Funny little Rush story

Steve Smith

I hope I am not trivialising things but just want to recount a little story that Alex gave in an interview a few years ago.

Alex is an accomplished pilot but I did not realise he is a very keen and good golfer as well.

Golf has always been my game since a kid (please dont fall asleep yet!)

Alex was co owner of a golf course (near Toronto I think? maybe someone can correct me) and tried to get Gary and Neil into the game.

Geddy tried and persevered but after a few holes Neil threw his club on the ground and stormed off the course shouting "It's a bloody stupid game!!!!". Many would probably agree with Neil, he is a perfectionist and in this stupid game we play perfection can never ever be achieved! ha ha

Anyway, Alex is a good friend of a professional golfer called Rocco Mediate who lost a play off for the United States Open against Tiger Woods in 2008. Rocco is a keen guitar player and a huge Rush fan.

Alex said that when he and Rocco get together all he wants to talk about is golf and all Rocco wants to talk about is music! ha ha :-)

I think that is quite cool ;-)

Steve

• Like 3

:LOL:

Steve, is that true about Neil storming off the course ??

Seems like a tall tale. Sounds like something Neil would do jokingly despite not actually enjoying golf.

.. so I guess the part about him getting in a golf cart and plowing right into a table full of senior citizens isn't true either ??

• Like 1

Seems like a tall tale. Sounds like something Neil would do jokingly despite not actually enjoying golf.

.. so I guess the part about him getting in a golf cart and plowing right into a table full of senior citizens isn't true either ??

Partly true. He ordered Mosbach to drive the golf cart

• Like 3

Partially true. They were actually dream theatre fans.

I doubt Neil would even try to play golf... never a sports player. There are those goddam lines again.

...and that caddy got no 2 weeks pay! He got 2 weeks TIME! To get off.

Sorry, it's a legendary Buddy Rich rant that I've heard about 50 million times. I have several of them committed to memory from Celebrities At Their Worst. It's a series of recordings I can't recommend more highly.

I hope I am not trivialising things but just want to recount a little story that Alex gave in an interview a few years ago.

Alex is an accomplished pilot but I did not realise he is a very keen and good golfer as well.

Golf has always been my game since a kid (please dont fall asleep yet!)

Alex was co owner of a golf course (near Toronto I think? maybe someone can correct me) and tried to get Gary and Neil into the game.

Geddy tried and persevered but after a few holes Neil threw his club on the ground and stormed off the course shouting "It's a bloody stupid game!!!!". Many would probably agree with Neil, he is a perfectionist and in this stupid game we play perfection can never ever be achieved! ha ha

Anyway, Alex is a good friend of a professional golfer called Rocco Mediate who lost a play off for the United States Open against Tiger Woods in 2008. Rocco is a keen guitar player and a huge Rush fan.

Alex said that when he and Rocco get together all he wants to talk about is golf and all Rocco wants to talk about is music! ha ha :-)

I think that is quite cool ;-)

Steve

Rocco's hometown is about 20 minutes from where I live. He's a solid dude.

...and that caddy got no 2 weeks pay! He got 2 weeks TIME! To get off.

Sorry, it's a legendary Buddy Rich rant that I've heard about 50 million times. I have several of them committed to memory from Celebrities At Their Worst. It's a series of recordings I can't recommend more highly.

"And shave those beards, get rid of the beards. What do you think this is, the House of David?"

:D

There's a good Paul Anka rant caught on tape. Not as intense as the Buddy Rich tapes, but worth a listen.

I believe the BR golf story was related by Mel Torme in his book on BR "Traps, the Drum Wonder" I think is the title. I read a paraphrase of it in Modern Drummer years ago.