Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

6 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Give us a like, then.  :wub:

Haha sorry thought I had!

Have you heard anything else from Mekong Delta? Principle Of Doubt and Kaleidoscope are my other two faves

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Haha sorry thought I had!

Have you heard anything else from Mekong Delta? Principle Of Doubt and Kaleidoscope are my other two faves

I owned everything up to Kaleidoscope. Loved the progressiveness. 

The Warning - Error, 2022 (8/10)

- good album… 🤔 but I prefer them live to on record so to speak…. which is a compliment ! 😎

• Like 3

Went snowboarding yesterday with my buddies from high school.   On the chairlift we were talking about concerts and my one buddy said he saw The James Gang back in 1971 at a local skating rink.  

On the two hour ride home we played James Gang Live in Concert.

Killer album but this song, incredible.

Edited by custom55

Worked at some again so it was back to the moving box's.  First out:

Amazing Grace - The Pipes, Drums and Military Band of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards

Besides Amazing Grace the record has a number of other traditional marches, slow air, reveille, quick march's, slow marches & jigs.  Plus the Imperial Russian Anthem.  Lots of bagpipes.     Quite the change from the metal of yesterday?  Good though.  I like it.  But things were about to get weirder.  Next out of the box:

Elizabethan Verse and its Music  - W.H. Auden & the NY Pro Music Antiqua  

The poetry I could do without, but the Elizabethan music I enjoy.  Next out of the box:

Foreigner - Inside Information

This album came out in 1987 and at the time I was living in Rochester NY.  The lead singer of Foreigner (Lou Gramm) is from Rochester so, since the home town boy had made it big, the album (and band) would get a lot of support there.  I recall 2 songs ("Say You Will" & "Heart Turns to Stone") getting a lot of airplay from the local radio stations.  Say You Will is standard single material and does nothing for me.  Heart Turns To Stone is good though.  The rest of the album does nothing for me however.  Next out of the box:

Blondie - The Best of Blondie

I got this in the early 1980's before I discovered hard rock, metal and prog rock.  At the time I enjoyed it.  But its not aged well for me.  A few ok songs ("Call Me", "Heart of Glass" & "Dreaming") but most don't really thrill me.  Last out of the box for the day:

Air Supply - Lost in Love

Ok, get ready to barf.  I actually still like this album.  Bought it when it came out and liked it a lot then.  Not like I am going to listen to it a lot but the title track I still really enjoy and "American Hearts" is decent.  The other songs are nothing special but they are not horrible either.  But the big thing is the album fits together, one song flowing into another.  Its an album that much more than the sum pf its parts.  Not like I am going to pull it out a lot, its not my sort of music, but if I am in the right mood I still like it.  Decent.

This is what happens when you pull records out at random - sometimes you get things that all go together (like yesterday when it was mostly an Iron Maiden day with some other hard rock and metal mixed in).  Sometime, like today, you get some albums that just don't have anything really in common with each other.  Since I am working from home again tomorrow it will be interesting to see what comes out of the box.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, yyz305 said:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/60/Pearl_Jam_-_Gigaton.png

How do you find it? It's my least favourite album Pearl Jam have ever done, but I like it more now than I did upon release.

In Flames- Come Clarity

There is nothing else quite like this album, or band. In another universe, they are pop stars. Hooks for days.

Sabbat- A History Of Time To Come

UK thrash is brilliant. We do it...differently. this is a masterpiece. 

Skyclad- The Wayward Sons Of Mother Earth

Thrash metal entwined with folk music, I love Skyclad.  

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

How do you find it? It's my least favourite album Pearl Jam have ever done, but I like it more now than I did upon release.

It gets better with every listen. One of those funny things - it just isn't 'sticking' in my head like most albums, of any artists, do upon repeated listening...I do like it, though. I loved Lightning Bolt, but this is taking ages for me to get to know the tracks.

Steve Perry - Street Talk ‘84 (8/10) 

🤔 as a guitar player ( As a kid, I used to record off my old cassette deck/radio/alarm clock set up literally Just the guitar solos from records played on the radio for about 3 years before I finally got around to buying my first 🎸 ! 🙃🤣) … I don’t normally place as much emphasis on the vocalist as I guess a lot of (especially non hard rock/metal) music listeners do - for me good vocals are just the cherry on top of the icing of the cake of a great song which showcases excellent musicianship … but that said I have to say Steve is Easily in my Top 3 singers of all time :yes:

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios
more info
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

The Warning - Error, 2022 (8/10)

- good album… 🤔 but I prefer them live to on record so to speak…. which is a compliment ! 😎

A good portion of the fan base, myself included, like a lot of the live stuff better than the studio recordings. There's just a completely different energy to them live. They're releasing a new song(s) on February 2nd.

• Like 3