Do you own Van Halen III?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a copy of Van Halen III?

• Yes I own it and I like it
    • No I don't own it and I don't intend to buy it
    • Yes I own it, I think it's crap but I'm a completist
    • No I don't own it but I'm thinking of getting it now
    • Never even heard a song from it
    • Don't care
    • I'll f***ing kill you treeduck and make you suffer for this
    • My name is Fridge, do I own it? Do I f**k, who do you think you're talking to?
    • My name is Tony R, don't even ask and don't touch my face my skin is baby soft...
    • One day I might buy it
    • I have some MP3s of it somewhere
    • I threw it away
    • The dog ate it
    • My cock is exactly the right size to f**k it, so yeah I have it...
    • My name is Becky Blue Chica and I have dress made out of 56 copies of the album stuck together
    • My name is Michael Anthony, I should have been erased from that album
    • David Lee Roth here, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hahhhh!
    • Sammy Hagar here heee heee hee hee hee hee hee hee
    • I'll kill you all for this thread - the ghost of Gary Moore
    • I sold mine to a traveling gypsy
    • My name is Ken Jennings and I sold my body to get a copy of the album
    • My name is Johnny Blaze, aka Jonathan X Blaze, I ate my copy with a burger and fries
    • My name is EARL RAMER, I loved the album so much I married Gary Cherone, he calls himself Lisa these days
    • My name is Jack Aubrey, of course I bought it, I used it as target for my Uzi practice routine
    • My name is 73, I played on the album, just triangle and coffee making machine, it's better than nothing

Just finished listening to A Different Kind of Truth...and what a step up that one is compared to Van Halen III!!!!

Have you never heard it before?

Most of the songs were old 70's demos they revamped with new lyrics and new arrangements and guitar parts.

I'm halfway through another listen of Van Halen III, and I need to say that it' not as bad as we make it, but it's just NOT a legit Van Halen album. Once is a cool song with an amazing solo, but it doesn't belong in the band's pantheon. Again, A Year to the Day is way too long. One I Want has RIDICULOUS lyrics, even for Van Halen standards...I mean, look at this:

"Fat man, he's ordering seconds

Pizza man, just want to slice

Badman, looking for attention

A good man, he's hard to find

Mailman, looking more like your daughter

Straw man, don't have a leg to stand on

Gay man, looking for another

Candy man, yeah the candy man can

Josephina should also have been trimmed, From Afar is also out of place in VH's catalogue. Dirty Water Dog has a great fretwork, but needed a better chorus. Fire in the Hole and Without You are the saving graces of the album, and Ballot or the Bullet is confusing. How Many Say I should also have been canned.

I know it's going to be bad, but I have to get that album!

Just finished listening to A Different Kind of Truth...and what a step up that one is compared to Van Halen III!!!!

What's the connection between Van Halen and W.A.S.P.?

Of course I had heard the album before, and it was great to revisit it.

WASP and VH... didn't Eddie borrow Chris Holmes' guitar in the early days?

Here are a few things that would have improved Balance A LOT:

1) Get Sammy back to the drawing board to rewrite the lyrics for Amsterdam and Big Fat Money;

2) Get rid of Not Enough. It sounds like something a country artist would write.

3) Strung Out and doin' Time also need to go.

With that, you have two songs vastly improved, and a shorter album, with nine solid songs.

I would post about how to improve Van Halen III, but it would take away all the bytes I have on my computer...

I love Not Enough. :(

• Like 1

Here are a few things that would have improved Balance A LOT:

1) Get Sammy back to the drawing board to rewrite the lyrics for Amsterdam and Big Fat Money;

2) Get rid of Not Enough. It sounds like something a country artist would write.

3) Strung Out and doin' Time also need to go.

With that, you have two songs vastly improved, and a shorter album, with nine solid songs.

I would post about how to improve Van Halen III, but it would take away all the bytes I have on my computer...

I love Not Enough. :(

I love a good ballad, but this one is too corporate rock for me. And speaking of that...check this out:

"This is kinda like a country video...you know, it has like...football players, old people and dogs in it...". LOL!!!!

What's the connection between Van Halen and W.A.S.P.?

Of course I had heard the album before, and it was great to revisit it.

WASP and VH... didn't Eddie borrow Chris Holmes' guitar in the early days?

Yeah, Eddie bought an Ibanez Destroyer in 1975 and at first he used it in it's original form. Pretty soon though he began to customise it and by 1980 it was so chopped up the tone had changed and Eddie didn't like it. He wanted that tone though for the Women and Children First album so he went over to the hospital to visit his pal Chris Holmes who was the only person he knew who owned an Ibanez Destroyer, a red one. Chris had just been involved in a motorcycle accident which is why he was in hospital, and Eddie went and asked him could he borrow his guitar and Chris said yes. So there it is.

Here's a picture of it:

56e793835b2ea6e1adc19590aaecdeef.jpg

Edited by treeduck

Chris looks like a bum these days. All that partying and drinking took its toll, right?

He’s been sober to his credit.

He almost made the greatest video ever a few years back.

The one where he's drunk in the pool talking to his mom, right?

• Like 1

Chris looks like a bum these days. All that partying and drinking took its toll, right?

He always kind of looked like that. Like a biker villain out of 80's TV Cop show Hunter.

The bum beard, the perennially drunk voice and the apparent loss of some teeth don't help his looks in the slightest.

He always kind of looked like that. Like a biker villain out of 80's TV Cop show Hunter.

