Working out

Guess this thread needs me after all. Since my minor heart surgery and my sinus treatment I have started over. I walked 3 miles today outdoors (beautiful day) and 2 miles each of the previous 2 days. I will be back at the gym and running in no time.... :)

I must say I'm impressed with your motivation. How do you do it? I know exercising is good but I have so much trouble getting my butt out there. I'm thinking about plotting my runs into a calendar, but days when I sleep bad throws it all out the window again.

Don't beat yourself up. If my life was full of 60 hrs of work every week and all that brings I wouldn't be able to do it either most likely. It was much different when I was working my ass off and my kids needed tending too. My life is so boring at this point I need things to fill my day. I thought this would be a win win when i started 10 months ago. Something to do every day for a while and healthy too. I am happy with my results and most likely will continue till death... :)
  • Like 1

I'm WAY out of shape. Going almost two years with undiagnosed major depression and "self-medication" (read "drinking too much." Gotta love the psycho-babble jargon) will do that to a person. So, I'm starting it up again. I bought the Focus T25 from Beach Body and it kicked my ass today. It's a little hard-core, so I am not sure I'd recommend it for someone who has never worked out before unless they really take it slow. In fact, even though my history is in endurance sports, I might start out on my indoor cycling trainer for a couple of weeks to start building my cardio base back up before I go full-force into those work outs.

My goal is my first century (100 mile) bike ride before the end of May. I try not to set weight goals because if I focus on meeting my performance goals the weight usually comes off pretty easily. So, if there is anyone who would like to keep in contact with me so I stay accountable, just message me and we can figure out how to go about it. If you need someone to keep you accountable as well, all the better!

I've always found that exercise is a great way to, "get things out." Makes it doubly rewarding after you have a great workout. The frustration is gone AND you get fit.

Good job you for starting back up again! When did you start? How often do you exercise?

The 100-mile bike ride sounds really intense! That is quite an impressive goal! I'll root you on the entire way! I'd love to see this happen. You have got to take pictures. This is a great goal you have.

100 mile bike rides used to be pretty regular for me. Depression took my enjoyment of riding away and I have found it very difficult to get it back again. I have potentially found a new riding partner (my regular riding partner and best friend moved to Texas last summer just to compound my misery) so that should help. So, the 100 mile ride is me just getting "back in the saddle," so to speak. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement!

• Like 1

I just want to bump this thread to keep it alive in hopes that other people will come in and talk about how/when/why they exercise...

I still exercise every day. I change things up every now and then but haven't in a while only because I've found a routine that I really enjoy. I'm spending far more time at the gym than I ever have. Did not really ever expect that to be the case because I like being outdoors but a gym certainly has its benefits. The only part I hate is waiting for a certain piece of equipment. But, gyms offer such a wide variety of things to do! I've found myself getting into cycling and want to purchase a good bike for riding outdoors. There's a hugely popular trail by my house that I'd love to start using.

Oh, I miss the gym. Such a great feeling when every muscle in your body is sore and feeling bigger. I desperately need to get in better shape, because how it is now I get dizzy after 10 minutes of working out in the gym. :|

I know I feel so much better if I'm eating healthy and exercising. I sleep better too and have more energy.

If you keep at it, you'll see your endurance sky rocket in no time. :)

• Like 1

I'm WAY out of shape. Going almost two years with undiagnosed major depression and "self-medication" (read "drinking too much." Gotta love the psycho-babble jargon) will do that to a person. So, I'm starting it up again. I bought the Focus T25 from Beach Body and it kicked my ass today. It's a little hard-core, so I am not sure I'd recommend it for someone who has never worked out before unless they really take it slow. In fact, even though my history is in endurance sports, I might start out on my indoor cycling trainer for a couple of weeks to start building my cardio base back up before I go full-force into those work outs.

My goal is my first century (100 mile) bike ride before the end of May. I try not to set weight goals because if I focus on meeting my performance goals the weight usually comes off pretty easily. So, if there is anyone who would like to keep in contact with me so I stay accountable, just message me and we can figure out how to go about it. If you need someone to keep you accountable as well, all the better!

I've always found that exercise is a great way to, "get things out." Makes it doubly rewarding after you have a great workout. The frustration is gone AND you get fit.

Good job you for starting back up again! When did you start? How often do you exercise?

The 100-mile bike ride sounds really intense! That is quite an impressive goal! I'll root you on the entire way! I'd love to see this happen. You have got to take pictures. This is a great goal you have.

100 mile bike rides used to be pretty regular for me. Depression took my enjoyment of riding away and I have found it very difficult to get it back again. I have potentially found a new riding partner (my regular riding partner and best friend moved to Texas last summer just to compound my misery) so that should help. So, the 100 mile ride is me just getting "back in the saddle," so to speak. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement!

