I want setlist ideas for my tribute band...

forcetenrushtribute

Alright, this is my conclusion so far. What do you guys think? SOO much left out, but it's a 60 minute set. Made it 7 songs instead of 8 to fit in Xanadu.

1. Force Ten

2. Limelight

3. Time Stand Still

4. Subdivisions

5. Circumstances (ALL of it)

6. Xanadu

7. The Spirit Of Radio

Don't think too many will complain with that!

I will....because there are about a million other songs I want to do in addition to these. :( But hey, if I get this gig............it's a GIG! ;) So I guess I can't complain TOO much.

Alright, this is my conclusion so far. What do you guys think? SOO much left out, but it's a 60 minute set. Made it 7 songs instead of 8 to fit in Xanadu.

1. Force Ten

2. Limelight

3. Time Stand Still

4. Subdivisions

6. Xanadu

7. The Spirit Of Radio

Don't think too many will complain with that!

I will....because there are about a million other songs I want to do in addition to these. :( But hey, if I get this gig............it's a GIG! ;) So I guess I can't complain TOO much.

I don't know, this set is lacking a certain something. Ah, it's missing a Power Windows song. Maybe practice something as a potential encore?

I actually had one originally. I was going to do Manhattan Project but with the length of Xanadu...? As for possible encore - Tom Sawyer was my plan because of it's popularity - even among non die-hard Rush fans. Which is something I actually need to take into account. This is a club. Not everyone who comes is going to be a die hard to the bones (rolling) Rush fan. I have to make sure that those songs "everyone knows" make an appearance and Tom Sawer? Well, that one is kind of like "One" for Metallica. It's the song we Rush fans all sort of eye roll when non die hards talk about it in an effort to show SOME "knowledge" of Rush. Not that WE don't like the song also...but you know what I mean. It's the one song non Rush fans can name. So, it needs to be there at least for an encore, I think. Would you not agree? Edited by forcetenrushtribute

I actually had one originally. I was going to do mission but with the length of Xanadu...? As for possible encore - Tom Sawyer was my plan because of it's popularity - even among non die-hard Rush fans. Which is something I actually need to take into account. This is a club. Not everyone who comes is going to be a die hard to the bones (rolling) Rush fan. I have to make sure that those songs "everyone knows" make an appearance and Tom Sawer? Well, that one is kind of like "One" for Metallica. It's the song we Rush fans all sort of eye roll when non die hards talk about it in an effort to show SOME "knowledge" of Rush. Not that WE don't like the song also...but you know what I mean. It's the one song non Rush fans can name. So, it needs to be there at least for an encore, I think. Would you not agree?

I actually had one originally. I was going to do mission but with the length of Xanadu...? As for possible encore - Tom Sawyer was my plan because of it's popularity - even among non die-hard Rush fans. Which is something I actually need to take into account. This is a club. Not everyone who comes is going to be a die hard to the bones (rolling) Rush fan. I have to make sure that those songs "everyone knows" make an appearance and Tom Sawer? Well, that one is kind of like "One" for Metallica. It's the song we Rush fans all sort of eye roll when non die hards talk about it in an effort to show SOME "knowledge" of Rush. Not that WE don't like the song also...but you know what I mean. It's the one song non Rush fans can name. So, it needs to be there at least for an encore, I think. Would you not agree?

I agree, you have to play Tom Sawyer!

Haha. Our first show ever we purposely omitted Tom Sawyer. Basically a way of saying, "We're serious. If all you know is Tom Sawyer, this ain't for you". haha

• Like 1

Haha. Our first show ever we purposely omitted Tom Sawyer. Basically a way of saying, "We're serious. If all you know is Tom Sawyer, this ain't for you". haha

Haha cool, thats one way to do it. :)

• Like 2

Tom Sawer? Well, that one is kind of like "One" for Metallica. It's the song we Rush fans all sort of eye roll when non die hards talk about it in an effort to show SOME "knowledge" of Rush. Not that WE don't like the song also...but you know what I mean. It's the one song non Rush fans can name. So, it needs to be there at least for an encore, I think. Would you not agree?

I feel that way about Subdivisions too. Tom Sawyer is an infinitely better song than Subdivisions though.

1. Force Ten

2. Limelight

3. Time Stand Still

4. Subdivisions

6. Xanadu

7. The Spirit Of Radio

Well, if you really want my opinion, Subdivisions and Time Stand Still are two of my least favorite RUSH songs. :eh:

I'd bag Time Stands Still. To get you back to 8, for the length of TSS, you could play Closer To The Heart and Fly By Night.

Not bad ideas. Though Time Stand Still is one of my better song vocally (for my voice personally) which is why I chose it.

