DISCUSSION: Favorite Lifeson Guitar Solo From Each Studio Album?

_hi_water._

Rush - Working Man

Fly By Night - Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel - No One at The Bridge

2112 - Twilight Zone

A Farewell To Kings - Xanadu

Hemispheres - Hemispheres: Armageddon into Bringer of Balance

Permanent Waves - Different Strings

Moving Pictures - Limelight

Signals - Analog Kid

Grace Under Pressure - Between the Wheels (maybe his all time best)

Power Windows - Emotion Detector

Hold Your Fire - High Water

Presto - Available Light

Roll The Bones - Ghost of a Chance

Counterparts - Cut to the Chase - I mean...no contest there

Test For Echo - Virtuality

Vapor Trails - Ceiling Unlimited - especially from the original mix - just chords, but it sounds so epic.

Snakes & Arrows - The Way The Wind Blows

Clockwork Angels - The Anarchist/The Garden

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1

For those of you choosing "Kid Gloves" on P/G...

...get your ears checked.

"Red Sector A" solo is melodic, harmonic, sexy, and beautifully paced.

I realize you're not going far over the line here, but...

Dude, this is not the first time you've come off as kind of condescending about other people's taste in Rush. Lighten up maybe? Not everyone agrees with you about everything, and that should be okay.

Dude, this is not the first time you've come off as kind of condescending about other people's taste in Rush. Lighten up maybe? Not everyone agrees with you about everything, and that should be okay.

I'm a man of strong opinions.

Feel free to skip over my comments if they cause you that much consternation.

So is everyone. Doesn't give you the go ahead to tell other people they need their ears checked for liking a solo that you dislike.

So is everyone. Doesn't give you the go ahead to tell other people they need their ears checked for liking a solo that you dislike.

He doesn’t need to be given the go-ahead to say that.

Edited by JARG

Maybe I took it the wrong way. I've seen him post things that really unusually condescending before, and I guess it influenced how I read that post.

Maybe I took it the wrong way. I've seen him post things that really unusually condescending before, and I guess it influenced how I read that post.

There's an old saying in debate circles: "When you start complaining about tone, you've lost."

Perhaps you'd like me to break down each solo, musically speaking.

• Like 1

There's an old saying in debate circles: "When you start complaining about tone, you've lost."

Tone? No wonder "Toilet Paper Snail Trails" has lost.

To be honest I just find that you come off condescendingly when you talk about Alex's solos. You have every right to your opinion, but so does everyone else. We may well have just gotten started off on the wrong foot, and I definitely snapped at you too quickly. For that I apologize. I would ask though that you remember tone is very important on internet forums where we have only letters and emojis to clarify how we say what we say.

Meh. He has a ham-fisted way of saying he prefers one solo over another. My approach is not to take anyone's opinion too seriously (other than mine, of course). :)

I would. Bonus points if your analysis is free of opinion.

Presto - Chain Lightning

Interesting choice as that solo is backwards, and not how Alex originally played it. CLICK HERE

Vapor Trails - Ceiling Unlimited (Remix edition)

Wrong answer! That solo wasn't in the original mix because Alex didn't want any solos, and because the Pete Townsend chords sounded awesome all by themselves...but it was snuck in the back door by Bottrill in the remix, so it's not supposed to be there! It's an unsanctioned solo! :rage:

• Like 4

Presto - Chain Lightning

Interesting choice as that solo is backwards, and not how Alex originally played it. CLICK HERE

Wrong answer! That solo wasn't in the original mix because Alex didn't want any solos, and because the Pete Townsend chords sounded awesome all by themselves...but it was snuck in the back door by Bottrill in the remix, so it's not supposed to be there! It's an unsanctioned solo! :rage:

VT Original Mix >>>>>>>> Remixed

Presto - Chain Lightning

I don't like the "solos" on either of those albums so I was reaching for something else, anything!

Presto - Chain Lightning

I love the remix, but that added noodling was a HUGE letdown for me, since that section of Ceiling Unlimited is my favorite moment on the original VT mix.

That part f***ing ROARS.

Presto - Chain Lightning

I don't like the "solos" on either of those albums so I was reaching for something else, anything!

True.

Presto - Chain Lightning

I love the remix, but that added noodling was a HUGE letdown for me, since that section of Ceiling Unlimited is my favorite moment on the original VT mix.

That part f***ing ROARS.

100% correct. Bottrill completely missed the point of that section when he was given free reign in the remix. It seems the band weren't interested in poking their heads into the room during the remix sessions to offer up any suggestions. Lke, after hearing the remix, how did Alex not go, "No, no, take that solo back out, please...I recorded it back then as a goof just to see how it would sound but it really doesn't fit."

Presto - Chain Lightning

That part f***ing ROARS.

100% correct. Bottrill completely missed the point of that section when he was given free reign in the remix. It seems the band weren't interested in poking their heads into the room during the remix sessions to offer up any suggestions. Lke, after hearing the remix, how did Alex not go, "No, no, take that solo back out, please...I recorded it back then as a goof just to see how it would sound but it really doesn't fit."

I prefer the original mix myself.

Presto - Chain Lightning

That part f***ing ROARS.

Ugh! That remix makes my ears vomit! VOMIT TRAILS!

Presto - Chain Lightning

That part f***ing ROARS.

Ugh! That remix makes my ears vomit! VOMIT TRAILS!

I prefer the heavy metal original mix with the balls it was meant to have. I never listen to TurbanIngrownToeNail Earl. I prefer RUSH!

Presto - Chain Lightning

THAT IS INCREDIBLE!!!!!! Never heard the "Chain Lightning" solo in reverse!!! Yeah JARG! HAIL SATAN!!! Crazy!

• Like 1

Presto - Chain Lightning

THAT IS INCREDIBLE!!!!!! Never heard the "Chain Lightning" solo in reverse!!! Yeah JARG! HAIL SATAN!!! Crazy!

Have you chosen your favourite Alex solos off each album yet?

Kid Gloves? Nope.

"Between The Wheels" for me.

BTW has an awesome solo, but Kid Gloves is an auto winner for me

Yes! The solo on "Kid Gloves" is lovely!

Dude I was having a conversation with "Grace Under Pressure" as a whole with Treeduck. He ranks the record 15th. It's absurd!!!! LOL!

"GUP" is my number 2 most favorite incredible album in the Rush Canon!!

Many Rush Fans can't stand "Red Lenses." To each their own but that drives me crazy!!!!!

It could be lower Earl it's full of fake new wave. Rush wanted to be ABC so they wrote a song that went "One Zero Zero One Zero Zero Metal Fans Kiss My Ass"