Working out

Steroids are bad, mmkay???

There are a couple of 'roid monkeys I see regularly at the gym. I say that not in a mean way - they're nice guys, always help unload weights that some other asshole left hanging on the leg press, and they do have impressive builds. But it is definitely that heavy massive steroid build as opposed to the "cleaner" look of the natural guys. IBFF is steroid legal, so whatever, but still.

But the other day I saw something I never ever want to see again.

Ryan, one of the 'roid monkeys, was curling some super-heavy dumbbell - I've seen these two curl the 70 lbs., no joke. He hit failure and then tried to cheat one more rep; suddenly he was on the floor screaming and sobbing and swearing and clutching his left arm. Not an ambulance-worthy injury, but his buddy (who I learned the following day is named Stuart), helped poor Ryan up off the floor and got him to the ER.

I saw Stuart again a couple of days later and asked about Ryan's arm. Ryan had had surgery to reattach one head of the biceps that had torn loose from the bone on that last curl attempt. His muscles had hit the point where they were stronger than the ligaments; one key ligament had enough and said, "seeya." So poor Ryan is loaded to the teeth on morphine at home, arm in a cast for at least 6 weeks. I swear the description of the injury made ME want to cry.

I know the type you are talking about and I really don't think it is a good look. It seems that most women do not think so either. Lean, limber and strong is what I am going for.

Update - Ryan & Stuart are nice guys, they really are. I can overlook the steroid stuff; to be fair I don't know for SURE they're using - some people just pack on muscle driving past a gym - I think they are but it's their business.

They're helping me with a few of my weak points, or Stuart is mostly since Ryan is still in a cast. I have a hell of a time packing muscle onto my back; I can get it stronger but I have to beat the shit out of it with about 30 sets total or so on back day to get growth. And I have never, EVER been able to do a pullup unassisted. That is for sure a goal - I want to be able to do 10 of those bitches, wide grip, and I want to have a nice v-taper. Don't get me wrong - I've made a lot of progress in 4 months, but I know there is room for improvement. Traps are good, mid-back is coming along, but lats could use work.

So Ryan & Stuart are helping me out, giving spots & assists so I can go heavier and hopefully get a nice muscular "cobra" back.

I have also gained 9 lbs of muscle since I was last weighed/measured at a dr's appointment!

Edited by Mara
  • Like 2

Seems I am back to the gym regularly and hopefully for good. Nice workout this morning. I am gradually mixing some running back in....

Yay! It's so frustrating to have to sit out . . . .and it also gets REALLY easy to get used to sitting on your ass. Well, for me anyway. I remember about 6 weeks prior to my last hip surgery when I had to quit training - the hip was just too unstable, really. At the time I was still in my CardioMonster phase so it never even occurred to me to keep training my upper body.

For about 3 weeks I was going nuts, and then I got kind of into a mode of. . . ."hmm, come home, feed and play with dogs, then chill out. Kinda cool." Still, I was raring to go once I got cleared to start back working out.

Hopefully you won't have any more forced breaks from the gym! And muscle memory is a wonderful thing - you'll be back to where you were in about half the time it took you to get there to start with.

Appreciate the post. During all of this I have not stopped moving at least. I have walked 3 to 4 miles in the neighborhood most days anyway. But I have lost the running on the treadmill somewhat. I was going over 4 miles in 40 minutes consistently in mid February. Now I am fighting to get to over 3 miles in the same amount of time. I am gradually running more and more and feeling good about it. At least I have no fear of my heart or any of that left. Knowing 99.9% that you won't drop dead if you push it is comforting.... :codger: :D

Update - Ryan & Stuart are nice guys, they really are. I can overlook the steroid stuff; to be fair I don't know for SURE they're using - some people just pack on muscle driving past a gym - I think they are but it's their business.

They're helping me with a few of my weak points, or Stuart is mostly since Ryan is still in a cast.

Sure, they're great guys today, then tomorrow this "Stuart" clown will be pulling you aside and trying to get you on the juice as well.

Don't give in to the pressure. Stay tough.

I have also gained 9 lbs of muscle since I was last weighed/measured at a dr's appointment!

That's great. Congrats.

They're helping me with a few of my weak points, or Stuart is mostly since Ryan is still in a cast.

Sure, they're great guys today, then tomorrow this "Stuart" clown will be pulling you aside and trying to get you on the juice as well.

That's great. Congrats.

Thanks! I don't step on a scale ever or get anything measured except when I have a doctor's appointment. So I was kind of pleasantly surprised.

No worries. I like my hair and I don't need zits at my age, or a beard for that matter. I don't want a liver transplant and I quit smoking because I really, really do not want to suddenly drop dead from a heart attack if I can help it (which in this particular case I can).

I don't like the way the juiced-up pro female bodybuilders/physique competitors look - they're TOO heavy, with manly-looking facial structures thanks to the steroids, and their voices are shot. Natural is so much better looking, with musculature that actually looks as though it belongs on the person sporting it.

