the 1981 Fair Warning VH and not the 1999 DLR band for example.

And definitely not 1974 Mammoth!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, treeduck said:

Just a note, remember when you're voting for the best band in this poll you're only voting for the 1986 version of either band, not the 1981 Fair Warning VH and not the 1999 DLR band for example.

DLR Band of 1999 > Van Hagar :smile:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, treeduck said:

I'll bear that in mind!!! :laugh:

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2023 at 11:01 PM, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Some Excellent Albums in that list ZH ! 
👍😎

I was into most of those LPs back in ‘86

and remember that back then I also 

played constantly , along with the two albums in this poll,  these then new albums 

Toto - Fahrenheit 

Journey - Raised on Radio

Europe - The Final Countdown

Saxon - Rock the Nations

It Bites - The Big Lad in the Windmill

Yngwie Malmsteen - Trilogy

… And I was still playing a lot a certain album which was released the previous year 

:rush:   - Power Windows 🙂

It's not often that It Bites gets a name check ...... nice choice!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

DLR Band of 1999 > Van Hagar :smile:

🤔Surely you must prefer Van Hagar

over Van Cherone !? 🤔🙃🤞

39 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

🤔Surely you must prefer Van Hagar

over Van Cherone !? 🤔🙃🤞

It's a fair question, to which my answer is not as blindingly obvious as most. I think Neworld and Without You is an excellent opening 8 minutes to VH3. Better than "Hello baaaaaybee". I don't listen to Hagar or Cherone these days; I listened to Van Hagar a lot when I was  a teen and knew no better. I would listen to '86-'95 music only if it was available, as its Eddie's work I want to hear.

23 hours ago, IbanezJem said:

Big Trouble and Ladies Nite in Buffalo, Yankee Rose and Shyboy deliver what I want from music. Love Walks In, Dreams and Inside do not. Eddie will always be my No 1 but Sammy took away a lot more than he added, whereas Vai and Sheehan were monsters with Dave. 

I love that DLR album, but I will say that Vai, for all his obvious talent, is a negative IMO.  Like his twin (in my mind) Malmsteen, he is absolutely bloodless, which makes his performance in Crossroads an example of pitch-perfect casting.  I probably like EEaS more than 5150, but not by a lot.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I love that DLR album, but I will say that Vai, for all his obvious talent, is a negative IMO.  Like his twin (in my mind) Malmsteen, he is absolutely bloodless, which makes his performance in Crossroads an example of pitch-perfect casting.  I probably like EEaS more than 5150, but not by a lot.  

Around the late 80s, I thought Yngwie was a buffoon but Vai hit the spot... his technical wizardry worked for my teenage ears. Eddie and Satch always were my favourites for skill + soul. There's very little aggression on 5150, whereas Dave was fighting with something to prove to the VH's on EEaS.

• Like 1