R40 Leg 2

Will there be one?

370 replies to this topic

#41 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:45 PM

View PostLorraine, on 24 July 2015 - 01:39 PM, said:

As silly as this will sound to some, I will ask it anyway.

Any chance Neil is actually having a good time this tour and will reconsider his earlier decision?
I think he is having a good time BECAUSE he knows it is coming to an end. The soreness, the travel, the being away from family, I am glad he is having fun, but IMO, it's not because he'll miss it.

You know how when you give a 2 week notice for a job, and you are actually happy to go in to work? You can approach it 2 ways, go through the motions or give it your best for 2 weeks. It's on the employee. And Neil is a great employee dedicated to his skill.

You are anticipating something new. A new beginning. And that feeling is awesome.

Sponsored Post

#42 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42085 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:04 PM

View PostDisembodied Spirit, on 24 July 2015 - 01:45 PM, said:

Any chance Neil is actually having a good time this tour and will reconsider his earlier decision?
I think he is having a good time BECAUSE he knows it is coming to an end. The soreness, the travel, the being away from family, I am glad he is having fun, but IMO, it's not because he'll miss it.

You know how when you give a 2 week notice for a job, and you are actually happy to go in to work? You can approach it 2 ways, go through the motions or give it your best for 2 weeks. It's on the employee. And Neil is a great employee dedicated to his skill.

You are anticipating something new. A new beginning. And that feeling is awesome.

Yes, I can relate to that totally, so I understand what you are saying.  When you know for certain that something is definitely ending and exactly when it will end, all of a sudden the things that drove you nuts are tolerable and your attitude changes completely.

Thanks for putting it in perspective.  I should have thought of that myself.

#43 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:11 PM

Neil is a hard dude to read based on facial expression.  When I watch him perform, he looks a little glum and scowly to me, but I'm sure that's his focus, not anything like a "resting bitch face" or whatever.  In photos he looks pleasant enough - not all-out grinning, but not scowling, either.  I was watching him play What You're Doing on youtube recently, and I found it impossible to fathom what might be going on there. He's not blasting fills into it every 5 seconds like he might have done in the old days - not over-playing it, I guess.  But is he thinking "one more tune after this one?  One more tune after this one?" and "six more shows after this one?"  Then I gave myself a shake and said, "what the hell are you doing trying to speculate about a perfect stranger?  Get back to work!|"

#44 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42085 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:15 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 24 July 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

Neil is a hard dude to read based on facial expression.  When I watch him perform, he looks a little glum and scowly to me, but I'm sure that's his focus, not anything like a "resting bitch face" or whatever.  In photos he looks pleasant enough - not all-out grinning, but not scowling, either.  I was watching him play What You're Doing on youtube recently, and I found it impossible to fathom what might be going on there. He's not blasting fills into it every 5 seconds like he might have done in the old days - not over-playing it, I guess.  But is he thinking "one more tune after this one?  One more tune after this one?" and "six more shows after this one?"  Then I gave myself a shake and said, "what the hell are you doing trying to speculate about a perfect stranger?  Get back to work!|"

Toymaker, I'm not trying to read him.  :unsure: Quit always trying to be so noble. :eh:

I asked a question - if there was any chance he would reconsider.  That's all.  :wacko:

Edited by Lorraine, 24 July 2015 - 02:15 PM.

#45 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:17 PM

View PostLorraine, on 24 July 2015 - 02:15 PM, said:

Toymaker, I'm not trying to read him.  :unsure: Quit always trying to be so noble. :eh:

I asked a question - if there was any chance he would reconsider.  That's all.  :wacko:

Strange, I actually wasn't trying to be anything there.  Just making a post, like lots of folks do.  Sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way.

#46 FOH Lights

FOH Lights

The Seeker

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:13 PM

Neil is a hard dude to read based on facial expression.  When I watch him perform, he looks a little glum and scowly to me, but I'm sure that's his focus, not anything like a "resting bitch face" or whatever.  In photos he looks pleasant enough - not all-out grinning, but not scowling, either.
In the past, his "scowling" onstage persona often carried through backstage, except, around certain people. While I think the onstage face was a combination of concentration, determination, and perfectionism, the identical scowl took on a more self-defense feel backstage. His thinking is that if he looks miserable, people will be less likely to approach him. And, that's the way he wants it. It's a sound strategy that really works!