Even setting all the above aside - the stuff's expensive as hell because it's all black market.

I don't see an ulterior motive - yet. They know I've no interest in competing, for one thing. (I also am about 93% sure they're a couple, so that takes care of the angle of whether they're being helpful just to hit on someone).

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

I don't like the way the juiced-up pro female bodybuilders/physique competitors look - they're TOO heavy, with manly-looking facial structures thanks to the steroids, and their voices are shot. Natural is so much better looking, with musculature that actually looks as though it belongs on the person sporting it.

Totally agree, the artificial look is really unappealing. And in addition to the high prices and health risks that come with it, taking that crap means sacrificing an element of exercising that has come through really well in your posts: how awesome it feels to make progress through sheer hard work.

• Like 1

There are a couple of 'roid monkeys I see regularly at the gym. I say that not in a mean way - they're nice guys, always help unload weights that some other asshole left hanging on the leg press, and they do have impressive builds. But it is definitely that heavy massive steroid build as opposed to the "cleaner" look of the natural guys. IBFF is steroid legal, so whatever, but still.

Ryan, one of the 'roid monkeys, was curling some super-heavy dumbbell - I've seen these two curl the 70 lbs., no joke. He hit failure and then tried to cheat one more rep; suddenly he was on the floor screaming and sobbing and swearing and clutching his left arm. Not an ambulance-worthy injury, but his buddy (who I learned the following day is named Stuart), helped poor Ryan up off the floor and got him to the ER.

I saw Stuart again a couple of days later and asked about Ryan's arm. Ryan had had surgery to reattach one head of the biceps that had torn loose from the bone on that last curl attempt. His muscles had hit the point where they were stronger than the ligaments; one key ligament had enough and said, "seeya." So poor Ryan is loaded to the teeth on morphine at home, arm in a cast for at least 6 weeks. I swear the description of the injury made ME want to cry.

I know the type you are talking about and I really don't think it is a good look. It seems that most women do not think so either. Lean, limber and strong is what I am going for.

They're helping me with a few of my weak points, or Stuart is mostly since Ryan is still in a cast. I have a hell of a time packing muscle onto my back; I can get it stronger but I have to beat the shit out of it with about 30 sets total or so on back day to get growth. And I have never, EVER been able to do a pullup unassisted. That is for sure a goal - I want to be able to do 10 of those bitches, wide grip, and I want to have a nice v-taper. Don't get me wrong - I've made a lot of progress in 4 months, but I know there is room for improvement. Traps are good, mid-back is coming along, but lats could use work.

So Ryan & Stuart are helping me out, giving spots & assists so I can go heavier and hopefully get a nice muscular "cobra" back.

Nice. Do you dead lift?

Also with pull ups. Just do them. Before and after every workout, warm up and finish with pull ups. If you have to do jump pull ups or use bands, do it. You will only get better at doing pull ups by doing pull ups!!

I am a little jealous as I am still not gaining any weight. Keep up the awesome work!

That's great. Congrats.

Thanks! I don't step on a scale ever or get anything measured except when I have a doctor's appointment. So I was kind of pleasantly surprised.

No worries. I like my hair and I don't need zits at my age, or a beard for that matter. I don't want a liver transplant and I quit smoking because I really, really do not want to suddenly drop dead from a heart attack if I can help it (which in this particular case I can).

Even setting all the above aside - the stuff's expensive as hell because it's all black market.

I don't see an ulterior motive - yet. They know I've no interest in competing, for one thing. (I also am about 93% sure they're a couple, so that takes care of the angle of whether they're being helpful just to hit on someone).

Also known as "the narpski!!"

:P

• Like 1

Nice. Do you dead lift?

Also with pull ups. Just do them. Before and after every workout, warm up and finish with pull ups. If you have to do jump pull ups or use bands, do it. You will only get better at doing pull ups by doing pull ups!!

I am a little jealous as I am still not gaining any weight. Keep up the awesome work!

I do both Olympic deadlifts (on back day) and stiff-legged deadlifts to target glutes & hamstrings on leg day. I don't keep both movements in the same cycle, though.

I do use the assisted pull up machine - have managed to get it to where I have only 30 lbs of assistance. I also do "horizontal" pull ups by putting my feet on a bench and using the Smith bar.

Good tip about doing pull ups daily. I do that with push ups right now - might as well add pull ups!

Edited by Mara

Nice. Do you dead lift?

I do both Olympic deadlifts (on back day) and stiff-legged deadlifts to target glutes & hamstrings on leg day. I don't keep both movements in the same cycle, though.

I do use the assisted pull up machine - have managed to get it to where I have only 30 lbs of assistance. I also do "horizontal" pull ups by putting my feet on a bench and using the Smith bar.

