Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

14 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I wouldn't consider 90s Goo Goo Dolls soccer mom music. The boring, bland, uninspired pop band they've become over the last 20 years I definitely do though.

I don't either, I just know they have a poor reputation these days and are sidelined as such. I don't hate the last twenties years of their discography, but it definitely is all you say it is.

The best albums are bloody wonderful though 👌 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 3:35 PM, custom55 said:

I'm making guacamole this morning so

53491147505_f8fed6e280_z.jpg

I adore this album

Thin Lizzy - Thunder & Lightning ‘83

(10/10)

great - as it turned out - Final Lizzy album

( 🤔 mostly thanks to John Sykes & 

Darren Wharton injecting some youthfully enthusiasm & ‘ positive aggression ‘ ) 

• Like 3

Paradise Lost- Icon 30

Pre-Draconian Times era Paradise Lost was fantastic, but the records all lacked a little polish (which personally complemented their style). So I was a bit taken aback last year when Paradise Lost said they were going to re-record their breakthrough album.

And it's terrific! It's actually shocking but the band, on all fronts, sound little removed from where they were at 30 years ago. (Truth be told, they always sounded like miserable old bustards lol).

I'm not sure exactly what you do with this new version. It feels less a remake a more a remix (think Pearl Jam's Ten Redux).

Its glorious, it has great energy, and oddly sounds more youthful than the original. Its a bloody great album, but then again, it always was.

Paradise Lost- Shades Of God

Of their first four albums, this is both maybe my favourite and their wonkiest. Still, it's a great album, one that is still highly revered now.

Savatage-Gutter Ballet (10/10)

i'm convinced this band listened to a bit of Jim Steinman.  a song such as When the Crowds are Gone is page A1 of his songwriting playbook.

Mick

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Savatage-Gutter Ballet (10/10)

i'm convinced this band listened to a bit of Jim Steinman.  a song such as When the Crowds are Gone is page A1 of his songwriting playbook.

Mick

It was thr 1980s. Everyone listened to Jim Steinman. Its not a stretch to consider that a possibility 🤣

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

It was thr 1980s. Everyone listened to Jim Steinman. Its not a stretch to consider that a possibility 🤣

I think Savatage listened a lot to pomp rock, including Meat Loaf. The pomposity and the sometimes theatrical stylings reminds me of a vamped up Styx or Kansas.

Savatage should be so much more well known. I am forever grateful this forum lead me to them! 

Edited by Segue Myles

21 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I think Savatage listened a lot to pomp rock, including Meat Loaf. The pomposity and the sometimes theatrical stylings reminds me of a vamped up Styx or Kansas.

Savatage should be so much more well known. I am forever grateful this forum lead me to them! 

it' like a meat loaf/styx kinda ratt-y band with Brian Johnson of AC/DC on vocals (the original singer reminds me of him)

Mick

Paradise Lost- Gothic 

Exquisite. 

Paradise Lost- One Second

I know this was a left turn for many fans, and a step in the wrong direction, but I love how Paradise Lost made their own way by ripping out the rule book. Terrific hooks, and it's a truly melancholic classic that still hits hard.