BAND-MAID

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

I've listened to a few of these kawaii metal bands ... Babymetal, Aldious, Band-Maid are the ones who spring to mind. I find it all a wee bit weird and creepy to be honest.
  • Like 1

I've listened to a few of these kawaii metal bands ... Babymetal, Aldious, Band-Maid are the ones who spring to mind. I find it all a wee bit weird and creepy to be honest.

I dislike heavy metal as a genre so throwing a Kawaii voice into the mix changes the thing I dislike, making them fun and not so absurdly and consciously dark. It`s the sound of male HM vocalists I dislike, not the guitars/bass/drums, so they strike a good balance for me. As do most guitar instrumentalists. Not for everyone, I get that :haz:
  • Like 2

I dislike heavy metal as a genre so throwing a Kawaii voice into the mix changes the thing I dislike, making them fun and not so absurdly and consciously dark. It`s the sound of male HM vocalists I dislike, not the guitars/bass/drums, so they strike a good balance for me. As do most guitar instrumentalists. Not for everyone, I get that :haz:

It's not the mix of J-pop voice over metal that I have a problem with ... it's the fear that i am just being an old perv, leering at a pretty Asian girl in a kinky outfit! (Unless someone can assure me that that's ok lol!)
  • Like 1

It's not the mix of J-pop voice over metal that I have a problem with ... it's the fear that i am just being an old perv, leering at a pretty Asian girl in a kinky outfit! (Unless someone can assure me that that's ok lol!)

I don`t have DVDs, just CDs! So that`s ok, right? :huh:
  • Like 1

I don`t have DVDs, just CDs! So that`s ok, right? :huh:

I guess you're off the hook lol!!
  • Like 1

I'm not a fan of Babymetal (haven't listened to other similar bands) because all I see is a manufactured Asian pop vocal group with the requisite choreographed dance moves with formula pop music behind them, just made heavier to sound metal. Musically, I have no use for it. That BAND-MAID clip is different -- if you played that for me without the video I'd never guess it was five girls in maid outfits. There's some strong compositional work there, and strong musicianship.

• Like 4

I'm not a fan of Babymetal (haven't listened to other similar bands) because all I see is a manufactured Asian pop vocal group with the requisite choreographed dance moves with formula pop music behind them, just made heavier to sound metal. Musically, I have no use for it. That BAND-MAID clip is different -- if you played that for me without the video I'd never guess it was five girls in maid outfits. There's some strong compositional work there, and strong musicianship.

Hehehe .... not like some of their other stuff ....

You don't like metal?? :eh:

• Like 1

Well, lots of musicians and bands that have achieved great things were manufactured by a manager or exec at some point and to some extent, not all of course. I`m not going to disregard something for that reason. I think they`re an interesting hybrid and music doesn`t need to be deep all the time. And I reiterate - I don`t have their DVDs, I`m not watching dance moves :tsk:

If it weren`t for the video, then I`m sure most people would think the intro was intriguing - as I did, so that`s why I took a chance on one of their records.

• Like 1

Depends what you call metal, as I think it`s absurd that Rush or VH are sometimes called Heavy Metal. They`re not to my ears. I can listen to Metallica or Megadeth but when the vocals get all growly like Anthrax or Slayer, I`m not into that.
  • Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmxEuQXTHUU

Yeah, that's a little more formula. It has that familiar four-chord pop-metal sound, but still with good musicianship. Clearly the band maids (get it?) care about their playing.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmxEuQXTHUU

Yeah, that's a little more formula. It has that familiar four-chord pop-metal sound, but still with good musicianship. Clearly the band maids (get it?) care about their playing.

Their image is based upon the Japanese maid cafe thing. So what may appear creepy to us...
  • Like 1

Depends what you call metal, as I think it`s absurd that Rush or VH are sometimes called Heavy Metal. They`re not to my ears. I can listen to Metallica or Megadeth but when the vocals get all growly like Anthrax or Slayer, I`m not into that.

I think metal now covers a multitude of styles ..... some 'growly' some not.

Oldsters like me remember the good old days when the 'death voice' only happened in horror movies and growling was restricted to our canine friends!!

• Like 1

Oldsters like me remember the good old days when the 'death voice' only happened in horror movies and growling was restricted to our canine friends!!

:cheers: I love Sabbath but they`re a world away from a lot of bands they influenced.
  • Like 1

:cheers: I love Sabbath but they`re a world away from a lot of bands they influenced.

Ahhh.... simpler, friendlier days!
  • Like 1

Anthrax has some of the cleanest and melodic vocals in all of thrash metal. You must be thinking of some other band.

• Like 3

Anthrax has some of the cleanest and melodic vocals in all of thrash metal. You must be thinking of some other band.

Not quite Geddy, Ian Gillan, DLR though.
  • Like 1

Not quite Geddy, Ian Gillan, DLR though.

Geddy's vocals from the early albums might be dirtier than anything Anthrax's Joey Belladonna has ever done. He does sing pretty clean.

• Like 3