Rate the Star Treks

treeduck

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 19 2011, 08:13 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 18 2011, 08:32 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 18 2011, 07:25 PM)
All of them are really close in my heart except one.
DS9
TNG
Enterprise
ToS
Voyager (I tried watching it again...I can't...I just can't...some great episodes, but they're surrounded by mediocrity)

Yeah I never could get into Voyager, Captain Janeaway and all her crew pretty much sucked...

They had a great premise and a few solid episodes. What held it back was a lot of throw away main characters that were way too soft for the role they played (Tom Paris did "terrible" things and yet seems to be more sympathetic and compassionate than some of the original Voyager crew), wooden acting, sterile subplots (they failed miserably at capitalizing on the crew conflicts of having Maquis+Starfleet+reluctant criminal aboard).

Oh and then there's Harry Kim, the ship's toddler......let's not go there.

Yeah, but they had no problem outsmarting and defeating the Borg!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 19 2011, 08:15 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 19 2011, 08:13 PM)
DS9
TNG
Enterprise
ToS
Voyager (I tried watching it again...I can't...I just can't...some great episodes, but they're surrounded by mediocrity)

Yeah I never could get into Voyager, Captain Janeaway and all her crew pretty much sucked...

They had a great premise and a few solid episodes. What held it back was a lot of throw away main characters that were way too soft for the role they played (Tom Paris did "terrible" things and yet seems to be more sympathetic and compassionate than some of the original Voyager crew), wooden acting, sterile subplots (they failed miserably at capitalizing on the crew conflicts of having Maquis+Starfleet+reluctant criminal aboard).

Yeah, but they had no problem outsmarting and defeating the Borg!

Yes, I forgot about that. Voyager also ruined the borg by making them feeble and giving them a face (the borg queen). Two cubes? bah, it's a joke for voyager! Species 8472? Apparently the Voyager crew can adapt so much faster than the borg. But they still can't perfect slipstream or transwarp drive.

Edited by USB Connector

The Next Generation

Voyager

Enterprise

TOS

Deep Space Nine

I found something to like about all of them except DS9. It had it's moments, and some great supporting characters (Quark, Garak), but overall I found it too mired in interpersonal melodrama. It wasn't really recognizable as Star Trek, IMHO. Too much like a soap opera in space.

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Sep 19 2011, 09:32 PM)
The Next Generation
Voyager
Enterprise
TOS
Deep Space Nine

I found something to like about all of them except DS9. It had it's moments, and some great supporting characters (Quark, Garak), but overall I found it too mired in interpersonal melodrama. It wasn't really recognizable as Star Trek, IMHO. Too much like a soap opera in space.

Star Trek as a whole is classified as a "Space Opera" by quite a few people I've talked to... ph34r.gif

Funny, what you hated about it is what I loved about it. laugh.gif

Might I ask why you ranked Voyager so high? Just curious. smile.gif

Well, it's all just individual taste, right?

TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise did not focus on interpersonal melodrama the way DS9 did. Also, the whole religious/prophet thing...the unintentionally funny "Liquids vs. Solids" thing...the grim, relentless war scenarios....it just wasn't what I watch Star Trek for.

I ranked Voyager highly because it did episodic science fiction better than any series. Blink of an Eye, Living Witness, Death Wish, One Small Step, Year of Hell, Scorpion, Real Life...I could go on, but Voyager's stand alone sci-fi format lead to the most exciting and interesting shows.

Again, JMHO.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Sep 19 2011, 09:47 PM)
The Next Generation
Voyager
Enterprise
TOS
Deep Space Nine

Star Trek as a whole is classified as a "Space Opera" by quite a few people I've talked to... ph34r.gif

This is why I didn't like DS9 so much, it wasn't really a Star Trek type series. For a start there was no exploration aspect, no "trek" and mired on a space station it felt a very claustrophobic drama to me. I was trapped with these miserable people and their drab sub plots.

Secondly there were too many alien characters that all just happened to be humanoid, all with slightly different make-up effects and/or masks. It was a little too much like a human Halloween party as a result. I couldn't really take any of it seriously enough to enjoy it.

Sisko was a good character though, as played by Hawk from Spenser for Hire. Andrew Robinson was good as well. Nana whatshername was pretty nifty too...

