Which Album Would You Say Fans Underrate The Most?

Segue Myles

Most Underrated Album Amongst Fans?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. 2112-MP are exempt as they are generally regarded as indisputable masterpieces:

• Rush
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress Of Steel
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll The Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes And Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels

I also said HYF. Beautiful, beautiful album with plenty of "prog" moments

I came across the Kerrang! review of HYF recently, and they mentioned it had complex moments that rival Hemispheres...

And then I played the album again...and realised that I actually prefer Rush of the eighties. O my days YESH!!

• Like 1

I forgot VT! It's probably second or third underratedness-wise; HYF still takes first...

I am not so sure about VT. It seems folks either love it or it unlistenable..... :huh:

I know you despise the production, but you even think the songwriting is good right? You could consider it underrated...I think haha

I don't think there is a correlation between f**king up the production so bad that some can't stand listening to being under or overrated..... :huh:
  • Like 1

Somebody needs to define "prog" for me because I don't hear it. I hear "jazzy" beautiful melodies mostly (with the exception of the last 2 sh*t songs of course).....
  • Like 3

Presto.

A lot of really good songs (some crappy ones, too, okay). Most often derided as being very light production-wise, which is a valid criticism I agree with.

If you can look past the production, I think the album holds some truly excellent tracks that would benefit tremendously from a little more bulk and life. I'd love to see it remixed. Probably a pipe dream, but it'd be neat.

I'd say Test For Echo, because that's always been a favorite of mine. Sometimes I don't fully understand why I like it so much.

Edited by ZachenFoot
  • Like 2

Presto.

A lot of really good songs (some crappy ones, too, okay). Most often derided as being very light production-wise, which is a valid criticism I agree with.

If you can look past the production, I think the album holds some truly excellent tracks that would benefit tremendously from a little more bulk and life. I'd love to see it remixed. Probably a pipe dream, but it'd be neat.

I'd say Test For Echo, because that's always been a favorite of mine. Sometimes I don't fully understand why I like it so much.

I really enjoy Test For Echo, and yet I kinda find it sucks big time.

Like that one friend you adore who is a complete loser and yet you cannot help but smile when you watch him trip over his chair in Pizza Hut.

Somebody needs to define "prog" for me because I don't hear it. I hear "jazzy" beautiful melodies mostly (with the exception of the last 2 sh*t songs of course).....

I know i thought um.....Prog.....HYF.......Is...prog???? in the same why wham was prog? lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

But Hold Your Fire is just wrong...they take every bad element of eighties music and then turn it into an album.

I fixed this for you :D

This was me 2 months ago but no longer..... :madra:

Maybe I shouldn't use the word prog because it's so broad, but basically what I'm trying to say is that Rush said "hey let's go SUPER 80s!". And they did that, but they did it in such a fantastically unique way! They pushed the boundaries of that style of music to the very limit. Take the first little sort of synth break in Turn the Page. Geddy at his absolute finest, three different synths going, all beautiful and atmospheric, and he's singing an absolutely gorgeous melody. Then the band kicks in, Neil's kicking ass on the high hat, Alex's signature arpeggiation is mind numbingly gorgeous. Just the other day I used my looper pedal and looped that little guitar chord progression and was singing the melody over it "every day we're standing..." It's an amazing melody, so pretty. Also the second verse in Lock and Key, super prog sounding, almost like it's from Hemispheres, and it's a completely different feel from the first verse, great, great songwriting. Super complex drum pattern, and Alex strikes those jangly chords at the perfect time. Not to mention the great, aggressive bass work. Ok im done nerding out now haha

Maybe I shouldn't use the word prog because it's so broad, but basically what I'm trying to say is that Rush said "hey let's go SUPER 80s!". And they did that, but they did it in such a fantastically unique way! They pushed the boundaries of that style of music to the very limit. Take the first little sort of synth break in Turn the Page. Geddy at his absolute finest, three different synths going, all beautiful and atmospheric, and he's singing an absolutely gorgeous melody. Then the band kicks in, Neil's kicking ass on the high hat, Alex's signature arpeggiation is mind numbingly gorgeous. Just the other day I used my looper pedal and looped that little guitar chord progression and was singing the melody over it "every day we're standing..." It's an amazing melody, so pretty. Also the second verse in Lock and Key, super prog sounding, almost like it's from Hemispheres, and it's a completely different feel from the first verse, great, great songwriting. Super complex drum pattern, and Alex strikes those jangly chords at the perfect time. Not to mention the great, aggressive bass work. Ok im done nerding out now haha

Damn, I just listen and it either sounds sh*tty or good..... :D
  • Like 1

But Hold Your Fire is just so sexy...they take every bad element of eighties music and then turn it into the audio equivalent of sixties era Racquel Welch on a cold day...

