Star Trek Tuesday: A Weekly Episode Review.

KenJennings

I really miss having Star Trek conventions to go to. I used to go to several year and it was always a lot of fun, especially if it was put on by a local group.

Last one I went to was Trek's 48th anniversary and was so sure it'd roll around for the 50th but no dice. I'm really surprised there aren't way more stops this year with it being the 50th and all. In the 90s there were tons of conventions- IIRC even more than 1 in the same city a year (but that could've also been a reg sci-fi convention with some Trek guests, I can't remember).

Off the top, I've seen:

(from the 90s)

Brent Spiner

Denise Crosby

Shatner / Nimoy combo (especially awesome, in retrospect)

Jeri Ryan

Alexander Siddig

Marina Siritis

Chase Masterson

(couple years ago)

Robert O'Reily

J.G. Hertzler

Max Grodénchik

Aaron Eisenberg

Nana Visitor

Terry Farrell

Tim Russ

Robert Picardo

Garrett Wang

John Billingsley

Anthony Montgomery

Dominic Keating

Connor Trinneer

---

Twice Avery Brooks was supposed to be at one I was going to, and both times he had to cancel at the last minute.

You were lucky to see Shatner and Nimoy, I never got to see them. Probably my favorite convention was at LaGrange Con in Cleveland when I saw Patrick Stewart. He was so sweet and exuded so much testosterone the women in the audience were panting. :LOL: l'm glad I did since he quit doing conventions not long after that. Second favorite in retrospect was meeting Majel Barrett Roddenberry she and John de Lancie did a rendition of a scene from the book Q-In-Law that was hilarious. Other than that, I've seen:

Jimmy Doohan

George Takei

Walter Koenig

Nichelle Nichols

Grace Lee Whitney

Marina Sirtis

Jonathan Frakes

Brent Spiner

Gates McFadden

Denise Crosby

John de Lancie

Michael Dorn

LeVar Burton

Armin Shimerman

Alexander Siddig

Kate Mulgrew

Robert Duncan McNeill

Robert Picardo

Brian Thompson

Tony Todd

Etc.

Oh how embarrassing I totally forgot that Walter Koenig was at that 2014 convention too XD

Your list of people is amazing! So that's why Patrick Stewart never attends these anymore, he retired?? That really sucks! It would explain why he was the only one missing from the big TNG reunion convention they had here a couple years back :( I'd probably fall over and die while waiting in line to meet him actually hahaha.

Second on your list I'd like to see would be Armin for sure. Quark's probably my favorite DS9 character, in retrospect. And you saw Q too! Holy shit that's great!

Funny story about the Shatner / Nimoy show: They were fielding questions from the audience, who for the most part were sitting in folding chairs, instead of taking turns from both sides of the auditorium via podium lines. Anyhow so Shatner mentions that Nimoy is from Cambridge MA and they start saying "horse" with a super Boston accent ("HAASE! HAASE!")

Then one... um, let's say SKINNILY-CHALLENGED gent stands up to ask a question and before the guy asks his question I shit you not Shatner goes "WHOAH! You don't miss a lot of meals!!" I was dying it was so awesome ROFL. Half the joint was shocked of course and it's not very PC at all but what a legend.

:LOL: That's awful for him to say but then he's never been known for holding back. I followed him for a while on Twitter but he posts so much it kind of got annoying.

Not sure exactly why Patrick Stewart quit doing conventions. I heard different reasons but I would guess something must have scared him off. People can be pretty intense though I didn't see anything over the top at the one I went to.

I actually saw John de Lancie several times. He was alway funny and a good guest. Same with Marina Sirtis. She did quite a few conventions and was always funny as well. She always had lots of stories to tell about things that happened behind the scenes.

I have sadly never met anyone from Star Trek.

When I was about 6, I wrote a fan letter to Brent Spiner because Data was my hero at the time. It took him over 5 years to respond, but he did get back to me with an autographed photo from the production of Insurrection.

• Like 1

When I was about 6, I wrote a fan letter to Brent Spiner because Data was my hero at the time. It took him over 5 years to respond, but he did get back to me with an autographed photo from the production of Insurrection.

Brent was freaked about going to conventions for a long time. I'm glad he finally got over it. That's cool that you did finally get something.