Good tip about doing pull ups daily. I do that with push ups right now - might as well add pull ups!

That is how I did it!!

It sounds like you are on the right track!!

That's great. Congrats.

Also known as "the narpski!!"

:P

:LOL: I turned it up a notch today and got 3.3 miles in 40 minutes. I started running in 2 minute periods and at 6.5 mph instead of 6.0. This is how I did it back when I started and it seems to be working again. I didn't attempt to be "helpful" to anyone.....

I fell off my bike!

We cycled over what we thought was a gravelly patch that turned out to be sand and I lost control.

All is well! I was just a little shaken and I have a tiny cut on my hand and a scrape on my leg.

The cute thing was that before my tumble we had passed a guy who was walking his dog and after I fell over the dog came over to check if I was ok! Bless!

• Like 2

I fell off my bike!

We cycled over what we thought was a gravelly patch that turned out to be sand and I lost control.

All is well! I was just a little shaken and I have a tiny cut on my hand and a scrape on my leg.

The cute thing was that before my tumble we had passed a guy who was walking his dog and after I fell over the dog came over to check if I was ok! Bless!

Glad you are ok... :)
  • Like 1

I fell off my bike!

Glad you are ok... :)

Thank you! :)

Yes, cycling on sand is bad!

I fell off my bike!

Battle scars are awesome. Wear them with pride.

And nice story about the dog. :)

• Like 1

Update: I am back to the weight I was last week!! :yay:

It hasn't started to show on how my clothes fit... well maybe a tiny bit on one or two items....

I wonder when it will start to show?? Can only wait and see.... I'm guessing its different for everyone. :)

Probably your bras with be too big all of the sudden first..... :(

Edit: I'll get off the boob thing I promise.... :blush: :)

:LOL: Probably!

Not to worry! I don't get offended easily! :)

:)

Hey Narp how do you feel about RG3's imaginary enemies on twitter? The doubters!

Wasn't aware of it.... :huh: I have doubts too after last year. We'll see....

Check out the story I posted in the NFL 2014-15 season thread for info.

Is his knee all better??

It'll never be completely better it's definitely a vulnerability he'll always have.

I fell off my bike!

You have a bike too don't you? As part of your Frenchman outfit!

• Like 1

I fell off my bike!

:LOL: Heck yeah! An artist's sketch of me during my latest getaway:

http://www.larrywelz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/frenchman.jpg

• Like 1

I fell off my bike!

:LOL: Heck yeah! An artist's sketch of me during my latest getaway:

http://www.larrywelz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/frenchman.jpg

:LOL:

I fell off my bike!

Dogs are amazing!! Glad you are okay!!
  • Like 1

I fell off my bike!

Yikes! Not to be preachy but I hope you wear a helmet. DH is a semi-pro cyclist; a few years ago he had a nasty tumble after cresting a hill and hitting a pothole he didn't have time to avoid. Ended up with a broken collarbone and some cracked ribs, but it could have been so much worse. His helmet cracked nearly in half, but after the wreck his head was pretty much the only body part that didn't hurt.

What a neat dog to come and check on you. :)

• Like 1

Ran even a little bit more this morning. I made 3.3 miles in 40 minutes. I feel it really coming around and progress being made back to my old self....
  • Like 2

Update: I am back to the weight I was last week!! :yay:

It hasn't started to show on how my clothes fit... well maybe a tiny bit on one or two items....

I wonder when it will start to show?? Can only wait and see.... I'm guessing its different for everyone. :)

Probably your bras with be too big all of the sudden first..... :(

Edit: I'll get off the boob thing I promise.... :blush: :)

:LOL: Probably!

Not to worry! I don't get offended easily! :)

:)

Hey Narp how do you feel about RG3's imaginary enemies on twitter? The doubters!

Wasn't aware of it.... :huh: I have doubts too after last year. We'll see....

Check out the story I posted in the NFL 2014-15 season thread for info.

Is his knee all better??

It'll never be completely better it's definitely a vulnerability he'll always have.

Poor RGIII!

I fell off my bike!

Thanks Cyclonus! :hi:

• Like 1

I fell off my bike!

Dogs are amazing!! Glad you are okay!!

I fell off my bike!

Yikes! Not to be preachy but I hope you wear a helmet. DH is a semi-pro cyclist; a few years ago he had a nasty tumble after cresting a hill and hitting a pothole he didn't have time to avoid. Ended up with a broken collarbone and some cracked ribs, but it could have been so much worse. His helmet cracked nearly in half, but after the wreck his head was pretty much the only body part that didn't hurt.

What a neat dog to come and check on you. :)

Thanks TSS and Mara! :cheers:

Mara, yes I do wear a helmet and I was glad of it when I fell!

Hey guess what?!

I bought new bras today! I've shrunk down a size!

I also got myself a long sleeved cycling top

Edited by LyndseyG
  • Like 3