NPS Cult

Mr. Not

HCE was one thing, I dislike it overall, but there's a few good songs / moments on it and I don't think the album was a mistake - it just could have been a lot better is all. If you think it's a great album then that's fine, I agree to disagree.

To The Boner is an entirely different story however. If you think it's a good album you should probably just kill yourself.

I can say that I think H.C.E. had a reason to exist. Boner did not.

HCE was one thing, I dislike it overall, but there's a few good songs / moments on it and I don't think the album was a mistake - it just could have been a lot better is all. If you think it's a great album then that's fine, I agree to disagree.

To The Boner is an entirely different story however. If you think it's a good album you should probably just kill yourself.

I can say that I think H.C.E. had a reason to exist. Boner did not.

NO STEVEN JOHN WILSON ON PM'S TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 2017 FOR YOU! Edited by PolarizeMe

Gavin started out playing along to his father's collection of jazz records. He plays for many jazz groups and has released jazz covers of Porcupine Tree songs.

Colin plays double bass and his basslines are obviously jazz influenced - you don't even need a fantastic musical ear to figure that out (that's why I could).

Richard cites Bitches Brew as one of his favorite albums and Magma as one of his favorite bands.

STEVEN WILSON IS FAKE NEWS

97231c56cbb4fc4791f9f4b434234f2b.jpg

Just me EFFING around on bass with a virtual amp. Kinda cool. You can skip this and comfortably know you didn't miss anything whatsoever.

(well, 1:00 - 1:08 is kind of neat ((

https://void.cat/e50305c063768fd48b14cc77abddac8f11c6cbd1&v

This sounds just as good/bad as my proficiency in bass.

Just me EFFING around on bass with a virtual amp. Kinda cool. You can skip this and comfortably know you didn't miss anything whatsoever.

https://void.cat/e50...dac8f11c6cbd1

Now, I'm not claiming I'm pro, but to be fair about this: I had the tone dial on full and the bass was plugged into my USB Amp Line... And it was basically me just improving so of course the final result, considering all those factors, is: SHIT. The amp effects don't necessarily help either, in fact I think they make it sound worse. But hey, it was fun to play around with. I think I'll do another in a few minutes here.

Watch episode 809 of One Piece now on FunimationNow!

I never even watched episode 1 yet.

I need to check it out, still... It's an ep of Big Mom's army vs Nami & Luffy, and Luffy's already just barely beaten Cracker and then got the shit kicked out of him by Sanji, so he's basically standing on his last leg as it is & in Hell.

Now, I'm not claiming I'm pro, but to be fair about this: I had the tone dial on full and the bass was plugged into my USB Amp Line... And it was basically me just improving so of course the final result, considering all those factors, is: SHIT. The amp effects don't necessarily help either, in fact I think they make it sound worse. But hey, it was fun to play around with. I think I'll do another in a few minutes here.

I should get a recording of me on bass out here soon...alas, I don't have a USB Amp Line or a DI box yet.

Bill Rieflin is unable to join KC on this Autumn outing.

^ wtf? this guy ***** his own ****!

That's it. I'm selling my KC tickets. I wanted to see KC just for Bill Rieflin and Bill Rieflin alone!

Edited by PolarizeMe

I should get a recording of me on bass out here soon...alas, I don't have a USB Amp Line or a DI box yet.

buy one, they're very affordable. Spend one day without eating/drinking/supplements, and unless you have an extremely cheap diet, you'll easily be able to afford one ;)

Edited by Mr. Not

buy one, they're very affordable. Spend one day without eating/drinking/supplements, and unless you have an extremely cheap diet, you'll easily be able to afford one ;)

If I do, I'd probably get something that's gonna last me awhile...something like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo, 2i2, or 2i4.

