Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

2 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Additional point that was staring me in the face - the art work is excellent.  Not just the album cover but also the record jackets.  The art work for an album and the physical sensation is a big part of why I prefer vinyl, or, as a back up, CD's.  Its part of why I rejected CD's for a long, long time and will still get an album on vinyl if I can.  The record industries change from vinyl to CD coincided with my (mostly) stopping my music purchases.  Yes = the quality of music dropped off a cliff about the same time but I enjoyed the physical sensation of looking through bins of records and enjoying the artwork.  Got many a good album just due to kick-but artwork.  Albums I would likely not have found otherwise.

This is a very, very good album in every way I can think of.

Have you noticed the last guitar solo on Sons of Thunder has got a kind of Spanish flamenco kind of run near the end?

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, treeduck said:

Have you noticed the last guitar solo on Sons of Thunder has got a kind of Spanish flamenco kind of run near the end?

I did not notice that (shame on me!!).  Now I will just have to go listen to it again - o what a terrible fate (LOL).

Actually I just got done listening to the album a 2nd time and Sons of Thunder is emerging (along with Gates of Hell, Crown of Horns, Escape From Reality, Giants In the Sky & Trial by Fire) as one of favorites from the album.  Thats a lot of favorites but this is a heck of an album.

Also listened to:

Dio - Killing the Dragon

Good album.  No Holy Diver or Last in Line but its decent.  Glad I found a vinyl copy.  As I said, its my preference and it helps me enjoy the artwork.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

I did not notice that (shame on me!!).  Now I will just have to go listen to it again - o what a terrible fate (LOL).

Actually I just got done listening to the album a 2nd time and Sons of Thunder is emerging (along with Gates of Hell, Crown of Horns, Escape From Reality, Giants In the Sky & Trial by Fire) as one of favorites from the album.  Thats a lot of favorites but this is a heck of an album.

Also listened to:

Dio - Killing the Dragon

Good album.  No Holy Diver or Last in Line but its decent.  Glad I found a vinyl copy.  As I said, its my preference and it helps me enjoy the artwork.  

Every song is a favourite for me, if this was a 100 metre race, it would be a 14 song blanket finish! So the song in last place would be right up alongside the song in first place.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Also listened to:

Dio - Killing the Dragon

One unexpected song that keeps blowing me away is Fight of Your Life which is excellent. Other songs that particularly stood out to me today were Gates of Hell, Invincible Shield, Devil In Disguise and Serpent and the King.

• Like 1

Judas Priest- Invincible Shield

Well this album is not wearing me down one bit! I am playing it on Spotify (waiting for payday for CD purchases), and I love it right through to bonus tracks.

Still hesitant to declare it "best album since Screaming For Vengeance", but why not?

I think it is!

• Like 5

Nine Inch Nails- The Downward Spiral

A bit of an obsession of mine at the moment. 

• Like 1

Sonata Arctica- Clear Cold Beyond

I had no expectations for this album. So much so, I forgot it was coming out last week. 

This isn't a new classic, but it's a soft reminder of what made me love them so much. I doubt it will win them new fans, but it might win over disillusioned older fans.

It's giving me Reckoning Night meets The Ninth Hour vibes. Two albums I love, I'm not mad at this.

Released this day in 1970.

Favorite song off this album, but it's all good.

• Like 2

Worked from home for part of the day so that gave me a chance to open up my moving box's again and whatever came out got listened to.  First out:

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny

Good songs, esp. Victim of Changes and Ripper but the production stinks.  Thats a major drawback to the album.  Next out of the box:

Styx - Paradise Theatre

Several quite enjoyable songs (Rockin The Paradise, Too Much Time On My Hands, The Best Of Times & Snowblind).  Good artwork for the album as well.  Enjoyable overall.  Next out of the box:

The Firm - The Firm

This has 2 songs I recall getting airplay (Radioactive & Satisfaction Guaranteed - of the 2 I prefer Satisfaction Guarenteed).  Enjoyed them back when the album came out and still do.  Also the last song on the album "Midnight Moonlight" was a pleasurable surprise.  I did not recall it at all but I enjoyed it.  The rest of the album, despite the vocals of Paul Rodgers and Jimmy Pages guitar work, does not do much for me.  Last out of the box today:

Reo Speedwagon - Wheels are Turnin'

This has the excellent "Can't Fight This Feeling" plus the almost as excellent "Live Every Moment".  Its also got the very good (but not as good the 2 previously mentioned songs) "I Dowanna Know" & "One Lonely Night".  In addition, it has the song "Rock 'N Roll Star".  This thing I did not recall at all and it never got airplay but it was rather enjoyable .  Plus the albums title track was also enjoyable (again, I did not recall it getting airplay and I did not recall the song).  The other songs on the album did not do a lot for me however.