I was watching him play What You're Doing on youtube recently, and I found it impossible to fathom what might be going on there. He's not blasting fills into it every 5 seconds like he might have done in the old days - not over-playing it, I guess.  But is he thinking "one more tune after this one?  One more tune after this one?" and "six more shows after this one?" Then I gave myself a shake and said, "what the hell are you doing trying to speculate about a perfect stranger?  Get back to work!|"
YES, that's exactly what he's thinking. Especially on this tour. He literally counts down shows and the closer to the end they get, the happier he is. Every now & then you'll see him & Alex make eye contact and if he's smiling, it usually means one of 'em just mouthed to the other, "5 more", "4 more", etc. I'll be interested to see how that "covert onstage banter" plays out on the final night...

Lorraine, to answer your question (in your heart, you already know this)... NO, no chance. :D

Edited by FOH Lights, 24 July 2015 - 04:15 PM.

#47 Geddy Jazz

Geddy Jazz

The Seeker

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Rush

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:17 PM

Better have a 2nd leg 2016 because I am starting to suffer Post R40 depression.....any idea how to cope with???? :|

#48 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42085 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:21 PM

Lorraine, to answer your question (in your heart, you already know this)... NO, no chance.

:blah: Roger.  Over and out.

#49 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:32 PM

View PostFOH Lights, on 24 July 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

Lorraine, to answer your question (in your heart, you already know this)... NO, no chance. :D

What he said. All good things...:)

#50 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42085 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:40 PM

Well, at least all three of them signed my RS magazine before they pulled the plug.  

:)

#51 Rhyta

Rhyta

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:49 PM

View PostLorraine, on 24 July 2015 - 04:40 PM, said:

Well, at least all three of them signed my RS magazine before they pulled the plug.  

Did you get it back yet?

#52 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42085 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:56 PM

View PostRhyta, on 24 July 2015 - 04:49 PM, said:

Did you get it back yet?

Yes.  I got it back Wednesday!  :)  And I am very fortunate to have gotten all three of their signatures.  One person only got Geddy's, and another got Alex and Geddy, but mine has all three.

Edited by Lorraine, 24 July 2015 - 04:57 PM.

#53 Rhyta

Rhyta

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:19 PM

View PostLorraine, on 24 July 2015 - 04:56 PM, said:

View PostRhyta, on 24 July 2015 - 04:49 PM, said:

Did you get it back yet?

Yes.  I got it back Wednesday!  :)  And I am very fortunate to have gotten all three of their signatures.  One person only got Geddy's, and another got Alex and Geddy, but mine has all three.
That's fantastic!  So so happy for you Lorraine!!  :dweez:

#54 78jazz

78jazz

The Seeker

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:39 PM

View PostFOH Lights, on 24 July 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

Neil is a hard dude to read based on facial expression.  When I watch him perform, he looks a little glum and scowly to me, but I'm sure that's his focus, not anything like a "resting bitch face" or whatever.  In photos he looks pleasant enough - not all-out grinning, but not scowling, either.
In the past, his "scowling" onstage persona often carried through backstage, except, around certain people. While I think the onstage face was a combination of concentration, determination, and perfectionism, the identical scowl took on a more self-defense feel backstage. His thinking is that if he looks miserable, people will be less likely to approach him. And, that's the way he wants it. It's a sound strategy that really works!

I was watching him play What You're Doing on youtube recently, and I found it impossible to fathom what might be going on there. He's not blasting fills into it every 5 seconds like he might have done in the old days - not over-playing it, I guess.  But is he thinking "one more tune after this one?  One more tune after this one?" and "six more shows after this one?" Then I gave myself a shake and said, "what the hell are you doing trying to speculate about a perfect stranger?  Get back to work!|"
YES, that's exactly what he's thinking. Especially on this tour. He literally counts down shows and the closer to the end they get, the happier he is. Every now & then you'll see him & Alex make eye contact and if he's smiling, it usually means one of 'em just mouthed to the other, "5 more", "4 more", etc. I'll be interested to see how that "covert onstage banter" plays out on the final night...