I am so dumb its not even funny. Ok...IT IS! :D

You are indeed very special

Edited by Segue Myles

I know i thought um.....Prog.....HYF.......Is...prog???? in the same why wham was prog? lol

Mick

This guy...lol

• Like 1

Mick

prog, art rock, whatever you want to call it. It may be masked by 80s production and duck fart bass, but it's there haha Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

It's fine, lol we all hear different things. I hear pop/soft rock laced with a tiny sprinkling of new wave.

Mick

Whatever...haha
  • Like 1

But Hold Your Fire is just so sexy...they take every bad element of eighties music and then turn it into the audio equivalent of sixties era Racquel Welch on a cold day...

I am someone who has been a huge fan of Rush since years before they released HYF. I liked Signals and p/g. I didn't really care for Power Windows at the time, but I stuck with the band to see where they would go next. Next was HYF which was not at all what we had come to expect from 8-10 of their previous 11 releases. It was soft, easy-listening, synthy pop stuff. It wasn't even new wave, which was edgy and original; HYF was the antithesis of (almost) everything I had heard or wanted from Rush, and worse, it was the first of several albums of this ilk. It was the album that drove me away from my favourite band for over a decade. I think I am allowed the hate I have for HYF.

I am someone who has been a huge fan of Rush since years before they released HYF. I liked Signals and p/g. I didn't really care for Power Windows at the time, but I stuck with the band to see where they would go next. Next was HYF which was not at all what we had come to expect from 8-10 of their previous 11 releases. It was soft, easy-listening, synthy pop stuff. It wasn't even new wave, which was edgy and original; HYF was the antithesis of (almost) everything I had heard or wanted from Rush, and worse, it was the first of several albums of this ilk. It was the album that drove me away from my favourite band for over a decade. I think I am allowed the hate I have for HYF.

Aww sorry...

...not sorry...

...kinda sorry...

...I dislike Hemispheres...

Accidental phone post

QQQQQQQQhttp://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/left.gifQQQQQQQQhttp://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/left.gifQQQQQQQQhttp://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/left.gifQQQQQQQQhttp://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/left.gifQQQQQQQQhttp://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/left.gifQQQQQQQQhttp://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/left.gifQQQQQQQQhttp://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/left.gifQQQQQQQQhttp://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/left.gifQQQQQQQQhttp://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/left.gif

Edited by len(songs)

Hemispheres is underrated by anyone who doesn't put it first ;)

Its not even top ten anymore.

Even among fans, HYF is almost universally panged as the "that was their peak synth album, and we're glad that they 'went back to their old style' after that" album. There's just some brilliant stuff on there.

Your avatar is killer btw.... :cheers:

Hahaha...thanks :)

Edited by NewWorldMan1971
  • Like 1

I have been reading through the thread trying to decide what album I wanted to vote for. I think they have quite a few underrated albums, though some are better than others.

I think the debut is underrated and under listened by a lot of people for the simple reason that Neil isn't on it. It has a very bluesy feel and is very different than what they did without John.

Test For Echo merits a lot of distain on here. I don't understand why. Maybe because it has Totem and Dog Years on it which brings it down in the eyes and ears of a lot of forum members. It gets my vote though I could go with any of these.

Vapor Trails never got a fair shake from the beginning due to the production. It still doesn't after the remix. I think some of the songs are good or had the potential to be really good. However I think all the emotional crap that was going on at the time really messed with their creative abilities.

Presto also suffers from production issues. It has some decent songs on it but seriously needs a remix by someone who could do it justice.

Hold Your Fire is a decent album but it has quite a few forgettable songs on it. It's their delve into 80s pop music. A lot of shimmery guitar chords ala The Police and synth loops make this one a time capsule :) that hasn't aged as well as their other albums.

And then there's Feedback. :LOL:

I have been reading through the thread trying to decide what album I wanted to vote for. I think they have quite a few underrated albums, though some are better than others.

I think the debut is underrated and under listened by a lot of people for the simple reason that Neil isn't on it. It has a very bluesy feel and is very different than what they did without John.

Test For Echo merits a lot of distain on here. I don't understand why. Maybe because it has Totem and Dog Years on it which brings it down in the eyes and ears of a lot of forum members. It gets my vote though I could go with any of these.

Vapor Trails never got a fair shake from the beginning due to the production. It still doesn't after the remix. I think some of the songs are good or had the potential to be really good. However I think all the emotional crap that was going on at the time really messed with their creative abilities.

Presto also suffers from production issues. It has some decent songs on it but seriously needs a remix by someone who could do it justice.

Hold Your Fire is a decent album but it has quite a few forgettable songs on it. It's their delve into 80s pop music. A lot of shimmery guitar chords ala The Police and synth loops make this one a time capsule :) that hasn't aged as well as their other albums.

Shhhhhh zumbi might hear, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Shhhhhh zumbi might hear, lol

Mick

Oops. Sorry. :LOL:

• Like 1