1971 - THE YEAR © ℗®™ Part 17 - Which album from this list of 1971 releases do you consider to be the best?

treeduck

1971 THE YEAR © ℗®™ Part 17  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these albums from 1971 is your favourite choice for that particular year?

• Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
    • Led Zeppelin - IV
    • Jethro Tull - Aqualung
    • Deep Purple - Fireball
    • Yes - Fragile
    • David Bowie - Hunky Dory
    • ZZ Top - ZZ Top's First Album
    • Budgie - Budgie
    • Uriah Heep - Look at Yourself
    • Pink Floyd - Meddle
    • The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
    • The Who - Who's Next
    • The Doors - L.A. Woman
    • T-Rex - Electric Warrior
    • Yes - The Yes Album
    • Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
    • The Mahavishnu Orchestra With John McLaughlin - The Inner Mounting Flame
    • Genesis - Nursery Cryme
    • Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste
    • Alice Cooper - Killer
    • John Lennon - Imagine
    • Uriah Heep - Salisbury
    • Mountain - Nantucket Sleighride
    • Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus
    • Jeff Beck Group - Rough and Ready
    • Chicago - Chicago III
    • Fleetwood Mac - Future Games
    • Johnny Cash - Man in Black
    • The Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favour
    • The Electric Light Orchestra - The Electric Light Orchestra
    • Wishbone Ash - Pilgrimage
    • Amon Düül II - Tanz der Lemminge
    • Elton John - Madman Across the Water
    • Hawkwind - In Search of Space
    • Traffic - The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
    • Santana - Santana III
    • King Crimson - Islands
    • Paul McCartney Linda McCartney - Ram
    • Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink
    • Thin Lizzy - Thin Lizzy

Ridiculously hard. Lots of masterpieces. Led Zep IV, Who’s Next (!!), The Yes Album (!), Fragile (!!!), Meddle (!!), Nursery Cryme, Master Of Reality, Tarkus, Inner Mounting Flame (!!), LA Woman,Aqualung... sheesh

went with LedZep IV

f**k, f**k, f**k!

Led Zep IV, Who’s Next, The Yes Album, Fragile, Meddle, Nursery Cryme, Master Of Reality....

Ok, it’s got to be Led Zep IV

Yeah, it does. Helluva year.

So this question has percolated, and not voting seems to defeat the purpose of the fun of these polls, and I've come to consider the question about "best album."

"Echoes" and "Fearless" are two of my all-time favorite PF tracks, but several of the others on that album are skippable filler.

Led Zep IV has "Stairway," "Rock and Roll," "Black Dog," and "Levee"

Aqualung has the title song, "Cross-eyed Mary," "Locomotive Breath," "My God, "Hymn 43," "Up to Me"

As a total statement that hangs together thematically, sonically, etc., I'm taking the plunge and voting for Aqualung.

Meddle or Whos Next for me, but the inclusion of Chicago III really complicates this for me. That is an excellent album not mentioned too often concerning that band.

As much as I love the Doors, I think L.A. Woman is too inconsistent.

For me it was a battle between Led Zep, Sabbath, The Who and Tull. And after a lot of internal debate my vote goes to Aqualung.

What do you think of the Ian Anderson quote where he joked something to the extent of, "with Zeppelin's riffs and my lyrics you could make a pretty good band"?

• Like 1

For me it was a battle between Led Zep, Sabbath, The Who and Tull. And after a lot of internal debate my vote goes to Aqualung.

What do you think of the Ian Anderson quote where he joked something to the extent of, "with Zeppelin's riffs and my lyrics you could make a pretty good band"?

I'd say Martin Barre's riffs, or maybe it's Ian Anderson's riffs are just as good as Page's, maybe better!

• Like 1

I'd say Martin Barre's riffs, or maybe it's Ian Anderson's riffs are just as good as Page's, maybe better!

They're both very underrated!

• Like 1

Aye!

• Like 1