I would think that after Alex's Eddie Trunk interview, that would take of the "will the tour be extended?" question.

#55 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6451 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:43 PM

View PostGeddy Jazz, on 24 July 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

Better have a 2nd leg 2016 because I am starting to suffer Post R40 depression.....any idea how to cope with???? :|

Knowing we are all very sad 😢 together (well happy for the band for reaching retirement on such a high note), but sad at the reality upcoming. Hope is free.

As a frame of reference, David Gilmour is playing two shows each in NY TOR CHI& LA. He hasn't played many shows in the last nine years. We could say he is effectively retired but has shows upcoming. This may be what Rush does once or twice in their sixties. Maybe not. But hope is free.

#56 losingit2k

losingit2k

Setlist Swami

• Members *
  • 7471 posts
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Sports

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:15 PM

View PostGeddy Jazz, on 24 July 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

Oh You're just suffering from PRICS! (Post RUSH in Concert Syndrome) .

:whipgirl: This is the only thing that helps!

Edited by losingit2k, 24 July 2015 - 10:16 PM.

#57 losingit2k

losingit2k

Setlist Swami

• Members *
  • 7471 posts
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Sports

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:21 PM

View PostFOH Lights, on 24 July 2015 - 07:49 AM, said:

View Postlosingit2k, on 22 July 2015 - 09:45 PM, said:

This is such a great Tour. I think its the Tour most RUSH fans have been waiting for. I believe it deserves a second leg. I think it will happen but not in the usual way. I think they will take the rest of the Winter off. Release the live DVD/CD around the holidays then Announce the 2nd leg of the Tour in support of the live album. Then start touring again in April of 2016. I think RUSH fans everywhere deserve to see this tour. Anyway those are my thoughts on it. What do you guys think about it?

:rush: :rush: :rush:
:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:
The emperor Peart has declared:

Posted Image

Just like I was wrong about them touring with an Orchestra and Just like I was wrong about them playing Losing It live. I can go on and on but I'll just leave you with this:

https://youtu.be/o8tHsSgHo70

Edited by losingit2k, 24 July 2015 - 10:25 PM.

#58 mrfriendly

mrfriendly

The Seeker

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:35 PM

Its funny because I'm reading his Roadshow book which he wrote about the R30 tour and all his motorcycle travels, I'm almost finished. But he says the exact same thing! How him and Alex would count down the number of shows remaining till the end of the tour. I really don't get him now, he does all these projects, books, instructional DVDs, records, tours… you would think the guy enjoys what he's doing. Then you read his books and he makes it seem like it is such a burden. On his DVDs he seems so enthusiastic and I guess the main thing he enjoys is his motorcycle but wow. Im also kind of confused if you "can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend" and hearing some of his stories yes its creepy when people randomly come up to you and annoy you. I get that. But why write so much literature and discuss so many personal things for the whole world to read?

#59 BlairC45

BlairC45

The Seeker

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Music, Biography (Artist/Bands) Books, Photography

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:57 PM

Spot on, I think they all might know it's the end why would they bring all the stage props, all the different instruments on stage with them this time around? Geddy and Alex could of use 4-5 intstruments n this Tour but they choose to bring out the vintage stuff one last time, plus Neil 1970's era Drums too for the second set.

Edited by BlairC45, 24 July 2015 - 11:58 PM.

#60 Bard

Bard

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:32 AM

View PostBlairC45, on 24 July 2015 - 11:57 PM, said:

Spot on, I think they all might know it's the end why would they bring all the stage props, all the different instruments on stage with them this time around? Geddy and Alex could of use 4-5 instruments n this Tour but they choose to bring out the vintage stuff one last time, plus Neil 1970's era Drums too for the second set.

Yep., It's all obvious to anyone who's actually paying attention.

Unfortunately, some fanboys hereabouts just can't wrap their heads around it. Pity. Ah well. The world will keep spinning nonetheless.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users