If I do, I'd probably get something that's gonna last me awhile...something like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo, 2i2, or 2i4.

getting a link USB amp is so cheap and there are so many open-source amps/effects out there that it's really just a no-brainer

getting a link USB amp is so cheap and there are so many open-source amps/effects out there that it's really just a no-brainer

I'm just wonder if I can plug my bass into my pedals and from the pedals into the USB amp cause I was gonna attempt at recording vocals simultaneously too if I got the inclination to do so. Edited by PolarizeMe

I'm just wonder if I can plug my bass into my pedals and from the pedals into the USB amp cause I was gonna attempt at recording vocals simultaneously too if I got the inclination to do so.

Yes, pedals work with usb links as they would with live amps. As for recording your instrument along with your vocals -- this would be possible but man would it be a bitch to set up in a live sort of setting... not to mention pretty much pointless, who does that? I can't think of a single vocalist/guitarist or vocalist/bassist who says they simultaneously record vocals and their instrument while in studio.

Obviously this is a good practice for when you perform the song live, but as for the recording process? Nah, no way.

I'm just wonder if I can plug my bass into my pedals and from the pedals into the USB amp cause I was gonna attempt at recording vocals simultaneously too if I got the inclination to do so.

Yes, pedals work with usb links as they would with live amps. As for recording your instrument along with your vocals -- this would be possible but man would it be a bitch to set up in a live sort of setting... not to mention pretty much pointless, who does that? I can't think of a single vocalist/guitarist or vocalist/bassist who says they simultaneously record vocals and their instrument while in studio.

Obviously this is a good practice for when you perform the song live, but as for the recording process? Nah, no way.

I don't sing though...nor do I do death metal vocals either. I think my main peeve is whether or not the USB links will sound good.

Maus is awesome.

This baby-brained virtue signaling F-got interviewer tried his best to get Maus to denounce MDE, but Maud didn't budge and stuck to his principles. Now, if John Maus comes around to denouncing MDE sometime in the future- then while I can't say I'll still admire him as much, I'll still pay him his due props for at least looking into things instead of blindly going "Oh, you say THIS = BAD? Duhh, then 'THIS' certainly must = BAD!!!"... That's what so many retards do today without so much as a second thought...

Maus is someone who stands by his art, and his comrades ;) it's obvious that Maus is very far left while Sam is far right - but all the while both are anti-authoritarian. I have always respected that spirit and I always will, and I believe this is what unites Maus and MDE.

The last thing I wanted to ask about, which I'm sure you've gotten some questions about, is your appearance on Million Dollar Extreme Presents: World Peace. When the show was cancelled, you didn't put out a statement. I guess I'm curious why.

I've talked about it with people. I was out in Minnesota, and the label got in touch and said, "A show on Adult Swim wants you to be on it." I was like, "Oh, Adult Swim."

I love TV. I watch a lot of TV. I knew Space Ghost and I knew Tim and Eric. I'm like, "Cool. This is awesome." I said, "What's their name?"

I googled, and I just see this video of a guy in Roman armor taking a piss on a TED lecture. Now after everything we've said, obviously I'm like, "Right on. f***ing TED." Then I saw some other stuff, where they were taking a piss on, whatever, cool people in Brooklyn and stuff like that. I liked their target so far as I could see.

I said, "Oh yeah, they look like cool dudes. I'll go and do this." I said, "I want to sleep on the couch." I didn't want to come in and just sing a song and go. I wanted to be on the set and see. It was cool, the whole place, and to be on a TV set. They were super nice.

Then a few months later or whatever, one of the people from the label was like, "Yo, did you see this? You gotta say something." "They're Nazis," or something like that.

Shit. A cult of a race and blood—that's an absolute obscenity. That's nothing other than disaster. That's just inarguably obscene, that sort of ideology.

If the question too is why not just throw in your two cents about it or whatever, it's just so insanely complicated the way the biopolitics and the cults of race and blood, the residues of that, are rearing their ugly faces again in our situation. That's too complicated a thing to try to touch with [140] characters without running the risk of just turning the screw.