• Like 1

Brent was freaked about going to conventions for a long time. I'm glad he finally got over it. That's cool that you did finally get something.

He was at the first convention I ever went to, in the Summer of '95.

Some woman from the audience gave him- get this- a painting of Data and a friggin' leather jacket!!

Holy crap, that's what I call fringe benefits!

• Like 1

While waiting in line to take my picture with Gowron and Martok it was insanity and honestly it happened so fast I don't even really remember what the hell happened but I do have the picture to prove that it did.

BUT

While waiting in line to take my picture with Nana and Terry I was really nervous, it was so surreal. I ate a whole box of Altoids lol. I remember saying to Nana something like 'Thank you so much for coming!' (she filled in last minute for Avery Brooks) and to both of them something like 'DS9 is my favorite show and you guys are a big reason why!'. It's funny the stupid things people say when they meet famous TV heroes, or at least that's how it is for me.

And they put their arms around me a bit for the picture! Ooh La La and all that :)

Review Four: 8/23/16

Star Trek Enterprise, Season 1, Episode 16: Shuttlepod One

tumblr_static__640_v2.jpg

"To Sub-Commander T'Pol."

"Awfully nice!"

Being a prequel, Star Trek Enterprise faced an immediate uphill battle as franchise fatigue had set in strongly toward the end of Voyager. Having just said goodbye to the beloved TNG crew, fans needed Enterprise to start getting good. About half way through the first season, the bright spots seemed few and far between as stiff actors struggled with their characters, and chemistry still seemed a ways down the line. That's when we got a little taste of what Enterprise could be.

Shuttlepod One is just a classic "deserted at sea" story, but it's so much more in terms of characterization and series development. It is significant as the first episode in Star Trek history to feature no guest or support cast whatsoever. It also contains no original sets or unique locations. So simple, the premise of this episode, that it could easily be performed live on stage.

An enduring theme throughout the Star Trek franchise is enduring brotherhood; highlighting the special relationship of trusted commrades. Kirk and McCoy, Geordie and Data, O'Brien and Bashir, Paris and Kim- every Star Trek series has had one male friendship that goes beyond the pips on their collar or the stripes on their sleeve. Enterprise was no exception, as Shuttlepod One wonderfully develops the Tucker/Reid friendship.

Very few Star Trek episodes give you such a stunning glimpse into just who these characters are. Both actors fall into their roles wonderfully as the very stationary, very isolated plot never seems to lull. It's surprising that a show about two guys trapped in a tin can can keep you so enthralled; but it really never fails. As these two colleagues start their journey, they seem to be an odd couple of sorts. Tucker: the easy-going, brash, naive American idealist; and Reid: the disciplined, reserved, cynical British realist. As the personalities clash, you begin to understand the motive behind their actions and attitudes more; and we even see the roles start to reverse as the situation develops, and as a bottle of bourbon dwindles down.

This is a wonderful example of an episode that proves "less is more". A little more than a two man script, a single set, and a whole lot of character development can easily produce more thought-provoking and intelligent storytelling than an extravagant, flourished budget hog. This was probably only the first or second truly exceptional episode of Enterprise, and while the series did continue to improve, it stands out as the highlight of Season One. Stunning what can be achieved by two dudes in life raft.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

^^ Some of the very best Trek episodes were bottle shows. ^^

I watched 5 episodes of VOY last night that I've never seen before and I liked them all (Scorpion 1 & 2, Hope & Fear, Night, and Living Witness). What's this world coming to??

Anyhow as much crap as Sisko got for using a WMD on an entire Marquis planet, Janeway almost always destroys ships and etc instead of just disabling them. The best so far was in "Night" against a Malon freighter: "Time to take out the garbage!" HAHAHAHA!

Janeway is pretty awesome lol, she's almost bipolar. Or that could be the inconsistent writing.

I watched Enterprise season one, episode 4, Strange New World. It felt like a TOS. Early on my wife chuckled aboot killer spores being ejected by flowers. It was entertaining in its nostalgic feel.
  • Like 1

Review Five: 8/30/16 8/31/16

Star Trek The Next Generation, Season 3, Episode 7: The Enemy

http://www.missionlogpodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/150.jpg

"I never lie when I've got sand in my shoes, Commodore."

On a muddy, windswept planet at the edge of Federation space, we find our heroes searching for the source of a distress call. The Enemy is a very dense, very thorough episode that wastes no time on the niceties that Trek so often enjoys. Instead, it features a few very closely knit, very parallel plotlines that each touch on different perspectives of the same theme. Masterfully constructed, it's a marvel that this episode was squeezed into 44 minutes of television airtime. When I hear people construct their lists of favorite TNG episodes, I'm always surprised that this one gets forgotten. I've nary heard a bad word spoken about it, but I think it deserves a place among the finest TNG episodes. In this episode the TNG special effects team did a great job constructing the environment of Galorndon Core. Their use of wind, water and lightning effects actually makes you believe that this warehouselike indoor studio is a terrifying alien planet. Because of this skillful setup, the planet serves as an adversary as much as the Romulans do. These late 80s special effects are simply terrific. But it's here on Galorndon Core that our away team loses contact with one of it's own. After falling through a fissure in a rock structure, Geordie is separated from the group. A narrow window in the planet's overbearing storms force Riker and Worf, with an injured Romulan crash survivor in tow, to leave him behind.

Back on the Enterprise, the Romulan crash survivor is in grim condition. An intricately woven set of circumstances requires Picard to decide between continuing their search for Geordie and risking the life of the enemy, by delaying a rendezvous with a Romulan Warbird at the Neutral Zone border. With so many variables in play, it would be easy for this episode to become far fetched, chaotic, and vulnerable to plot holes and oversight. It doesn't. Instead, we see each character struggle with tough decisions, faced with scenarios that offer no obvious positive outcome. Soon enough, Crusher discovered a possible solution in Lieutennant Worf, who's blood would be the only compatible transfusion for the dying Romulan. To Worf, this notion is offensive. We learn a lot about his bitterness toward the Romulan people, as the episode explores themes of racism and retribution in the aftermath of war in typical Star Trek fashion. Worf's personal struggle with the decision is highlighted by counsel from each of his colleagues one by one, broadening the perspective of the situation. What's really interesting about Worf's struggle is that Picard does not ever order Worf to comply with the procedure. Even on the precipice of war, where I think he would've been easily excused to order the procedure, Picard refuses. He pleads with Worf to comply, but ultimately allows the Klingon to make his own decision, even though the consequences could be unfathomable. I think this is a wonderful acknowledgment of Picard's respect for individual rights over the needs of the many; almost calling back to the lessons learned in Season 2's The Measure of a Man. You can see that Worf is torn. As stoically and brutally as he carries himself, there is a definite sense of conflict. In the end, I believe that it is the direct exchange he has with the Romulan himself that cements his final decision.

Meanwhile on Galorndon Core, Geordie is fighting for his life against a planet that is slowly irradiating him to death. He uses some serious MacGyver skills to extract himself from the rock fissure that traps him. Using the wet sand around him, he forms a mold, uses his phaser to melt some metal fragments, and molds two climbing spikes. This is the kind of touch I love to see, as it really is plausible given the tools at hand. After freeing himself, Geordie uses his VISOR's unique visual spectrum to track the location of the Enterprise's homing beacon. But before he can get there, a second Romulan crash survivor attacks him, holding him as a prisoner. Geordie's character really shines, as his sincerity and constancy slowly deescalates the tension between he and the enemy. It is a wonderful contrast to Worf, who in the comfort of the Enterprise above, views the enemy as an irreconcilable foe; while Geordie, in the hellish environment of Galorndon Core, views the Enemy as an ally to win over, so that cooperation can save them both. The Romulan officer, Centurion Bochra, offers a distinct view into Romulan culture; highlighting the effects of a lifetime of propaganda and presumption.

Ultimately, the episode is resolved after a final showdown between the Enterprise and Romulan Warbird. Captain Picard and Ambassador Tomalok square off, and in the high stakes situation, neither wants to make their move. Picard is forced to make a gesture of trust, risking the Enterprise and risking total war, to diffuse the tense situation. Each officer in this episode, whether Picard, LaForge or Worf is forced to confront their own ideas of who the enemy is, and eventually makes their own, very disparate conclusions. The episode is so fundamentally Star Trek in this regard, it explores the attitudes we carry in the wake of war, distrust and disdain; and it seeks to have us look beyond our own individual perceptions, and to imagine the scenarios it would take to break those molds. The Enemy is one of my all time favorite Star Trek episodes for this reason. Thought provoking, thrilling, excellent special effects, and tight writing. One of the best.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 3

Love Love LOVE that episode!!!

One of my very favorites of TNG, almost all of S3 is excellent. I loved how Picard didn't force Worf to give that dying P'Tagh his blood too. I totally didn't expect that would happen either. I find the scene where Geordi makes those metal stakes to climb out of the pit really interesting too. Like someone took more than 5 minutes to come up with the science behind it.

• Like 2

I just watched 'the devil in the dark' from the original series. It's the episode where they encounter the silicone based creature on a mining planet. The scene where Spock melds with the creature is what made me a fan as a kid and it still holds up. Nimoy is an underrated artist. The writing, dialog and effects are all excellent for the period.

BBC America is currently marathoning the original series.

• Like 3

Review Five: 8/30/16 8/31/16

Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Season 7, Episode 6: Treachery, Faith and the Great River.

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/9426/sYspkS.png

There are millions upon millions of worlds in the universe, each one filled with too much of one thing and not enough of another. And the Great Continuum flows through them all, like a mighty river, from 'have' to 'want' and back again. And if we navigate the continuum with skill and grace, our ship will be filled with everything our hearts desire.

Never did Star Trek speak to me so sussinctly.

To those of you who know me from SOCN, you know that there's almost a faith... a certainty in my belief that things just DO work out. This episiode confronts that.

Don't get me wrong, it's all the scrawlings of nutty Hollywood writers, but it taps on something that I do believe in... that ultimately, we all just suffer from an imbalance of continuum, and that if we all just let things find equilibrium, we'd find peace in the process. But that's faith, God, Humanity, Profit... the Founders... it's all Faith. We all find it somewhere.

The A-Story here surrounds Weyoun-6... a clone of the Vorta administrator that we all love to hate so much. This clone isn't so bad. He's a good guy. He sees the flaw in the founders, but loves them all the same. He just sees the Odo is the one founder with the notions of peace in mind. Weyoun-7, his adversary, sees things through an exact mirror image. The founders around right, but he loves Odo all the same. This dichotomy is important. You have two clones.... two exactly idenitcal people, seeing the exact mirror image of eachother.

It's curious that two people can represent the same viewpoint, but defend the opposite ideals. This is the importance of Star Trek. You need to look at yourself on both sides.

I know if you haven't seen the episode, you're like "wait... what." and that's understandable. This episode comes in the midsts of a great war. So many moving pieces to digest. DS9 is some of the best of Star Trek, but you damn near need a doctorate to understand it. I'm sorry if you're not up to speed.

Ultimately this episode reaches its conclusion with Weyoun-6 sacrificing himself so that Odo may live... and Weyoun 7 calling off the attack for the same reason. Both adversaries ultimately drawn by the mirror image of the same faith...

...but the B-story shouldn't be overlooked. Back on DS9, Chief O'Brien has absolutely NO faith. Nog, fresh from the Academy, continues to confidently promise miracles. as the career focused Chief O'Brien sees every modicum of his credibility laid on the line, while the Ferengi ensign risks it all... as the faithless Chief sees no hope, the naive, hopeful Ferengie slowly works the problems out, and in the end, he delievers a miracle hail mary solution that works for everyone. For the faithles, the great river provides.

Meanwhile, Weyoun 6 sacrifices himself, dying a paintul death. But he sees the smiling blessing of his God in his last moments.

You have to wonder what the message of this episode really is. It gives no mawkish trunk to faith... yet the faithful find the truest satisfaction in their existence. Meanwhile, the faithless doubting Thomas is ultimately redeemed.

There's so much in this episode beyond it's intricate theme... beautiful CGI for its era, great space battles... deep stories. This is primo DS9.

Edited by KenJennings

Just watched Amok Time with the Lad. Classic.

Sweet. Love to hear about young people exposed to the classics! Make sure to show him "Devil in the Dark!"

Oh yeah!

Just watched Amok Time with the Lad. Classic.

Sweet. Love to hear about young people exposed to the classics! Make sure to show him "Devil in the Dark!"

Oh yeah!

Watching it now. So good!

"The Apple" today, where the crew lands on a sinister Garden of Eden.

Yesterday was the alternative universe episode with evil goatee-wearing Spock.

Great stuff.

• Like 1