Travel Thread

vaportrailer

Your hotel's website has this featured. It looks tasty...like ice cream and tea with mint leaves. Can you tell me what it is?

69089548.jpg

Every Asian restaurant around here serves green tea ice cream. I wonder if this is just the real deal version of that?

Well, Japan is obviously drowning in a world of green tea. (That's not a bad thing). Green tea ice cream, pudding, rice snacks, cakes, crackers, bread, muffins, Kit-Kats, etc. You'll easily find green tea anything anywhere in East Asia.

• Like 1

I'm staying at a place called Reasmey Chenich Hotel. The superior room with balcony, and something between a large bathtub and a plunge pool on said balcony for 30/night. Kinda cool, but definitely not 4 stars! Wait, I could and should be lying about all of this. Yes, I'm a high roller! Wait, that's kind of true...

Is this the plunge pool thingy...?

photo0jpg.jpg

That is it exactly! It's slowly filling up as I type this. Slowly. About a 3-4 hour operation. What to do what to do...

• Like 3

I'm staying at a place called Reasmey Chenich Hotel. The superior room with balcony, and something between a large bathtub and a plunge pool on said balcony for 30/night. Kinda cool, but definitely not 4 stars! Wait, I could and should be lying about all of this. Yes, I'm a high roller! Wait, that's kind of true...

photo0jpg.jpg

That is it exactly! It's slowly filling up as I type this. Slowly. About a 3-4 hour operation. What to do what to do...

Is it that big or is the water just that slow?
  • Like 1

Your hotel's website has this featured. It looks tasty...like ice cream and tea with mint leaves. Can you tell me what it is?

69089548.jpg

Great guess, Goose! (Oh the alliteration) I noticed that drink as well. The coffee shop appears to be in a state of disuse, and I couldn't find a menu, but I think you pretty much have it: ice cream, mint leaves, most likely green tea powder, and those slimy little seeds that I can't remember the name of right now. They're very popular in drinks here, makes them more healthy, or at least increases the slime factor. Like little seeds covered with sweet slimy goop. Not my cup of green tea! If I find out any more about this elusive beverage, I'll let you know! Had a terrific mango smoothie with dinner last night. Perfect!

• Like 1

You guys are making me want to travel to Asia now. I think I would be too scared too do it though unless I was going with someone who knew the culture and language.

My luck i would end up in front a firing squad because I blew my nose if public or something like that.

Well I'm here for a few more weeks, so come on over! It will be a time to forget! :LOL:

It's actually pretty cool here as far as being killed for nose-blowing. You'd have to be a real a$$hole to get a rise out of the people here, as they're used to fairly outlandish and borderline offensive tourist behaviour.

Just keep your short-shorts and shirtlessness to the hotel room, and you'll be okay! And don't blow your nose...

• Like 1

photo0jpg.jpg

Is it that big or is the water just that slow?

It is both big and somewhat slow. Double faucet action! It's about 8 feet long and 2.5/3 feet deep.

This post could be taken wildly out of context. :D

You guys are making me want to travel to Asia now. I think I would be too scared too do it though unless I was going with someone who knew the culture and language.

My luck i would end up in front a firing squad because I blew my nose if public or something like that.

You should go especially now when you're relatively young and physically capable. (Not that there aren't some old western slobs lumbering about Asia...like me! ) :P

You don't need any of the languages to travel Southeast Asia. I didn't. It helps of course but it's absolutely unnecessary.

In Saigon a taxi driver did threaten to kill my friend but when we bumped into him a few days later my friend wasn't stabbed or shot so that's good. :P And then there was the first time I went to Saigon and the motorcycle taxi guys we had used earlier threw rocks in our general area. But we weren't hit and they were thrown just to scare the shit out of us. It did...but mostly it just pissed us off.

Still, those two incidents could've been our faults ((I won't get into the details)) in their eyes. Truly, it was just a misunderstanding and nothing actually came of those intimidations ((a seemingly Asian experience I think. That is, look menacing but don't actually do anything; you know, it's about saving face out here)).

Suggestion: Go to Asia. Without a doubt. :yes:

Oh, and don't do drugs in Malaysia. The landing card states that possession of illegal drugs is punishable by death. :yes: Interesting city Kuala Lumpur but yeah I passed on the spliffs. :P

• Like 1

Well I'm here for a few more weeks, so come on over! It will be a time to forget! :LOL:

It's actually pretty cool here as far as being killed for nose-blowing. You'd have to be a real a$$hole to get a rise out of the people here, as they're used to fairly outlandish and borderline offensive tourist behaviour.

Just keep your short-shorts and shirtlessness to the hotel room, and you'll be okay! And don't blow your nose...