The body seems to bounce back pretty quickly. I bet you'll be back to where you were in no time. I remember being pleasantly surprised after having baby #2. I continued running through the first trimester but soon had to stop (I swear that baby grew huge fast - I was showing at 8 weeks). I was running at least 7 miles a day, every day. Gained a ton of weight through the rest of the pregnancy and a week, or maybe it was two, after having him, I was able to get right back to running. I was not expecting that. I think once you have good muscle strength, it sticks around even though you feel all flabby.

Guess this thread needs me after all. Since my minor heart surgery and my sinus treatment I have started over. I walked 3 miles today outdoors (beautiful day) and 2 miles each of the previous 2 days. I will be back at the gym and running in no time.... :)

I must say I'm impressed with your motivation. How do you do it? I know exercising is good but I have so much trouble getting my butt out there. I'm thinking about plotting my runs into a calendar, but days when I sleep bad throws it all out the window again.

Don't beat yourself up. If my life was full of 60 hrs of work every week and all that brings I wouldn't be able to do it either most likely. It was much different when I was working my ass off and my kids needed tending too. My life is so boring at this point I need things to fill my day. I thought this would be a win win when i started 10 months ago. Something to do every day for a while and healthy too. I am happy with my results and most likely will continue till death... :)

I just want to bump this thread to keep it alive in hopes that other people will come in and talk about how/when/why they exercise...

I still exercise every day. I change things up every now and then but haven't in a while only because I've found a routine that I really enjoy. I'm spending far more time at the gym than I ever have. Did not really ever expect that to be the case because I like being outdoors but a gym certainly has its benefits. The only part I hate is waiting for a certain piece of equipment. But, gyms offer such a wide variety of things to do! I've found myself getting into cycling and want to purchase a good bike for riding outdoors. There's a hugely popular trail by my house that I'd love to start using.

Oh, I miss the gym. Such a great feeling when every muscle in your body is sore and feeling bigger. I desperately need to get in better shape, because how it is now I get dizzy after 10 minutes of working out in the gym. :|

I know I feel so much better if I'm eating healthy and exercising. I sleep better too and have more energy.

You guys are right! I have no excuses for not getting out there, so I got motivated and ran a 2.2 miles today. After that I ate 2.2 pounds of chicken and vegetables to nourish my body.

By happy accident I discovered some songs that are great for running:

Peter Gabriel - Shock The Monkey

Rush - Marathon (of course ;) )

Rush - The Big Money

Rush - Sweet Miracle

Rammstein - Bestrafe Mich

I'm thinking about making a playlist next time :)

By the way, maybe we should suggest music that's really great for working out?

Edited by The Analog Grownup

You guys are right! I have no excuses for not getting out there, so I got motivated and ran a 2.2 miles today. After that I ate 2.2 pounds of chicken and vegetables to nourish my body.

Rush - The Big Money

Rush - Sweet Miracle

:cheers: Believe it or not 80's Yes works well for me. Let There Be Rock never disappoints either. My taste and playlist is very narrow as you probably well know. I am sure others could help you better with that... :) Edited by Narpski

Did a boot camp today. Lots of dumbell work. Did a whole mess of Turkish getups. Finished with about 50 burpees. Good stuff!! :ebert:

How did your previous workout routine go? I remember you saying it was a really intense one and that you were going to get super buff! Did the buffness happen?

Rush - The Big Money

Rush - Sweet Miracle

Lately I haven't been working out with music. My iPod has issues and doesn't really work anymore. I do have music through my iPhone but I need to get an armband so I'm not holding that huge thing. I listen to a lot of Rush while working out. I'm in the process of making a new play list. When I have it together, I'll post my songs. Would love to see more of what everyone else listens to while exercising. :)

Did a boot camp today. Lots of dumbell work. Did a whole mess of Turkish getups. Finished with about 50 burpees. Good stuff!! :ebert:

How did your previous workout routine go? I remember you saying it was a really intense one and that you were going to get super buff! Did the buffness happen?

I am probably in the best shape of my life.

I still do boxing and crossfit. The boot camp was kind of a mix of several things. Just something new to change things up. The guy who teaches it also teaches my boxing class and both classes have the tempo of an insanity workout. Ever do one of those? Very up beat with strength and cardio in one workout. Work out until you collapse. I love it.

Essentially I cycle through several different programs switching them in and out month to month. I never get bored. I work out every day now.

Rush - The Big Money

Rush - Sweet Miracle

Lately I haven't been working out with music. My iPod has issues and doesn't really work anymore. I do have music through my iPhone but I need to get an armband so I'm not holding that huge thing. I listen to a lot of Rush while working out. I'm in the process of making a new play list. When I have it together, I'll post my songs. Would love to see more of what everyone else listens to while exercising. :)

death metal/speed metal/metal core/industrial metal. The more sadistic and twisted and fast, the better. I work out like I live my life in general...........very angry!!
  • Like 1

I still do boxing and crossfit. The boot camp was kind of a mix of several things. Just something new to change things up. The guy who teaches it also teaches my boxing class and both classes have the tempo of an insanity workout. Ever do one of those? Very up beat with strength and cardio in one workout. Work out until you collapse. I love it.