My favorite album of the day?  The Reo album.  Now if only the Priest album had been properly produced.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Worked from home for part of the day so that gave me a chance to open up my moving box's again and whatever came out got listened to.  First out:

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny

Good songs, esp. Victim of Changes and Ripper but the production stinks.  Thats a major drawback to the album.  Next out of the box:

Styx - Paradise Theatre

Several quite enjoyable songs (Rockin The Paradise, Too Much Time On My Hands, The Best Of Times & Snowblind).  Good artwork for the album as well.  Enjoyable overall.  Next out of the box:

The Firm - The Firm

This has 2 songs I recall getting airplay (Radioactive & Satisfaction Guaranteed - of the 2 I prefer Satisfaction Guarenteed).  Enjoyed them back when the album came out and still do.  Also the last song on the album "Midnight Moonlight" was a pleasurable surprise.  I did not recall it at all but I enjoyed it.  The rest of the album, despite the vocals of Paul Rodgers and Jimmy Pages guitar work, does not do much for me.  Last out of the box today:

Reo Speedwagon - Wheels are Turnin'

This has the excellent "Can't Fight This Feeling" plus the almost as excellent "Live Every Moment".  Its also got the very good (but not as good the 2 previously mentioned songs) "I Dowanna Know" & "One Lonely Night".  In addition, it has the song "Rock 'N Roll Star".  This thing I did not recall at all and it never got airplay but it was rather enjoyable .  Plus the albums title track was also enjoyable (again, I did not recall it getting airplay and I did not recall the song).  The other songs on the album did not do a lot for me however.

My favorite album of the day?  The Reo album.  Now if only the Priest album had been properly produced.....

Sad Wings is a marvellous album, and I'm so glad it exists and changed the metal landscape as it has. It's just oddly I prefer the next few albums more. 

• Like 1

Judas Priest-Invincible Shield (8/10)

Gave my in depth review in the IS thread.  I am blown away by the quality these guys are pumping out.

I've read reviews both good and bad about this album.  to me it's tremendous for a legacy band.

now i prefer Firepower but this is no slouch.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Judas Priest-Invincible Shield (8/10)

Gave my in depth review in the IS thread.  I am blown away by the quality these guys are pumping out.

I've read reviews both good and bad about this album.  to me it's tremendous for a legacy band.

now i prefer Firepower but this is no slouch.

Mick

This.

I think I will go back and forth on which I prefer, they are very distinct albums that each call to different aspects of their past (without sounding redundant). At the moment I'm all about this album, I just adore it. I can think of reasons why, ultimately, I might still prefer FP. But ask me on the day lol.

This sounds as energetic and youthful as early Trivium. Their is a fire here that SCREAMS new kids on the block, I can't really explain it but yeah. If I was new to the band, and you said this was a classic debut album, I'd believe you. It has a vitality that goes beyond their advanced skills.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

This.

I think I will go back and forth on which I prefer, they are very distinct albums that each call to different aspects of their past (without sounding redundant). At the moment I'm all about this album, I just adore it. I can think of reasons why, ultimately, I might still prefer FP. But ask me on the day lol.

This sounds as energetic and youthful as early Trivium. Their is a fire here that SCREAMS new kids on the block, I can't really explain it but yeah. If I was new to the band, and you said this was a classic debut album, I'd believe you. It has a vitality that goes beyond their adva bed skills.

Iprefer the last 2 JP albums to the last 2 iron maidan albums.

These last 2 JP albums are GREAT!!!!!  They just rock so hard.  as i said i think Firepower just a tad better all the way through.  IS has a few low spots for me BUT i love this record.  Similar BUT they are seperate vibes.

Miick

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

Iprefer the last 2 JP albums to the last 2 iron maidan albums.

These last 2 JP albums are GREAT!!!!!  They just rock so hard.  as i said i think Firepower just a tad better all the way through.  IS has a few low spots for me BUT i love this record.  Similar BUT they are seperate vibes.

Miick

I hate to say it but I find myself increasingly ignorant of post No Prayer Maiden. I find they need to edit down way more, great songs they have on the albjms from 2000 onwards, a shocking number outstay their welcome.

As for Priest, the two latest are honestly in my top ten, and that speaks volumes for a band who have a ridiculous number of classics across fifty years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

I hate to say it but I find myself increasingly ignorant of post No Prayer Maiden. I find they need to edit down way more, great songs they have on the albjms from 2000 onwards, a shocking number outstay their welcome.

As for Priest, the two latest are honestly in my top ten, and that speaks volumes for a band who have a ridiculous number of classics across fifty years.

those post maiden albums are great but.........ALL songs go as follow.

Step 1: Wind sound effect, soft intro.

Step 2: first verse
Step 3: hook

Step 4: Verse 2
Steep 5: Repeat hook

Step 6: Guitar solo plus general band jam interlude

Step 7: Guitar solo 2

Step 8. Repeat hook 2-3 times more

step 9: Soft outro.....wind sound.

Mostly EVERY SONG!!!!!!!

Mick

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

those post maiden albums are great but.........ALL songs go as follow.

Step 1: Wind sound effect, soft intro.

Step 2: first verse
Step 3: hook

Step 4: Verse 2
Steep 5: Repeat hook

Step 6: Guitar solo plus general band jam interlude

Step 7: Guitar solo 2

Step 8. Repeat hook 2-3 times more

step 9: Soft outro.....wind sound.

Mostly EVERY SONG!!!!!!!

Mick

Yup. They have few songs over four minutes that deserve to be.

I still love them. And 2000 onwards has yet to dip for me like Nostradamus or Redeemer. Its just FP and IS are that good I'd take them over modern Maiden, even the great stuff

• Like 1