:yes:

Despite my previous post, I agree with all of that. An important thing to note regarding my last post is that the folks who I had those encounters with were not the typical, run-of-the-mill dudes. AND, as I said in that post, both incidents were misunderstandings. ALSO, one of my travel companions was of the surly sort so that explains one of the incidents. :LOL:

• Like 1

69089548.jpg

Just saw it advertised on a faded banner downstairs. It's a "mint shake". Maybe basil seeds in there?

• Like 1

You should go especially now when you're relatively young and physically capable. (Not that there aren't some old western slobs lumbering about Asia...like me! ) :P

You don't need any of the languages to travel Southeast Asia. I didn't. It helps of course but it's absolutely unnecessary.

In Saigon a taxi driver did threaten to kill my friend but when we bumped into him a few days later my friend wasn't stabbed or shot so that's good. :P And then there was the first time I went to Saigon and the motorcycle taxi guys we had used earlier threw rocks in our general area. But we weren't hit and they were thrown just to scare the shit out of us. It did...but mostly it just pissed us off.

Still, those two incidents could've been our faults ((I won't get into the details)) in their eyes. Truly, it was just a misunderstanding and nothing actually came of those intimidations ((a seemingly Asian experience I think. That is, look menacing but don't actually do anything; you know, it's about saving face out here)).

Oh, and don't do drugs in Malaysia. The landing card states that possession of illegal drugs is punishable by death. :yes: Interesting city Kuala Lumpur but yeah I passed on the spliffs. :P

Ran into a mob in Bali one night, returning to the hotel. Couple dozen guys with sticks and pieces of bamboo. Turned out someone broke into a house and stole some things, and the mob was out looking for a Javanese guy. It was pretty intense and very surreal.

Also in Bali years later, a guy pulled up next to me on a motorcycle and proceeded can the usual interrogation. "where you from? Where you go?", before demanding money. I laughed at him and he growled at me, which made me laugh even harder. The town this happened in is well known for its mental hospital btw. Good thing he didn't bite me, as I didn't have my rabies shots.

• Like 1

Ran into a mob in Bali one night, returning to the hotel. Couple dozen guys with sticks and pieces of bamboo. Turned out someone broke into a house and stole some things, and the mob was out looking for a Javanese guy. It was pretty intense and very surreal.

Also in Bali years later, a guy pulled up next to me on a motorcycle and proceeded can the usual interrogation. "where you from? Where you go?", before demanding money. I laughed at him and he growled at me, which made me laugh even harder. The town this happened in is well known for its mental hospital btw. Good thing he didn't bite me, as I didn't have my rabies shots.

I'm still a little upset that you laughed at me. :P

• Like 2

I'm still a little upset that you laughed at me. :P

Your growl was so cute and unexpected and non-threatening, that I had no choice. Next time I'll feign fear, honest.

You guys aren't instilling me with a great deal of confidence.

It took 8 pages of stories and photos (some from my personal trips and some internetted) to FINALLY get to something negative. And even in these (somewhat) negative incidents, we're both saying they weren't so bad and essentially non-events.

Lumpinee Boxing Stadium, Bangkok. I don't think i've mentioned it before but Muay Thai is one experience that really defines "exotic" for me. The rituals before the match, the live traditional instruments being played DURING the match and influencing the pacing & fighters, the betting actively going on IN the stands, and of course the intensity at which the fighters compete all comprise the Muay Thai experience. Even when I was walking down to my ringside seats (which were cheap considering what you're getting IMHO), you could see the fighters prepping for their matches. That's a pretty cool thing that we westerners would probably never get to see...unless we're actually there.

• Like 2

A few of my favorite Southeast Asia trip pics (these were likely on TRF about a decade back)...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Vietnam/DH000021_3.jpg

In the back of a canoe on a canal connected to the Mekong

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Vietnam/DH000022_2.jpg

Cao Dai temple Vietnam

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Cambodia/karaokeandnam151.jpg

Ta Prohm in Angkor...the jungle is literally swallowing the temple; note the little kid for size comparison

• Like 3

Besides, I have a trip to Alaska coming up in a month so no more trips for me until fall probably.

Travel anywhere involves some risk and minor discomforts. The payoffs here are incredible though, and well worth every second of the hellishly long flight!

That's cool about Alaska. What, may I ask, is taking you there? Is it a place that you've always wanted to go? Go on, spill the beans! Most importantly, how will you blow your nose there? Won't the grizzly bears, eagles, or fur-trappers take it right off your face, given the chance? :P :LOL:

• Like 1

Besides, I have a trip to Alaska coming up in a month so no more trips for me until fall probably.

Travel anywhere involves some risk and minor discomforts. The payoffs here are incredible though, and well worth every second of the hellishly long flight!