Edited by forcetenrushtribute
  • Like 1

1. The Spirit of Radio

2. Force Ten

3. Subdivisions

4. Closer to the Heart

5. Xanadu (abbreviated, check out R30)

6. Limelight

7. 2112: Overture / The Temples of Syrinx

8. Tom Sawyer

1. Spirit of Radio

2. Working Man

3. Force Ten

4. The Necromancer (to make the Rush fans go crazy)

5. Dreamline

6. Time Stand Still

7. Limelight

8. Tom Sawyer

Far Cry

Caravan

Limelight

By Tor & The Snowdog/ The Necromancer/ By Tor Reprise

Mal Nar

Show Don't Tell

Stick it Out

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Freewill

Clockwork Angels

2112 (Overture/ Temples/ Finale)

Far Cry

Caravan

Limelight

By Tor & The Snowdog/ The Necromancer/ By Tor Reprise

Mal Nar

Show Don't Tell

Stick it Out

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Freewill

Clockwork Angels

I think you broke every guideline the OP made.

• Like 1

Oh there are guidelines? I just though he just wanted setlist for his band...let me go back and review.

OK guidelines have been observed:

Far Cry

Caravan

Red Barchetta

**Speak to crowd: "Hello! ...How are you guys doing out there? ... We are Force Ten as is this." ***

Force Ten

Mal Nar

Limelight

Freewill

The Spirit of Radio

Edited by losingit2k

Oh there are guidelines? I just though he just wanted setlist for his band...let me go back and review.

OK guidelines have been observed:

Far Cry

Caravan

Red Barchetta

**Speak to crowd: "Hello! ...How are you guys doing out there? ... We are Force Ten as is this." ***

Force Ten

Mal Nar

Limelight

Freewill

The Spirit of Radio

LOL it's all good! All of these ideas are helpful! :)

Here are some of my opinions. I've had my Rush tribute for 5 years now and made ALOT of setlists in that time.

In order to set yourselves apart for other Rush tributes, do songs that nobody else is doing (or very few are doing).

Die hard Rush fans will love whatever you play, so the more obsucre songs are OK to do.

And yes, there are lots of Rush tributes who only play up till Moving Pictures. If you have the ablities to do those "synth heavy" songs from the 80's, go for it!!

Here is a small sample of songs we are doing (not including all the classic "hits")

Prime Mover

Trees/Xanadu

Between The Wheels

Chemistry

Animate

Countdown (including the radio talk)

Dreamline

Caravan

Jacobs Ladder

Acousitc block of songs

• Like 1

Here are some of my opinions. I've had my Rush tribute for 5 years now and made ALOT of setlists in that time.

In order to set yourselves apart for other Rush tributes, do songs that nobody else is doing (or very few are doing).

Die hard Rush fans will love whatever you play, so the more obsucre songs are OK to do.

And yes, there are lots of Rush tributes who only play up till Moving Pictures. If you have the ablities to do those "synth heavy" songs from the 80's, go for it!!

Here is a small sample of songs we are doing (not including all the classic "hits")

Prime Mover

Trees/Xanadu

Between The Wheels

Chemistry

Animate

Countdown (including the radio talk)

Dreamline

Caravan

Jacobs Ladder

Acousitc block of songs

Dude, so I'm curious then. How well received is it when you do setlists of the more abstract/less "popular hits" type of stuff? Obviously, a lot of the "b side" stuff is my favorite (as is the case with most Rush fans) but I can't lie that it does worry me how it might be received - especially in a "music trendy" town like Nashville where random people who might not be Rush fans will react if we don't stick closer to "Spirit Of Radio, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions, Limelight yadda yadda yadda..." in one of the clubs out here. Especially when I'm going for early slots (opening act hours) with only 60 minutes to work with. HAVE you........had some crowd success with the "non hits"? Call me a "sell out", but as a new tribute band in one of the largest musical cities in the world, I feel an obligation to "play the game" for a while - if you know what I mean. As much as Kenny made me giggle with his story of deliberately not doing Tom Sawyer on his first gig with kRUSH, I don't know if I have the guts to do that. ;) Edited by forcetenrushtribute

Don't forget, Rush got away with playing one song from the 70s last tour, you can too! If I was ever in a tribute band, I could see myself putting in maybe one song from moving pictures and before for the first gig.

Don't forget, Rush got away with playing one song from the 70s last tour, you can too! If I was ever in a tribute band, I could see myself putting in maybe one song from moving pictures and before for the first gig.

You better be playing to hardcore fans...the casuals will walk out. And rightfully so.

You better be playing to hardcore fans...the casuals will walk out. And rightfully so.

See that's my thinking too. This is Nashville. It's the home of trendy pop/rock singer songwriters, Christian/gospel music and country. People will appreciate a good tribute band (there is a Steely Dan, a Chicago and an Eagles tribute band in this town that all do very well) but people want familiarity. I could be a "die hard snob fan" and do all of the 70s favorites (and I'd love every minute of it) but it will be our last gig in this town ever if I do.

Edited by forcetenrushtribute