The Official QUADROPHENIA Thread

Lorraine

Yay, love this album. I went to the 1997 Quadrophenia show in what I think was Fort Lauderdale. Nice to have actually seen John Entwhistle onstage, even if I did have a lawn seat way out in the mud and the stage was really, really far away. But yeah, Pete Townshend's world is weird to say the least. Pretty accurate, though.

I'm sure they sounded better in 1997 than when I saw them on the Quadrophenia tour in 1974. That was a major disappointment music sounding wise, as most concerts were back then. Not so today with all of the new technology. We didn't have that then. The high point was Pete doing somersaults across the stage with his guitar. Don't ask how he managed it without breaking his skull, but he did manage to do it. Even Keith behaved that night. Well. Kind of. I think he smashed something. I just can't remember what.

I have read that the backing tapes for those shows were a disaster. Failed many nights. So I can imagine the show you attended had the same issues. Wish I had been able to see them in those days - but in '74 I was 2! :o

I'm only speaking for myself, but back then, no band sounded that great in concert. It wasn't like today. Back then, with one exception, I always left a concert disappointed because none of the songs sounded in concert as they did on the albums.

So I wouldn't have noticed if the backing tapes were a disaster or not because I probably wasn't expecting that much.

That's funny that you were only two. :D

hmmm. I can remember a lot of shows, back then, sounding pretty good. ELP, YES, PF, Jethro Tull, Genesis, etc.

I agree about The Who. Always TOO LOUD but the sound got better in the late 70's and on.

I always enjoyed seeing / hearing bands play the songs differently than what's on the album ( adding solos, extended jams ).

• Like 1

Yay, love this album. I went to the 1997 Quadrophenia show in what I think was Fort Lauderdale. Nice to have actually seen John Entwhistle onstage, even if I did have a lawn seat way out in the mud and the stage was really, really far away. But yeah, Pete Townshend's world is weird to say the least. Pretty accurate, though.

I'm sure they sounded better in 1997 than when I saw them on the Quadrophenia tour in 1974. That was a major disappointment music sounding wise, as most concerts were back then. Not so today with all of the new technology. We didn't have that then. The high point was Pete doing somersaults across the stage with his guitar. Don't ask how he managed it without breaking his skull, but he did manage to do it. Even Keith behaved that night. Well. Kind of. I think he smashed something. I just can't remember what.

I have read that the backing tapes for those shows were a disaster. Failed many nights. So I can imagine the show you attended had the same issues. Wish I had been able to see them in those days - but in '74 I was 2! :o

I'm only speaking for myself, but back then, no band sounded that great in concert. It wasn't like today. Back then, with one exception, I always left a concert disappointed because none of the songs sounded in concert as they did on the albums.

So I wouldn't have noticed if the backing tapes were a disaster or not because I probably wasn't expecting that much.

That's funny that you were only two. :D

hmmm. I can remember a lot of shows, back then, sounding pretty good. ELP, YES, PF, Jethro Tull, Genesis, etc.

I agree about The Who. Always TOO LOUD but the sound got better in the late 70's and on.

I always enjoyed seeing / hearing bands play the songs differently than what's on the album ( adding solos, extended jams ).

Well, maybe my expectations were too high, but I was always disappointed. The only concert I went to that I wasn't disappointed was Peter Frampton.

In the 80's, things started to change though and bands sounded better.

Rush, on the other hand, always managed to sound great no matter what the decade. If they could do it, I don't know why the other bands couldn't.

• Like 2

What is popular music and what is "my" music.

I understand that because that is what I was like - then and now.

Very few people I knew back then liked this album. Frankly, I'm surprised at how many here like it.

I like it, but not as much as Who's Next, Tommy or Sell Out. It would be #4. I think for me I had trouble getting into it cause I came to it as a teenage American who had no frame of reference for the whole Mod vs Rockers stuff. So it was a little harder to relate. I still find it a little difficult at times. I guess I sort of brushed it off too cause it seemed a step down from Who's Next. But there are great songs on that album: The Real Me, 5:15, I'm One, Love Reign O'er Me, Drowned ... Some of the other stuff I haven't heard in a long time. Like I said, I have the vinyl and it probably deserves another look.

Very few people I knew back then liked this album. Frankly, I'm surprised at how many here like it.

I like it, but not as much as Who's Next, Tommy or Sell Out. It would be #4. I think for me I had trouble getting into it cause I came to it as a teenage American who had no frame of reference for the whole Mod vs Rockers stuff. So it was a little harder to relate. I still find it a little difficult at times. I guess I sort of brushed it off too cause it seemed a step down from Who's Next. But there are great songs on that album: The Real Me, 5:15, I'm One, Love Reign O'er Me, Drowned ... Some of the other stuff I haven't heard in a long time. Like I said, I have the vinyl and it probably deserves another look.

I knew nothing about the mods and rockers. Just what I read in the booklet that came with the album.

I love Quadrophenia because I could relate to the lyrics and the music was(is) extraordinary. I never even went to see the movie. The album was very personal to me - it was my album - I don't know how to explain it.

Quadrophenia helped me out a lot back then. It was on my turntable nonstop for almost two years - first one side, then another I'd be into - then the entire album at once. I even remember where I bought it so memorable an occasion it was for me.

The lyrics were underlined. I had notes written in the margin.

Really, you have no idea. The only other album I ever loved as much was Days of Future Passed.

