Boston vs. Foreigner vs. Kansas

Lorraine

30 members have voted

1. 1. Boston vs. Foreigner vs. Kansas

What makes Kansas better than Foreigner?

Foreigner are more straight forward in song structure to the point they wear really really fast for me.

So i find myself unable to do a Foreigner marathon because of that .

Mick

What do you mean by "more straight forward in song structure"?

Foreigner play and produced meticulously arranged rock songs to blast out of the radio. You got the hook. You got chorus. You got the appealing lead singer.

Kansas traveled along the road of epic prog albums. For that reason, I think a lot of Rush fans would prefer Kansas over Foreigner.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 2

Foreigner are more straight forward in song structure to the point they wear really really fast for me.

Mick

Kansas at least in the 70's had touches of prog in them so they tended to be a little more interesting musically to me anywaay. Foreigner wrote kick ass pop/rock tunes. that ccan blend together after long periods of listening.

Mick

• Like 1

Foreigner play and produce meticulously arranged rock songs to blast out of the radio. You got the hook. You got chorus. You got the appealing lead singer.

Kansas traveled along the road of epic prog albums. For that reason, I think a lot of Rush fans would prefer Kansas over Foreigner.

this was my basic point, lol

Mick

Foreigner play and produce meticulously arranged rock songs to blast out of the radio. You got the hook. You got chorus. You got the appealing lead singer.

Mick

Yeah. I didn't read your post until after I posted mine.

• Like 1

Mick

Yeah. I didn't read your post until after I posted mine.

great minds my friend.

Mick

• Like 1

Kansas and Boston have/had better, smoother sounding, lead singers. Foreigner's lead singer's voice was kind of raw, but I guess it suited their songs.

both singers are awesome. fit their bands amazingly well.

Mick

• Like 1

Kansas and Boston have/had better, smoother sounding, lead singers. Foreigner's lead singer's voice was kind of raw, but I guess it suited their songs.

I think Lou Gramm is more of a soulful singer than Steve Walsh or Brad Delp. When Foreigner went the ballad route Lou Gramm knocked it out of the park.

• Like 1

I'd say they are more challenging. Have you heard their earliest work? The first five albums are more akin to Genesis or early Rush than, say, Boston or Foreigner.

Yes, I have heard those albums, but I didn't care for them that much back then.

Oh that's totally fine!

When you said they sounded like Foreigner my mind went to those albums but actually I think as time moved on they did become more and more like Foreigner and other radio bands.

Fight Fire With Fire for one example!

I love that song and album but yeah, it's very much along the lines of the other two bands in this poll.

• Like 1

Mick

Well Kansas have prog leanings but I always find Foreigner to be very formula driven band. Every song sounds radio ready and rarely ever anything close to experimental.

I love them they are addictive but they are definitely one of the most formulaic, dare I say bland, bands I love.

However they aren't Bon Jovi level banal. And yes I like them too!

I actually really love the new Foreigner frontman. Can't Slow Down might actually be my favourite Foreigner album!

Of these three bands Lou Gramm is my favourite frontman. Then Steve Walsh.

I enjoy all three far more than the likes of Dennis Deyoung, Freddie Mercury or Steve Perry.

• Like 1

I actually really love the new Foreigner frontman. Can't Slow Down might actually be my favourite Foreigner album!

Of these three bands Lou Gramm is my favourite frontman. Then Steve Walsh.

I enjoy all three far more than the likes of Dennis Deyoung, Freddie Mercury or Steve Perry.

I can't say Can't say Can't Slow Down is my fav. i can't even say i prefer it to any Gramm era album. however.........anyone dismissing it because of no Gramm. is still missing out. it is a great album.

Mick

Actually I might even prefer Foreigner to Toto. I can think of many Toto songs I don't enjoy much or loathe...

...but not a single Foreigner song.

Then again Toto, like Rush, have a lot of variety in their sound. The biggest fault I have with Foreigner is they released mainly great music. But always more of the same.

• Like 1

See I like Boston but the debut is just ok. It's got amazing stuff but it doesn't have much replay value for me, compared to the debuts of comparable bands like Toto, Foreigner, Trillion, Kansas, or even Styx and Bon Jovi.

But I can't slate it it's a beautiful record. The next two I really enjoy, Third Stage likely being my favourite.

• Like 1