Jaco: Bass players- sell me on this guy

Del_Duio

If someone could post something from Jaco that is instantly recognizable as Jaco Pastorius , I wanna hear it

I'm not talking songs you know as Jaco, I want to hear what this guy did that is as unique to him as what Eddie did - as of now, I just haven't heard it

This?

• Like 1

And as for Steve Morse

Eddie will never have to scan the washed up band want ads to join the likes of Deep Purple or Kansas

Good guitarist, but he's not in the discussion with Eddie

Wow. I'm sorry that's all I got.

Morse is good, and saying he's not in Eddie's league is not a knock on him

If Steve Morse were never born, we miss a great guitar player, but not much else changes

If Eddie is never born, that changes everything

I'm not simply talking chops - I am talking impact and innovation

If someone could post something from Jaco that is instantly recognizable as Jaco Pastorius , I wanna hear it

I'm not talking songs you know as Jaco, I want to hear what this guy did that is as unique to him as what Eddie did - as of now, I just haven't heard it

This?

I'm just leaving work now, and I am looking forward to this later tonight thru proper speakers ( and with a little poached salmon in front of me )

This?

Or this.

This?

Or this.

This is excellent bass, and it is not surprising to me because I have always thought of Jaco to be a great player ..

But this is not the "arrival from another planet" stuff that Eddie unleashed on the music world in 1978 . .

Eddie created a craze of guys taking Strats and putting humbuckers in them ... Floyd Rose and his now universally revered tremolo system was a direct result of Eddie ..

When Van Halen opened for Black Sabbath in 1978, by all accounts Van Halen blew them off the stage, setting Ozzy up to leave the band and seek out an American guitarist because of what he saw with Eddie ..

Eddie's impact goes on and on and on

I don't want to come across as anti-Jaco, but you cannot say he had the impact of Eddie Van Halen

To be fair, only a few guys in history have

I think there is a better argument for Stanley Clarke being the Van Halen of bass ..

and IMHO, Stanley smokes Jaco as a bass player and presence in whatever situation he was involved in

This?

Or this.

This is excellent bass, and it is not surprising to me because I have always thought of Jaco to be a great player ..

But this is not the "arrival from another planet" stuff that Eddie unleashed on the music world in 1978 . .

Eddie created a craze of guys taking Strats and putting humbuckers in them ... Floyd Rose and his now universally revered tremolo system was a direct result of Eddie ..

When Van Halen opened for Black Sabbath in 1978, by all accounts Van Halen blew them off the stage, setting Ozzy up to leave the band and seek out an American guitarist because of what he saw with Eddie ..

I don't want to come across as anti-Jaco, but you cannot say he had the impact of Eddie Van Halen

I think there is a better argument for Stanley Clarke being the Van Halen of bass ..

and IMHO, Stanley smokes Jaco as a bass player and presence in whatever situation he was involved in

You are really hung up on that Van Halen analogy.

• Like 1

This?

Or this.

Ok. So you're looking for flash and standout soloing? That's only one dimension of Jaco.

How about this then?

I doubt you'll want to watch the whole thing (although I think it's a great show) but start at about 25 minutes in.

Eddie had a huge impact, but it was limited to what I like to call the Eddie Trunk crowd, it wasn't across the board like Jaco or maybe Hendrix.

Eddie was also doing his thing in the context of a rock band trying to become famous.and the circumstances (exposure) that come with that.

Stanley Clarke is amazing in his own right. I'd be interested in what he would have to say about Jaco.

Anyway, I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Like 1

I find the little use for the competitive comparisons of musicians...who's more influential, who's better, etc. To me either their talent and playing deserves respect or it doesn't. I have mad respect for the jazz greats and I put Jaco in that category. I admit the only Jaco material I own is with is when he played with Pat Metheny back in the 70s. Awesome bass lines and very interesting to listen to.

Jaco was a great, great artist and let's leave it at that.

• Like 3

I find the little use for the competitive comparisons of musicians...who's more influential, who's better, etc. To me either their talent and playing deserves respect or it doesn't. I have mad respect for the jazz greats and I put Jaco in that category. I admit the only Jaco material I own is with is when he played with Pat Metheny back in the 70s. Awesome bass lines and very interesting to listen to.

:goodone:

Everything here makes sense

Jaco was a great artist, and his legacy will live on forever

But sometimes it's fun to let the personal opinions fly - there's no right or wrong with those either

I mean, we are talking about music here, and a lot of us are musicians - so ya get a bunch of musicians together and talking, and it would be dull without some spirited debate ... Music touches a very emotional spot in people - so this is only natural ...

How many guitar players does it take to change a lightbulb ??

10 ... One to actually change it, and nine to stand around and say "I could do it better"

• Like 1

This?

Or this.

Ok. So you're looking for flash and standout soloing? That's only one dimension of Jaco.

How about this then?

I doubt you'll want to watch the whole thing (although I think it's a great show) but start at about 25 minutes in.

Eddie had a huge impact, but it was limited to what I like to call the Eddie Trunk crowd, it wasn't across the board like Jaco or maybe Hendrix.

Eddie was also doing his thing in the context of a rock band trying to become famous.and the circumstances (exposure) that come with that.

Stanley Clarke is amazing in his own right. I'd be interested in what he would have to say about Jaco.

I love Pat Metheny, and the music with Joni Mitchell and Jaco and Lyle Mays is great . .

Because of my Dad's love for music - actually, both my parents, but my Dad was more into the jazz, fusion and bossa nova - but we went to see Pat Metheny probably a dozen times in the 80s ... One time in Princeton, we went to both the early and late shows ..

I remember talking to Steve Rodby that night - this was probably '81 or '82, so I was like 14 and he was really nice - he stood there talking and talking .... Offramp was mind blowing the first time I saw him play it ..

It was a show just like this .... It was jazz, but it also reminded me of something off Close To The Edge, which I loved

• Like 2

This?

Or this.

How about this then?

I love Pat Metheny, and the music with Joni Mitchell and Jaco and Lyle Mays is great . .

Because of my Dad's love for music - actually, both my parents, but my Dad was more into the jazz, fusion and bossa nova - but we went to see Pat Metheny probably a dozen times in the 80s ... One time in Princeton, we went to both the early and late shows ..

I remember talking to Steve Rodby that night - this was probably '81 or '82, so I was like 14 and he was really nice - he stood there talking and talking .... Offramp was mind blowing the first time I saw him play it ..

It was a show just like this .... It was jazz, but it also reminded me of something off Close To The Edge, which I loved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGox7eO_aCc

ok what time signature was that in? :blink: :huh: :LOL: Pat's Orchestrion Project is amazing as well. One man band with every other instrument on programmed triggers. Hope you don't need to reboot something in the middle of a song.

• Like 1

i agree with that for the most part. My comments were for the limited purpose of influence (Since it's a little more measurable than other qualities). I'm a music fan (save for a few genres) and I'm always on the side of meaningful discussion.

• Like 1

i agree with that for the most part. My comments were for the limited purpose of influence (Since it's a little more measurable than other qualities). I'm a music fan (save for a few genres) and I'm always on the side of meaningful discussion.

I love talking music, whether it be in agreement or not ... Sometimes differing opinions make a discussion more interesting, as long as the conversation remains civil - which it usually does here .

All this Jaco talk has made me go back and revisit the old Pat Metheny albums

• Like 1