I owned a portable 8-track player back then and had the album on an 8 track. I used to take it to the beach by the ocean and sit there and play the album. This was in the middle of the winter when there was no one there.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

I knew nothing about the mods and rockers. Just what I read in the booklet that came with the album.

I love Quadrophenia because I could relate to the lyrics and the music was(is) extraordinary. I never even went to see the movie. The album was very personal to me - it was my album - I don't know how to explain it.

Quadrophenia helped me out a lot back then. It was on my turntable nonstop for almost two years - first one side, then another I'd be into - then the entire album at once. I even remember where I bought it so memorable an occasion it was for me.

The lyrics were underlined. I had notes written in the margin.

Really, you have no idea. The only other album I ever loved as much was Days of Future Passed.

I owned a portable 8-track player back then and had the album on an 8 track. I used to take it to the beach by the ocean and sit there and play the album. This was in the middle of the winter when there was no one there.

I have albums like that, the ones that have gotten me through. So I get that part of it. I guess now looking at the over arching theme of Jimmy's loneliness and alienation... I guess it is kinda "Catcher in the Rye"-esque but with a Mod twist. But the insecurites tied to that character and what he is going through, that is a more universal theme, and one I can relate to. Again, maybe I missed the point because I was looking too closely to the Mod thing and missing the over arching theme. And my vinyl copy doesn't have the lyrics. So I missed out on that part. I am definitely gonna have to go back to this one. Because I can totally appreciate your devotion to it. And speaking of Days of Future Passed, In Search of the Lost Chord is like that for me. My favorite Moodies album!

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

Went back and gave this a listen. While I think it is their last great album, I still think it falls short of Who's Next and Tommy. I would probably even rank Sell Out above it. For whatever reason, it just never grabbed me the same way those albums do. But it is still a wonderful album. Top 5. But not #1.
  • Like 1

Went back and gave this a listen. While I think it is their last great album, I still think it falls short of Who's Next and Tommy. I would probably even rank Sell Out above it. For whatever reason, it just never grabbed me the same way those albums do. But it is still a wonderful album. Top 5. But not #1.

I feel pretty much the same way. It's a massive album, but I don't think it hits the heights of Who's Next. I do think it's better than Tommy and The Who Sell Out, so I guess it's my no. 2 Who album, though, if you include compilations and live albums, I enjoy Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy and Live at Leeds more. Okay, it's my no. 4 Who album.

• Like 3

I feel pretty much the same way. It's a massive album, but I don't think it hits the heights of Who's Next. I do think it's better than Tommy and The Who Sell Out, so I guess it's my no. 2 Who album, though, if you include compilations and live albums, I enjoy Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy and Live at Leeds more. Okay, it's my no. 4 Who album.

Yea Live at Leeds is strong, but I didn't include that one.

I would put Quadrophenia first, then Who's Next as second and Tommy as third.

• Like 3

I agree.

• Like 2

I agree.

Me too.

Tommy isn't as good as Quadrophenia. Even Pete knows Quadrophenia was The Who's masterpiece.

• Like 2

I agree.

Me too.

Tommy isn't as good as Quadrophenia. Even Pete knows Quadrophenia was The Who's masterpiece.

Tommy was like the children's book and Quadrophenia a novel.

• Like 2

I agree.

Me too.

Tommy was like the children's book and Quadrophenia a novel.

same order for me

• Like 2

The expanded Who Sell-Out is astounding.

Well, my ass was tounded anyway.

The bonus tracks add up to another album's worth of material!

A PT demo of this was on one of the Scoop albums. Good stuff!

• Like 3

I think it is impossible to top Who's Next. It's PERFECT. But Quad comes very close.

• Like 4

One of the prime contenders for my second favorite album of all time, along with AFTK, Queen II, and probably a couple others.
  • Like 3

By the way, is that what that noise is at the end of that song? Keith smashing his drums?

Keith was given a huge drum kit with all kinds of extra percussion instruments, including tubular bells, for the end of "Love, Reign O'er Me." He was told to just hit everything for the finale. What he did was pick up the tubular bells and thrown them into the drum kit. Repeatedly. That's what you're hearing at the end.

• Like 1

Quadrophenia is my favorite album of all-time. Actually, it's my favorite work of art of all-time.

Were you around when it came out or is it an album you discovered at some point in your life?

I saw them on the last leg of their Quadrophenia tour at their very last show at MSG.

Townshend is beyond a genius. I love the guy!

I saw Pete at The Fillmore in San Francisco. The show sold out in 5 minutes. I was able to score 2 tix.

They oversold the joint. It was packed like a sardine can and was hot and sweaty.

Alas back then I was young and I took my then girlfriend "Who" later became my wife.

It was just Pete, a keyboard player and his "phone book" of lyrics.

it was an intimate night with Pete and it blew my fuckking socks off. I actually have the official bootleg from Eel Pie Records. It's Epic!

I'm still trying to comprehend that I took my parents a few years ago to see The Who at South Lake Tahoe.

It was so surreal seeing them up there.

Roger was tripping out about the hotels and then the mountains and the lake.

Pete was in a very bad mood. He hated the cold weather and it kept making his guitars go out of tune.

Pete said that they will never play in Tahoe again. He then said that they may never play in America again.

Crazy how my first concert in my life was The Who. 1982.

Then in 2017, I took my parents to the last possible Who show in the States.

I hope not.

I'm selfishly praying for another Pete Townshend solo album with Simon Phillips!!!

Signed,

"GIVE BLOOD"

• Like 1