The 2020/2021 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

Looking forward to tonight's games.

England are already through with guaranteed 3rd spot although they should beat Czech Republic I would have thought.

Not so sure about Scotland though. It could be difficult for them.

The only clue that Spurs would be willing to accept an offer for Kane would be if a serious transfer spree took place first; Levy wouldn`t want the "you`ve got £100m" premium added to any future buys.

If the deal was Jesus + Sterling + £100m or thereabouts, I would take it; Premier League ready replacements cost a lot more than untried talent and this is no time to errrr... roll the bones. Whoever the new manager is can`t wait a season for them to acclimatise as we`re not exactly building from strength.

• Like 1

Seeing £140m talked about this AM. Yep, that`ll do. Replace him before anyone notices how he`s playing right now :bump:

As you said, though, PL-level replacements aren't growing on trees. Major League Baseball has a stat called something like "Wins Above Replacement Player" as a way to measure how much better Guy A is over Guy B, and I'm guessing Kane would have a pretty steep WAR. True, you could buy four strikers at 35 mil each -- and that would buy you a tidy striker (or it used to?) -- but you couldn't play all four at the same time and the odds are any one of them would be a comedown.

Of course, Spurs could buy four guys they could play all over the pitch, simply accepting the loss of Kane's goals and hoping it's offset by better play from back to front.

And just so we're clear, when you say Sterling and Jesus, do you mean "of Nazareth" or the other one? Gabriel Jesus is a good player, but you could also probably use a guy who can be back on the field three days after serious injury!

• Like 3

Seeing £140m talked about this AM. Yep, that`ll do. Replace him before anyone notices how he`s playing right now :bump:

As you said, though, PL-level replacements aren't growing on trees. Major League Baseball has a stat called something like "Wins Above Replacement Player" as a way to measure how much better Guy A is over Guy B, and I'm guessing Kane would have a pretty steep WAR. True, you could buy four strikers at 35 mil each -- and that would buy you a tidy striker (or it used to?) -- but you couldn't play all four at the same time and the odds are any one of them would be a comedown.

Of course, Spurs could buy four guys they could play all over the pitch, simply accepting the loss of Kane's goals and hoping it's offset by better play from back to front.

And just so we're clear, when you say Sterling and Jesus, do you mean "of Nazareth" or the other one? Gabriel Jesus is a good player, but you could also probably use a guy who can be back on the field three days after serious injury!

I'm not sure about the Nazareth guy - has a lot of crazy fans. Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

What a weird and fractured set up Scotland must have! Chilwell and Mount are exposed to the dangerously toxic Billy Gilmour by speaking to him from within a metre for too long after the auld enemy match, and therefore have to self-isolate.

Meanwhile, NOBODY in the Scotland squad has been near Gilmour for a similar time, despite being in the changing room and team bus, hell, even lining up for the anthem etc. Nobody has been within two metres of Gilmour for fifteen minutes either, the other reason to have to self-isolate.

Meanwhile... the UK government are disposed to allowing 2,500 UEFA delegates to bypass the same rules to allow them to attend a final at Wembley.

:moon:

• Like 1

What a weird and fractured set up Scotland must have! Chilwell and Mount are exposed to the dangerously toxic Billy Gilmour by speaking to him from within a metre for too long after the auld enemy match, and therefore have to self-isolate.

Meanwhile, NOBODY in the Scotland squad has been near Gilmour for a similar time, despite being in the changing room and team bus, hell, even lining up for the anthem etc. Nobody has been within two metres of Gilmour for fifteen minutes either, the other reason to have to self-isolate.

Meanwhile... the UK government are disposed to allowing 2,500 UEFA delegates to bypass the same rules to allow them to attend a final at Wembley.