I don't want to make any apology, but I also didn't want to... The guys I met were nice. They weren't burning crosses or doing anything like that. In other words, I never had, from what I know about it, any indication that anything other than certain instances of a sort of trolling was going on. What did they do that made them Nazis? Maybe I haven't looked into it. Or why were they alt-right people?

Even the show itself has been accused of having racist characters.

The one I was on, there was a sketch at the beginning of it where these guys are sitting at a wine-tasting party or something like that, and their wives are there, and they make a point of the character—one of the wives is off-putting. She scowls and things like that. One of the guys trips her, and she falls through glass, and it tears up her face, and she's bleeding.

Now immediately, I'm thinking of Metalocalypse. I'm thinking of phantasmagorical humor, like a person gets their arm ripped off or something, and there's something absurd about that. I didn't think much beyond that about it.

Then people were like, "This is a misogynist sketch." Then in that sense I'm thinking of the French feminist theory, this whole reading of it from that standpoint: the men do not acknowledge the woman as an agent, as having any subjectivity. She's just an object in their patriarchal economy. In that sense, it's like a feminist critique of where a woman is made to stand in a patriarchal, heteronormative reality. The idea that it just encourages violence against women, maybe I'm just too dumb. I didn't see that or something like that. I don't know.

Are you receptive to hearing stuff like that—to being challenged by people?

Absolutely, but I've always considered my own politics, in whatever sense you can put them on a spectrum, left of left of left of left.

By and large, before any of this, I regarded the media and Washington as more or less a spectacle that was finally not where the locus of power in our situation lies. The networks of AT&T, the management of data packets—all these sorts of things seem to me to be more politically effective than the residues of some 18th century dainty Whig representative democracy chimera thing going on. Then of course, this all has real political effects. Just little quips and soundbites don't lend themselves to any sort of change. It blew my mind, the whole thing. I didn't know where the way in was.

You were shocked that they were accused of being Nazis, basically?

Maybe I didn't look into it hard enough. What sort of imbecile is going to pay alms, as I keep saying, to some race or something like that? To me, that's beneath contempt. It's taken for granted that such a thing as that is beneath contempt.

These people do exist.

I know they do. I saw it certainly in the election. It's so complicated. I don't want to do one of the easy positions on it, because it's all the vulgarity of biopolitics, as it's called. It's already much deeper than the clowns that don't want the statue of the Confederate general torn down. I get why that is obscene. I understand that, but where the conditions of possibility for that sort of obscenity finally lie is in a much broader... I don't even like touching this with a stick. They exist, yeah. Help me out here. What am I trying to say?

This is gonna sound like a weird way in, but are you familiar with the band Prefab Sprout? There's a solo album by the guy from that band called I Trawl the Megahertz , which should be totally unrelated to this conversation, except that Sam Hyde mentioned that album in an interview as something that he liked. Now there are people posting racial slurs on a Youtube video for that album. How does that make you feel, as someone who's also associated with Sam's work?

You can't do that. I used to think for a super long time when I saw YouTube comments and Yahoo comments, like, "I can't believe this." Then I only found out a couple years ago, way behind the curve, that these were all 15-year-old kids or whatever, just trying to say the most scandalous, outrageous, horrifying thing they could say, for shock value or whatever. No, you can't do that. You can't do that.

After Auschwitz, [German philosopher Theodor] Adorno's over here, having escaped, and his friends, [Walter] Benjamin included, died in this disaster, and he's like, "Look, Auschwitz gives us a new categorical imperative, and that's that Auschwitz never happen again"—and anybody who would argue with it, they've already lost on the face that they're showing themselves to be barbarous. Anything—any action—that seems to go in that direction is precisely ethically what ought to be avoided.

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

Just kidding!

I was too focused on this autistapiece instead.

basically a random-idea solo exhibition set with a select few rhythm sections as back drops... So, it's one big writing experiment, essentially.