All right. I'm calling some of you guys out . . .

Rick N. Backer

^^^^ Once again... :(

Sorry, FBN and the debut are still great albums lol

But you consider them worse than everything 75'-96' to be clear?... :) Edited by Narps

I was at the Spectrum in Philadelphia Sept 25, 1980 when I first heard "Tom Sawyer" - I'm not sure how many times they had played it live, but at that point, it couldn't have been more than a handful ..

I didn't like it then, and I still don't like it ....

I have heard Xanadu mnay many many more times, and still love it

First I heard it was live too. I believe it was at the second Permanent Waves (not the pre Waves show) show I saw. It went something like... " Here is something from our upcoming release blah blah blah"... :)

Go for it Alex :D

and man, Neil was all over the place with the tempo ....

Some different lyrics ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kflP2yBvFY

It's funny how those warly versions are such train wrecks! :LOL:

I like the approach to the guitar solo. Analog Kid kind of shredding

Yeah, it's cool but not terribly well crafted.

You'll notice that 'The River!' is left out of the lyrics in this early version.

Here's the conversation in the studio between Geddy and Terry Brown when they actually recorded it:

Ged sings "His reserve, a quiet defense Riding out the day's events"

Terry: cut. You know it needs something extra at the end of that line to fill some space. Something like a short exclamation that doesn't make sense.

Ged: well, ok, let's see what I can come up with.

Ged sings "His reserve, a quiet defense Riding out the day's events....the Cattle!!"

Terry: cut. um yeaaahhhhh, no...let's try something different k?

Ged: hmm ok, help me out Neil....oh ok I got it. Let's do it again.

Ged sings "His reserve, a quiet defense Riding out the day's events....the Poodle!!"

Terry: cut. :facepalm: ok come on guys, you can do better than that.

Ged: *sigh* But I like poodles. ok fine, try it again.

Ged sings "His reserve, a quiet defense Riding out the day's events....the River!!"

Terry: that's a take. awesome. The River!....makes no sense but neither does the rest of the lyrics so it works. Now let's do some work on that goofy track about the Toronto airport.

There you have it folks. The complete history of 'The River!'

I'm growing fonder of you daily. We need more of this banter.

that's cool. but one word that will not apply: bromance.

Bromance is something that applies to Mick and Segue. You my homie

• Like 4

But you consider them worse than everything 75'-96' to be clear?... :)

Yes...:D

But you consider them worse than everything 75'-96' to be clear?... :)

Yes... :D

*shakesheadandwalksaway*.... :eh:

That'll make Narps weep.

Out of all of those the only one I can't stand is RtB. Actually its really only mild disgust. They all have their charms absolutely.

That won't matter and it won't make him feel better. They are still your five worst albums. The only thing that would have been worse would have been had you included ATWAS. As it is, the Debut and AFTK...... :ph34r:

I've got an extra hanky just in case. :)

• Like 3

That'll make Narps weep.

Out of all of those the only one I can't stand is RtB. Actually its really only mild disgust. They all have their charms absolutely.

That won't matter and it won't make him feel better. They are still your five worst albums. The only thing that would have been worse would have been had you included ATWAS. As it is, the Debut and AFTK...... :ph34r:

He's a big boy, I'm sure he can handle it.

That'll make Narps weep.

He's a big boy, I'm sure he can handle it.

I'm not haha

Every TrueRushFan™ has a top five list like this (list courtesy of a TrueRushFan™:

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

A Farewell To Kings

Moving Pictures

Signals

All the rest are wanna-be's.

This should stir the pot and fan the flames. :fury: :blaze: :tempted:

Mine is:

HYF

MP

AFTK

VT

Hems or GUP

I wanna get in on this! Mine are:

Hemispheres

Vapor Trails

Power Windows

Snakes & Arrows

Clockwork Angels

That'll make Narps weep.

Just saw this :LOL: . How AFTK is not universally loved is beyond me. They were right in their wheelhouse. Pure greatness. I can sort of understand the Debut if someone doesn't really like straightforward kick @ss rock... :) Edited by Narps
  • Like 3

Every TrueRushFan™ has a top five list like this (list courtesy of a TrueRushFan™:

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

A Farewell To Kings

Moving Pictures

Signals

Mine is:

HYF

MP

AFTK

VT

Hems or GUP

Hemispheres

Vapor Trails

Power Windows

Snakes & Arrows

Clockwork Angels

Good list really except for The One of course... :cheers:
  • Like 1

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

A Farewell To Kings

Moving Pictures

Signals

Mine is:

HYF

MP

AFTK

VT

Hems or GUP

Hemispheres

Vapor Trails

Power Windows

Snakes & Arrows

Clockwork Angels

I actually don't know which one you're referring to!. I'd guess it's Snakes & Arrows but it's difficult to keep track of what people dislike around here...

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

A Farewell To Kings

Moving Pictures

Signals

Mine is:

HYF

MP

AFTK

VT

Hems or GUP

Hemispheres

Vapor Trails

Power Windows

Snakes & Arrows

Clockwork Angels

I actually don't know which one you're referring to!. I'd guess it's Snakes & Arrows but it's difficult to keep track of what people dislike around here...

:LOL: Hemispheres of course. Snakes stinks... Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

This is ridiculous. Test for Echo is better than Moving Pictures in my opinion. Am I not allowed my opinion?

I love T4E but that's just crazy talk. Side 1 of MP Maybe the greatest sequence of 4 songs ever put to vinyl.

I still like Test for Echo more. I still listen to Test for Echo more. Moving Pictures is good, but overrated to me.

• Like 1

This is ridiculous. Test for Echo is better than Moving Pictures in my opinion. Am I not allowed my opinion?

I love T4E but that's just crazy talk. Side 1 of MP Maybe the greatest sequence of 4 songs ever put to vinyl.

I still like Test for Echo more. I still listen to Test for Echo more. Moving Pictures is good, but overrated to me.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion and all that good stuff, but I just don't understand how you can shit on Alex's guitar work in the 80s and then make a bizarre claim like this one...at least Alex had a measurable amount of nuance in the 80s :D

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion and all that good stuff, but I just don't understand how you can shit on Alex's guitar work in the 80s and then make a bizarre claim like this one...at least Alex had a measurable amount of nuance in the 80s :D

Maybe it's the production, or the fact that it's drowned out in synths, but to me the guitar between Power Windows to Presto sounds like little more than occasional chord strums and simple arpeggios.

F*cking Rush Hipsters.

"Moving Pictures is too mainstream! I love Presto!"

Go f*ck yourselves!

:P

For me, it's not that it's 'too mainstream'. It's that I genuinely find it overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's very good, but I genuinely enjoy Counterparts, Test for Echo, Hemispheres, Clockwork Angels, and a few others more.

• Like 1