Foo Fighters: Albums Elimination (FINAL ROUND, PLEASE VOTE!!!)

_hi_water._

14 members have voted

1. 1. Eliminate:

• The Colour And The Shape (1997)
    • Wasting Light (2011)

Foo Fighters has been eliminated.

10. Medicine At Midnight (2021)

9. One By One (2002)

8. Concrete And Gold (2017)

7. Sonic Highways (2014)

6. In Your Honor (2005)

5. There Is Nothing Left To Lose (1999)

4. Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace (2007)

3. Foo Fighters (1995)

This is definitely the right top 2. I can totally see voting for either one of these excellent excellent records, but for me Wasting Light is the highest peak of the foos career. Dave realized he had an idea: do a record the old school way, fully analogue in his garage. So I’m order to do it, the middle aged rockers built a home studio in his (very large and expensive) garage, and they called up Dave’s old pal Butch Vig to produce, and help them make the analogue part a reality. By all accounts it was a lot more difficult than usual, many “mistakes” had to be left in because tape isn’t as easy to doctor as a ProTools session. It’s the kind of idea a lesser band might have wound up hating and letting the difficulties come between them as players and friends, but the Foos had already passed the puberty of their career (see One By One). By now they had spouses and kids and could enjoy living with their families at home while recording. I think some of them temporarily had their families stay at Dave’s place or nearby? Can’t recall exactly, but there were bbqs and pool parties and generally lots of excited children laughing and running around. A perfectly happy environment to help them mentally push through the daunting task with grace. The record that they made is flawless song for song. It has the greatest sound of any Foos album, and the most consistent songwriting and killer performances. Dave even wrote a song he would go on to say is his favorite song he ever wrote, which happens to be my favorite Foos song as well: These Days. For me, this album was my introduction to the Foo Fighters. I’d heard about them and heard maybe one or two songs, but I didn’t really know anything until I heard These Days on the radio, and it blew my mind. I was enjoying a number of newer songs on the radio at the time, but none of them were this perfectly written, this heavy, this thrilling, this cathartic, this inspiring. I had to know who it was! Then I had to hear the record. I was not disappointed.

Lots of great things can be written about The Colour And The Shape as well, from the total mood booster of Hey, Johnny Park, to the scream along fun of Enough Space, to the mythic status of Everlong and My Hero, one of which got Grohl a compliment and request for a quick lesson from Bob Dylan backstage at some award show. New Way Home is about as epic a closer as The Foos have done too. Just a fantastic record through and through.

Disappointed that Concrete and Gold sunk as far as it did here and that the debut went as high as it did, but whatever. I'm pretty agreeable with this list otherwise, though I don't think Medicine at Midnight is definitively their worst.

The two that are left + ESP&G are untouchable to me

• Like 1

TC&TS was my first album of theirs in May 1998 and played it a lot in my last two years of high school so it's a personal winner for me. First album aside, I usually got their albums when they came out. I didn't hear self titled until late 2002 when I rented it at a library and bought it in early 2004.

Results:

10. Medicine At Midnight (2021)

9. One By One (2002)

8. Concrete And Gold (2017)

7. Sonic Highways (2014)

6. In Your Honor (2005)

5. There Is Nothing Left To Lose (1999)

4. Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace (2007)

3. Foo Fighters (1995)

2. The Colour And The Shape (1997)

And the winner is...

Wasting Light (2011)

Edited by _hi_water._
  • Like 3

I'm thinking this is the newest album to win one of these polls.

According to my list of elimination winners, you are correct. Edited by _hi_water._