The bum beard, the perennially drunk voice and the apparent loss of some teeth don't help his looks in the slightest.

Imagine if you tried that look? You'd have to ask someone to knock some of your teeth out, drink like a fish, grow out your beard and hair and I'm absolutely certain you'd get call from Hollywood in no time!

I'm halfway through another listen of Van Halen III, and I need to say that it' not as bad as we make it, but it's just NOT a legit Van Halen album. Once is a cool song with an amazing solo, but it doesn't belong in the band's pantheon. Again, A Year to the Day is way too long. One I Want has RIDICULOUS lyrics, even for Van Halen standards...I mean, look at this:

"Fat man, he's ordering seconds

Pizza man, just want to slice

Badman, looking for attention

A good man, he's hard to find

Mailman, looking more like your daughter

Straw man, don't have a leg to stand on

Gay man, looking for another

Candy man, yeah the candy man can

Josephina should also have been trimmed, From Afar is also out of place in VH's catalogue. Dirty Water Dog has a great fretwork, but needed a better chorus. Fire in the Hole and Without You are the saving graces of the album, and Ballot or the Bullet is confusing. How Many Say I should also have been canned.

Todd In The Shadows mocked that song in the review.

Ant Man! Not in Infinity War!

Giant Man! That's actually Ant Man again!

Triangle man! He hates Particle Man!

• Like 1

I don't own a copy of this album, never have. I've heard it a few times but never owned it. But now I'm starting to feel like I need to grab a copy. Yeah it's worst VH album of the bunch, but it's got Eddie on it, and Alex and Michael Anthony on 3 songs (Ed plays the rest of the bass) and ok Gary Cherone was all wrong for the band and is the worst of the Van Halen singers. But is he any worse than Blaze Bailey in Maiden? Ripper Owens in Priest? Paul Rodgers in Queen? On paper I think he was a good choice. And who else could they have got in 1998?

I'm not trying to defend this album but I feel like I'm missing out on some Eddie tricks and licks and bits! It has to happen!

I like the record and I have several copies. Japanese, and limited tin cd versions.

I always bought Van Halen records regardless of the singer because I'm an Eddie, Alex, Michael Whore.

As a matter of fact and I have told this story before.

I saw the VAN HALEN III Tour at the Concord Pavilion!

I loved it minus Gary, but he wasn't awful. More wardrobe changes than Brittney fuckking Spears!!

The set list was great if my brain can remember.

They opened with "Mean Street." It was off the charts.

Then my favorite part was when Van Halen became a three piece band!!!

Gary left the stage and Michael took over the vocals on "Somebody Get Me A Doctor!" It was fuckking INCREDIBLE!!!!!

I've been very lucky regardless of the singer changes.

I've seen every Van Halen Tour since 1984!!!!

Just like RUSH!

• Like 1

I don't own a copy of this album, never have. I've heard it a few times but never owned it. But now I'm starting to feel like I need to grab a copy. Yeah it's worst VH album of the bunch, but it's got Eddie on it, and Alex and Michael Anthony on 3 songs (Ed plays the rest of the bass) and ok Gary Cherone was all wrong for the band and is the worst of the Van Halen singers. But is he any worse than Blaze Bailey in Maiden? Ripper Owens in Priest? Paul Rodgers in Queen? On paper I think he was a good choice. And who else could they have got in 1998?

I'm not trying to defend this album but I feel like I'm missing out on some Eddie tricks and licks and bits! It has to happen!

I like the record and I have several copies. Japanese, and limited tin cd versions.

I always bought Van Halen records regardless of the singer because I'm an Eddie, Alex, Michael Whore.

I loved it minus Gary, but he wasn't awful. More wardrobe changes than Brittney fuckking Spears!!

Gary left the stage and Michael took over the vocals on "Somebody Get Me A Doctor!" It was fuckking INCREDIBLE!!!!!

Just like RUSH!

I'll have to get a copy, hey it's got Eddie on it!

• Like 1

Just like RUSH!

YES SILLY!!!!

"FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!"

• Like 1

Just like RUSH!

YES SILLY!!!!

"FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!"

I just listened to a song from it, Dirty Wet Dog or something. It sounded like a Van Hagar-era song.

• Like 1

Just like RUSH!

YES SILLY!!!!

"FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!"

I just listened to a song from it, Dirty Wet Dog or something. It sounded like a Van Hagar-era song.

Yes Pat.

It is. There are better songs!!!!

• Like 1

There is only one other album that caught me totally off guard. An album I was sooo excited to hear and picked it up on day one. Just a VH III was complete shit, so is this:

R-7275684-1485574985-8671.jpeg.jpg

I couldn't force myself to sit through either album...

Balance really was a difficult album to be made, with Eddie claiming he was sober, but stashing bags of cocaine in holes in the wall of 5150, and disagreeing with Sammy about the lyrical content. Amsterdam in particular was a source of contention between the two, with Sammy painting a portrait of the land where the brothers were born as a place where anything would go, and seemingly promoting drug use in his lines. Also, the band wanted Baluchiterium to have lyrics, but Sammy said he was "too lazy to do it", so it was released as an instrumental - Valerie Bertinelli actually named the song.

This album has grown on me over the years. I think it’s their most mature album, and I like song arrangements. I liked the “ darker” direction they seemed to be going at the time, with don’t tell me what love can do and that tune for Twister, humans being.

• Like 1