Essentially I cycle through several different programs switching them in and out month to month. I never get bored. I work out every day now.

I think that's the real secret to working out. It's important to change things up. I find I sometimes get bored or feel like a certain routine isn't working like I want it to. I still enjoy running and I'm sure I'll go back to just running, outdoors, soon. Especially now since the weather is improving.

I think that's the real secret to working out. It's important to change things up. I find I sometimes get bored or feel like a certain routine isn't working like I want it to. I still enjoy running and I'm sure I'll go back to just running, outdoors, soon. Especially now since the weather is improving.

its not even just about boredom. Your body gets used to what you are doing and you will plateau. Some weeks I will do a couple heavy compound lifting days and then other weeks I will do a gauntlet style workouts every day. Never let your body adjust.

its not even just about boredom. Your body gets used to what you are doing and you will plateau. Some weeks I will do a couple heavy compound lifting days and then other weeks I will do a gauntlet style workouts every day. Never let your body adjust.

This is a good theory to carry over to other areas of your life. Never eat the same foods over and over. You'll get bored. Eat a variety. Exercise, food, drink, sex... all the fun things in life! Vary that stuff up.
  • Like 1

The gym is interesting... Mondays are also packed, Tuesday through Thursday it's the same people, on Friday there are a whole bunch of new faces, usually men who are way way buff and Saturday the gym is wall to wall people.

I'm still enjoying my current workout routine. And nothing beats that feeling of pealing off sweaty gross workout clothes and stepping into the shower.

I've not been to a proper gym, just the school gym that I last visited around 1978!

If I did go I think I'd prefer an empty gym so I could workout all alone and have no distractions at all.

I like gyms because of all the options. You can do your own thing, work whatever body part you want a number of different ways, work with a trainer, go to classes... the only thing I hate is having to drive there, having to wait for certain machines (rarely happens) and getting back in my car all stinky and sweaty after my workout. I have to shower in my own shower. It's a thing I have. :P
  • Like 1

Felt great to get back to the gym after more than 3 weeks. I went last night and today. Can't lift anything much because my wound but am back on the treadmill and starting to run some again...
  • Like 1

Felt great to get back to the gym after more than 3 weeks. I went last night and today. Can't lift anything much because my wound but am back on the treadmill and starting to run some again...

Man, that was quick. It's awesome that you're right back at it so soon. Good for you.

Man, that was quick. It's awesome that you're right back at it so soon. Good for you.

I don't give up easy. I worked to hard to chisel my body down and am not going to allow as slippage if I can help it... :)

I've not been to a proper gym, just the school gym that I last visited around 1978!

If I did go I think I'd prefer an empty gym so I could workout all alone and have no distractions at all.

I like gyms because of all the options. You can do your own thing, work whatever body part you want a number of different ways, work with a trainer, go to classes... the only thing I hate is having to drive there, having to wait for certain machines (rarely happens) and getting back in my car all stinky and sweaty after my workout. I have to shower in my own shower. It's a thing I have. :P

Well I can understand the shower thing aye. One idea might be to kind of chill out right after your workout, outside (weather permitting) in the cool for ten or fifteen minutes maybe with a cold drink, then drive home and shower after.

I tend you just do my own exercises at home. I mean you can do press-ups (push-ups) anywhere and you can do as many as you want and the more you do the more it works other parts of the body as the upper body tires and spreads the strain elsewhere.

It feels good to be back at the gym again. Taking it slow at first but I am up to 3.3 miles in 40 minutes after 4 days. I will get back to where I was soon enough.....

Well, I discovered a way to get annoying people Out Of Your Space at the gym. :)

These two women were practically on top of me tonight - I was on a spin bike. Granted, I'd already gotten my ass kicked by an hour on the VersaClimber (it's a medieval torture device, it really is) so was hoping to just manage a half hour on the bike. They're hanging there, talking - if I'd thrown my elbows out I'd have hit them. I didn't know if they were waiting for the bike or what. There are 3 spin bikes but some people just HAVE to be able to work out next to each other so they can gab. Tough shit, I wasn't moving.

I finally let out a really long, moderately audible, poisonous fart. I mean it was toxic; you know when your own farts make your eyes water that everyone else is probably gagging. But problem solved - they left! Tee-hee.

• Like 4

I've added push ups to my weekly routine. I'm at 100 before I go to sleep, 3-4x a week.. I've seen some serious gains in my flat bench dumbbell presses at the gym.. I'm addicted to push ups now