That's cool about Alaska. What, may I ask, is taking you there? Is it a place that you've always wanted to go? Go on, spill the beans! Most importantly, how will you blow your nose there? Won't the grizzly bears, eagles, or fur-trappers take it right off your face, given the chance? :P :LOL:

Ouch. Taking a beating here.

Yes Alaska is some place I have wanted to go for a long time. I find that animals generally are not as nasty and terrible as people so I think I will be okay with the eagles and bears. The fur trappers though..............

I am just not an experienced traveler. Before I went to Ireland last year I had never really been anywhere and even that trip, while exciting, was a bit nerve wracking. I just didn't know what to expect. I had fun, now I want to do more. SE Asia will probably have to wait. If I get the nerve up to take a flight that long I will probably go to New Zealand or Australia first.

• Like 2

Yes Alaska is some place I have wanted to go for a long time. I find that animals generally are not as nasty and terrible as people so I think I will be okay with the eagles and bears. The fur trappers though..............

I am just not an experienced traveler. Before I went to Ireland last year I had never really been anywhere and even that trip, while exciting, was a bit nerve wracking. I just didn't know what to expect. I had fun, now I want to do more. SE Asia will probably have to wait. If I get the nerve up to take a flight that long I will probably go to New Zealand or Australia first.

Nah man, you're not taking a beating. You're getting encouragement.

Experienced travelers didn't start out experienced. Go. Travel. But don't stop before your reach Asia. Don't let not knowing what to expect stop you. :cheers:

• Like 1

No, no beatings here, just gentle ribbings!

My first trip outside of Canada, I went to Japan for 5 or so days, and then to Thailand for a little less than two weeks.

My mind was blown, and I totally enjoyed being in an "alien culture". I also totally enjoyed being warm in December, which had never happened to me before! :LOL:

That totally hooked me on travel, despite the costs, saving money and vacation days, etc etc. 20 years later, I've seen a fair bit of SEA, but with still plenty more to see. Would love to get to Myanmar sooner than later! And see more of Sumatra, and Java, and Malaysia and and and...

Just got back to Phnom Penh. Hotel room smells like cigarettes, so I'm not worried about puffing a reefer or two (or three) in here, although I prefer hanging out on the balcony and smoking.

Spent four days in the coastal city of Sihanoukville, with 2 days spent in the thick of things, and then 2 more spent outside of town.

Had a couple of nice floats in the sea, and consumed many delicious BBQ squid.

So after last night's squid-fest, I thought I'd get a happy shake to go ("please make it very happy" I asked) and take a little tuktuk tour of the city. About 30 minutes into the tour, things started to get shiny, and my thoughts turned into bad Beat poetry, then I caught myself with a big stupid grin on my face. Got dropped off at bungalow and thought "I'll send email, check TRF, write in my travel journal...". Nope. Legs got wobbly as soon as I got in the door. Arranged my carcass on a pile of pillows on the couch and valiantly pointed the remote at the tv, remembering to click it every once in a while. I was a very baked little cake. I knew the shake was gonna be a good one because it was green! Coconut shakes, even happy ones, usually aren't green. :)

Woke up very groggy this morning, and probably still stoned. Had noodles, coffee, dip in the sea and a nice reefer, and that put me right again.

What a shake! :smoke:

Passed this sign on the drive today (I have no idea what it means. It was on a factory.):

M's PIG : genetic can trust

:LOL:

• Like 2

Here's what comes up on a search of Sihanoukville...

ph-sihanoukville-cambodia.jpg

http://karunacambodia.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Sihanoukville-1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DF9gmU3.jpg

Keep your trunks on!

• Like 2

Passed this sign on the drive today (I have no idea what it means. It was on a factory.):

M's PIG : genetic can trust

:LOL:

I bet it's a pig factory/farm where they raise them. The "genetic can trust" I bet is in reference to raising the best pigs for quality meat.

All I can say is that since I see and hear a lot of Japanese English, I've learned to guess from very little or more often odd wordage :LOL:

One of my favorite sentences that one of my past (adult) students of English said to me years ago was this:

"10 years ago my wife was 50 kilograms. Now she's DANGEROUS!"

What he meant was...

10 years ago my wife was cute, just 50 kg. But now she's much heavier. :LOL:

Learning another language isn't easy but it certainly can be fun at times.

That student and I laughed together when I told him "a more natural way" to say what he really wanted [in the spoiler tag]

• Like 2

Here's what comes up on a search of Sihanoukville...

ph-sihanoukville-cambodia.jpg

http://karunacambodia.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Sihanoukville-1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DF9gmU3.jpg

Keep your trunks on!

I wonder why vaportrailer was lying on his stomach, naked, and tied up on the beach. :unsure:

• Like 1