:moon:

The 2,500 delegates fiasco is beyond belief. One rule for one .. etc.
  • Like 1

If I may be indulged a little SOCN? WAR is a great rule for so many things in life. Pondering a new wife? WAR! Bemoaning Joe Manchin`s voting record? WAR! Does anyone think he`s the worst WV have got? :tsk:
  • Like 1

That`s so good from Modric - nice way to celebrate his new one-year deal at Madrid :notworthy:

I chose to watch the England game :banghead: It was pretty dull overall.
  • Like 1

That`s so good from Modric - nice way to celebrate his new one-year deal at Madrid :notworthy:

They can be relied upon for dull. I don`t think I`d be particularly relaxed about the next game going England`s way :fuckinputer:
  • Like 2

They can be relied upon for dull. I don`t think I`d be particularly relaxed about the next game going England`s way :fuckinputer:

It will be at Wembley at least. They came top of their group and conceded no goals ... but .... it was all a bit uninspiring.
  • Like 2

Croatia to play the second team from Poland`s group. Possibly Poland. That would be a pleasant draw, Croatia are very old and can`t play well next week too :sarcastic:
  • Like 2

Croatia to play the second team from Poland`s group. Possibly Poland. That would be a pleasant draw, Croatia are very old and can`t play well next week too :sarcastic:

I think you would fancy your chances against Croatia.

All this time, I thought it was the head-to-head that decided the tie on points, but now I found out it's the goals. Didn't read enough articles, I guess.
  • Like 1

All this time, I thought it was the head-to-head that decided the tie on points, but now I found out it's the goals. Didn't read enough articles, I guess.

I don`t believe that for a second :eh:
  • Like 1

Oh yeah. For some reason I thought the Czechs beat Croatia, :gumby: and I didn't start drinking yet.
  • Like 1

Oh yeah. For some reason I thought the Czechs beat Croatia, :gumby: and I didn't start drinking yet.

How you feeling about tomorrow? Uncharacteristically confident, or is that also dependent on a few drinks?
  • Like 1

How you feeling about tomorrow? Uncharacteristically confident, or is that also dependent on a few drinks?

Everybody's panicking because it's supposed to be very hot tomorrow, well above 30C. I'm just panicking because we're playing Sweden. And it's not even hockey. The one thing that I can hang my head on is that we need a win. Playing for a draw always did us in. But if Sweden scores a goal, I find it difficult to believe we'll be able to strike twice. That said, if we win 2-1 and Spain draws with Slovakia, Poland wins the group. :wacko:
  • Like 2

Everybody's panicking because it's supposed to be very hot tomorrow, well above 30C. I'm just panicking because we're playing Sweden. And it's not even hockey. The one thing that I can hang my head on is that we need a win. Playing for a draw always did us in. But if Sweden scores a goal, I find it difficult to believe we'll be able to strike twice. That said, if we win 2-1 and Spain draws with Slovakia, Poland wins the group. :wacko:

Wojciech Szczesny agrees with you: “Mentally, it is pretty easy when you know you have to win the match. No need to speculate. So the mental approach to such a game is much simpler because you don’t leave any energy for the last few minutes or the next match. You play for your life, and I think that can help us.”

He should ensure he is focused as he is my concern. No matter the potential joy from Zielinski/Lewandowski linking up, I always feel in a key moment Szczesny will trip over his shoelaces or his shorts will fall down.

• Like 1

Wojciech Szczesny agrees with you: “Mentally, it is pretty easy when you know you have to win the match. No need to speculate. So the mental approach to such a game is much simpler because you don’t leave any energy for the last few minutes or the next match. You play for your life, and I think that can help us.”

He should ensure he is focused as he is my concern. No matter the potential joy from Zielinski/Lewandowski linking up, I always feel in a key moment Szczesny will trip over his shoelaces or his shorts will fall down.

Moder can't play, enter Krychowiak. :facepalm: God, save us.
  • Like 1

Moder can't play, enter Krychowiak. :facepalm: God, save us.

I like Moder, often looked good for Brighton in cameos. Squeaky bum time, good luck :popcorn: