I Still Think Neil's 1984 "GUP" Kit Is The Best! Then Again Maybe The "Presto" Kit!

RUSHHEAD666

Watching the shows on Periscope, I was eager to hear the R40 kits in person.... They sounded as bad in person as on the cheap videos sound... Watched my p/g bootleg the other night... The Red Tamas sounded glorious, even with that aweful sound of the boot..... My drumkit is essentially the red Tamas, refinished several times, and set up like Neil's current kit... I wouldn't trade them for one of his DW kits, 1500 year old log or not..... Actually, seeing the hockey kit, my first reaction was "Wow! Those toms are so TINY!!" I used to prefer the ESL kit (My kit was originally Mahogany), but now the reds are pretty much on top... Red Tamas, the ESL kit (No particular order) and the Roll The Bones kit make up my top 3.

Watching Neil play on the second kit sounded like he was playing in a Vegas lounge with a plexiglass barrier placed in front of the kit. Sounded muddled and seemed the volume of the toms were turned down too low!

I didn't like the gray shells either. The kit was cool but it seemed awkward? Was it set up like that for ergonomics?

I don't follow. It was set up like his old kits. Am I missing something?

Shit, this is the spoiler section right? I better not explain anything. Did I ruin something for you?

I was referring to the top high toms on Neil's left. It just looked different to me that's all.

Watching the shows on Periscope, I was eager to hear the R40 kits in person.... They sounded as bad in person as on the cheap videos sound... Watched my p/g bootleg the other night... The Red Tamas sounded glorious, even with that aweful sound of the boot..... My drumkit is essentially the red Tamas, refinished several times, and set up like Neil's current kit... I wouldn't trade them for one of his DW kits, 1500 year old log or not..... Actually, seeing the hockey kit, my first reaction was "Wow! Those toms are so TINY!!" I used to prefer the ESL kit (My kit was originally Mahogany), but now the reds are pretty much on top... Red Tamas, the ESL kit (No particular order) and the Roll The Bones kit make up my top 3.

Watching Neil play on the second kit sounded like he was playing in a Vegas lounge with a plexiglass barrier placed in front of the kit. Sounded muddled and seemed the volume of the toms were turned down too low!

I didn't like the gray shells either. The kit was cool but it seemed awkward? Was it set up like that for ergonomics?

Shit, this is the spoiler section right? I better not explain anything. Did I ruin something for you?

I was referring to the top high toms on Neil's left. It just looked different to me that's all.

I'm sorry guys! I'm on my PC at work and it appears I posted my response in the middle of other posts by mistake.

What a mess.

Bottom line, I loved the concept of Neil bringing back the double bass and the tubular bells but man that kit just looked different to me as a drummer.

So I thought the set up of the kit was more ergonomic for Neil to play than the real Seventies kick ass kit!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

I'm sorry guys! I'm on my PC at work and it appears I posted my response in the middle of other posts by mistake.

What a mess.

Bottom line, I loved the concept of Neil bringing back the double bass and the tubular bells but man that kit just looked different to me as a drummer.

So I thought the set up of the kit was more ergonomic for Neil to play than the real Seventies kick ass kit!

Yeah... I hear you... It doesn't look the same... The angles are different.... But the main thing is, it sounded like CRAP! Especially the concert toms.... Like tupperware.... Kinda sad because it looks so cool, so "Right", and I applaud the idea.... But man.... That small gong bass drum sounded OK, though.... But it looks so strange and so THIN! Still waiting for the official specs on that thing!
  • Like 3

What a mess.

Yeah... I hear you... It doesn't look the same... The angles are different.... But the main thing is, it sounded like CRAP! Especially the concert toms.... Like tupperware.... Kinda sad because it looks so cool, so "Right", and I applaud the idea.... But man.... That small gong bass drum sounded OK, though.... But it looks so strange and so THIN! Still waiting for the official specs on that thing!

Hahaha! I don't know you but I love you! YOU NAILED IT!!! LOL!!! CRAP!!!! TUPPERWARE!!

Perhaps RUSH will play on the Vegas Strip in two years! Neil will be playing behind a plexiglass sound wall! You will barely be able to hear him play!

From the MGM Grand to some smokey lounge bar at HOOTERS! LOL!

Of course I'm just fuckinng around but man who knows!!!

Being a Rush Fanatic since 1980 I must tell it's not just the sound of the drums. I HATE THE BATTLESHIT GRAY SHELLS!!

The first kit with the NP 40 is classy and KILLER!! JMO!!!! I love the black and gold bass drum head. FUKK I WANT ONE!

CHEERS!

• Like 1

What a mess.

Hahaha! I don't know you but I love you! YOU NAILED IT!!! LOL!!! CRAP!!!! TUPPERWARE!!

Perhaps RUSH will play on the Vegas Strip in two years! Neil will be playing behind a plexiglass sound wall! You will barely be able to hear him play!

Being a Rush Fanatic since 1980 I must tell it's not just the sound of the drums. I HATE THE BATTLESHIT GRAY SHELLS!!

The first kit with the NP 40 is classy and KILLER!! JMO!!!! I love the black and gold bass drum head. FUKK I WANT ONE!

CHEERS!

Not into the gray shells too much either.... But I DO appreciate that he tried bringing back the old kit for the second set... It is what it is....
  • Like 1

I agree about the sound of the toms for sure - you want especially the high toms to have that crisp, musical snap, but it ain't happening.
  • Like 3

From his "modern" setup I prefer his VT kit, loved that red sparkle and the sound he got from using the coated heads.

:eh:

I think coated heads make the best shells sound like smacking dog crap with a noodle.

HAHAHA!

I only use a coated head for my snare. A coated head is also great for safe sex!

Seriously I use REMO pin stripes. Love them. Many love the Evans. Any good?

What a mess.

CHEERS!

Not into the gray shells too much either.... But I DO appreciate that he tried bringing back the old kit for the second set... It is what it is....

I totally agree.

• Like 1

From his "modern" setup I prefer his VT kit, loved that red sparkle and the sound he got from using the coated heads.

I think coated heads make the best shells sound like smacking dog crap with a noodle.

HAHAHA!

I only use a coated head for my snare. A coated head is also great for safe sex!

Seriously I use REMO pin stripes. Love them. Many love the Evans. Any good?

I've used Evans almost exclusively the last 15 years or so. I don't know that they are better than other brands, but I've never had an Evans head I wasn't happy with. Even my coated snare head. :dweez:

Admittedly a different sound but with those coated heads on the VT album...sounds open, undefined...sonically it ties into the rest of that album that I approach like it's an impressionist painting: all the lines are blurred. If any of that makes sense.

• Like 1

What a mess.

CHEERS!

I totally agree.

Would we all agree: the DW drums sound like mud and our expectations is for that old style kit to sound, well....good. Not like tupperware.

• Like 1

Cough...tuning...cough...tuning......

Anyone who thinks DW drums intrinsically sound bad haven't spent anytime playing or tuning them....

The truth of the matter is those concert toms need a bit more cranking...

Here's another truth...when discussing the top line companies...ie DW...Sonor..Pearl..Yamaha...etc..etc...no one is putting out "bad" drums....even the "student" level stuff is light years from what came out in the past.....

Id love to check his pitches on that DW el darko side by side with either of his Tama set ups...no way are those heads tuned the same....I also wonder technique ise if he used to play a lot more rim shots on the concert toms to get more "bite".... micing too is something to look at....

Don't forget...concert toms lose their bite outdoors...something Rush was not doing inthe 70s..or 80s..( but notice how flat his drums sound on that LVS Pink Pop vid).... Rush just played R40 almost exclusively OUTDOORS......

• Like 1

Anyone who thinks DW drums intrinsically sound bad haven't spent anytime playing or tuning them....

Here's another truth...when discussing the top line companies...ie DW...Sonor..Pearl..Yamaha...etc..etc...no one is putting out "bad" drums....even the "student" level stuff is light years from what came out in the past.....

Id love to check his pitches on that DW el darko side by side with either of his Tama set ups...no way are those heads tuned the same....I also wonder technique ise if he used to play a lot more rim shots on the concert toms to get more "bite".... micing too is something to look at....

Don't forget...concert toms lose their bite outdoors...something Rush was not doing inthe 70s..or 80s..( but notice how flat his drums sound on that LVS Pink Pop vid).... Rush just played R40 almost exclusively OUTDOORS......

I'm almost positive nearly every show on this tour was indoors...

Admittedly a different sound but with those coated heads on the VT album...sounds open, undefined...sonically it ties into the rest of that album that I approach like it's an impressionist painting: all the lines are blurred. If any of that makes sense.

Yeah, that makes sense. That's a good take on VT. More positive than mine. I just laid it on the worst mixing and mastering in the history of the world. But if they intended it to sound open, undefined and blurred, they nailed it.

I'm almost positive nearly every show on this tour was indoors...

This tour has been all indoors...cough*passiveaggressive*COUGH

Not the show I saw...ATL....so how bout the other points?

The heads from 5 rows back dead center sounded lower pitched to me...so did the closed rack toms BTW....

Oh...another difference...Peart plays his sticks now the "correct" way with the bead....everything just about prior to T4E was butt end which definitely gives more "bark" on concert toms....

He also isn't vibrafibing em like the old days....

I just wouldn't compare the sound of Le Studio recordings ie Moving Pictures to live stuff...a studio is a very controlled enviornment...even in the 70s-80s.....

Yeah, that makes sense. That's a good take on VT. More positive than mine. I just laid it on the worst mixing and mastering in the history of the world. But if they intended it to sound open, undefined and blurred, they nailed it.

"VT" stands for Vaginal Tendencies."

What a waste of time and energy.

"The way out is the way in" bitches.

Signed,

"In Through The Out Door"

"VT" stands for Vaginal Tendencies."

What a waste of time and energy.

"The way out is the way in" bitches.

Signed,

"In Through The Out Door"

Oops, wrong band at the end, :LOL:

Great album though