Whats in a name

ByWyzD

OK - so I've been hanging out in TRF for a couple of weeks now and an really hooked on this thing. I've had the chance to meet some great folks and read some really great stuff. Thank you all!! As I look around I'm always curious as to where some of the TRF names come from so I thought I would ask. I'll go ahead and start.

When I was young I always liked Rush and knew a few songs by them but the moment I got "hooked" was when I attended a concert in 1984 on the GuP tour. At that concert I head this song I hadn't heard before and thought it was about the coolest thing I had ever heard. I asked someone what the song was called ( it was a little hard to hear at the concert ) and I thought they said ByWyzD ( By Wise Dee ). So I went back home and got a copy of Moving Pictures and to my surprise it was actually called YYZ. Big slap to the forehead!! Well, the rest is history. Here I am 21 years later and still hooked on 2.gif . Except that now I know the song names. fing.gif

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I like trees. Drawing a tree or trees is a common assignment in art and design courses. A design professor once told me that each tree has it's own personality and gestures. I really identified with that statement.

Well when it came to coming up with a user name, I remembered that comment. I wanted to make something original that no one else would have thought of. I didn't want to just call myself "the tree", so I looked for other songs in Rush's catalog that could be used as an adjective or adverb preceeding "tree".

In that same design course, we had an assignment where she gave us a list of adjectives and a list of nouns. We picked one from each and drew the result. Mine was a "caged tree".

When I was looking at the song "circumstances" I thought that would be good to use since the song preceeds "the trees" on Hemispheres. So I just changed it to "circumstantial" to make it work and there you have it.

"It has nothing to do with brown rice" (to quote Geddy Lee)

Well, ABZ is the Airport code for Aberdeen, like YYZ is for Toronto. Highlander, because I'm from Inverness, capital of the Highlands.

Also, I figured when I joined that all the good Rush connected names would be taken, and most of them are, with some excellent ones too.

Happy with the one I chose though. trink39.gif

In case you don't know, Slaine mac Roth is the name of a psychotic Irish warrior in the comic 200AD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/Jimyyz2112/Slaine/slaine.jpg

I started using it on one forum and the name has just stuck.

I used to really be into comics back in the day. 'Johnny Blaze' is the name of a Marvel comics character. He turns himself into the GHOST RIDER (my avatar) to battle evil. On a side note, I think there's gonna be a Ghost Rider movie coming out next summer. Now, I wonder what the chances of the song making it to the soundtrack are.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 23 2005, 05:08 PM)
I used to really be into comics back in the day. 'Johnny Blaze' is the name of a Marvel comics character. He turns himself into the GHOST RIDER (my avatar) to battle evil. On a side note, I think there's gonna be a Ghost Rider movie coming out next summer. Now, I wonder what the chances of the song making it to the soundtrack are.

About the same as me winning the Eurovision Song Contest.

I'm a member of a few forums and this is my name in them all. I have a very small brain and only so much space allocated to remembering id's and passwords.

Oh, and the name comes from me just plodding along through life.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Sep 24 2005, 02:12 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 23 2005, 05:08 PM)
I used to really be into comics back in the day.  'Johnny Blaze' is the name of a Marvel comics character.  He turns himself into the GHOST RIDER (my avatar) to battle evil.  On a side note, I think there's gonna be a Ghost Rider movie coming out next summer.  Now, I wonder what the chances of the song making it to the soundtrack are.

About the same as me winning the Eurovision Song Contest.

Yah, I know. sad.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 23 2005, 01:12 PM)
Mine is in the Irish/Gaelic language.

madra means 'dog', sneachta means 'of snow'.

You may possibly see where this is going..... wink.gif

ohmy.gif I've wondered that for a long time. Thanks for clearing it up! That's really cool. cool.gif

I love Faeries and wee folk so I took on the name of Pixey and made it my own with a Y.

I didnt think faery, Sprite, troll, elf or anything sounded as good and I had already had a friend that was nicknamed Brownie.

well this is my first forum and I didn't want to think of any cool Irish or Rush related saying. I just moved to Colorado from Ireland and I just named after the local american football team and two of their best players.

broncos = denver

7=john elway

30=terrell davis.

lame eh? Madra's is better. Sometimes I think I would like to come up with a better one but this is the only forum I am(have) been on so it stays..

Well, nymphs are actually "wee folk". A famous one is Callypso in Homer's Odyssey.

Water nymphs, wood nymphs, etc...

Archived