I did prefer it to Voyager, which I thought was terrible.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 20 2011, 04:29 AM)
The Next Generation
Voyager
Enterprise
TOS
Deep Space Nine

This is why I didn't like DS9 so much, it wasn't really a Star Trek type series. For a start there was no exploration aspect, no "trek" and mired on a space station it felt a very claustrophobic drama to me. I was trapped with these miserable people and their drab sub plots.

Secondly there were too many alien characters that all just happened to be humanoid, all with slightly different make-up effects and/or masks. It was a little too much like a human Halloween party as a result. I couldn't really take any of it seriously enough to enjoy it.

Sisko was a good character though, as played by Hawk from Spenser for Hire. Andrew Robinson was good as well. Nana whatshername was pretty nifty too...

Funny, one of the reasons I liked DS9 was BECAUSE there were so few varied characters on it. On older Star Trek series there would be a different alien every week, making it seem like someone just got to show off their costumes. DS9 had very few of these. They occasionally reused popular races from previous series but they all seemed to integrate in this center of commerce that was DS9. DS9, throughout the series had a very limited number of species which had a significant part in a given episode compared to others.

Human

Klingon

Beyjoran

Cardassian

Vulcan

Ferengi

Changeling

Jem Hadar

Vorta

Those were the guys who almost always took center stage, On other series, there's always some random, throw away race which will likely never be seen again acting as the catalyst for the plot.

I'm not saying that it made them bad. No, they were always tactfully done, except in Voyager, where the Halloween costumes really do show. I just wanted to point out that your argument is somewhat contradictory.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 20 2011, 06:41 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 20 2011, 04:29 AM)
The Next Generation
Voyager
Enterprise
TOS
Deep Space Nine

Funny, one of the reasons I liked DS9 was BECAUSE there were so few varied characters on it. On older Star Trek series there would be a different alien every week, making it seem like someone just got to show off their costumes. DS9 had very few of these. They occasionally reused popular races from previous series but they all seemed to integrate in this center of commerce that was DS9. DS9, throughout the series had a very limited number of species which had a significant part in a given episode compared to others.

Human

Klingon

Beyjoran

Cardassian

Vulcan

Ferengi

Changeling

Jem Hadar

Vorta

Those were the guys who almost always took center stage, On other series, there's always some random, throw away race which will likely never be seen again acting as the catalyst for the plot.

I'm not saying that it made them bad. No, they were always tactfully done, except in Voyager, where the Halloween costumes really do show. I just wanted to point out that your argument is somewhat contradictory.

In terms of the aliens that appeared once or twice in TNG or TOS, these could be deemed "freaks of the week" you would expect that in a sci fi show. My point is having to put up with the freaks week in week out like on DS9. This is my point: the main characters were the freaks that I couldn't take seriously. I just didn't want to watch them. I also found the storylines very dull on DS9.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 20 2011, 05:29 PM)
The Next Generation
Voyager
Enterprise
TOS
Deep Space Nine

I gave up on DS9 really fast because yeah, the ST I'm interested in involves movement and exploration. The few episodes that I saw were nothing close to that.

Voyager was more of what I was wanting in a ST series. And I liked the angle that they were isolated from "home." HOWEVER, the characters were pretty crappy so that point alone took nearly everything away from the series.

Next Generation had plenty of good episodes and a few decent characters but a lot of times I thought the humor they used was a bit forced. And I did like how they didn't make Picard an updated version of Kirk. It kept some of the better elements of the original series but didn't rehash the characters.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 20 2011, 07:17 PM)
The Next Generation
Voyager
Enterprise
TOS
Deep Space Nine

I gave up on DS9 really fast because yeah, the ST I'm interested in involves movement and exploration. The few episodes that I saw were nothing close to that.

Voyager was more of what I was wanting in a ST series. And I liked the angle that they were isolated from "home." HOWEVER, the characters were pretty crappy so that point alone took nearly everything away from the series.

Next Generation had plenty of good episodes and a few decent characters but a lot of times I thought the humor they used was a bit forced. And I did like how they didn't make Picard an updated version of Kirk. It kept some of the better elements of the original series but didn't rehash the characters.

You might want have a look at Enterprise JB it's more like the original series than any of the others and because it's set before TOS it has a "retro" feel that is actually kind of refreshing after Voyager and DS9...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 21 2011, 10:09 AM)
The Next Generation
Voyager
Enterprise
TOS
Deep Space Nine

You might want have a look at Enterprise JB it's more like the original series than any of the others and because it's set before TOS it has a "retro" feel that is actually kind of refreshing after Voyager and DS9...

Funnily, in the late 90s right after SW Phantom Menace came out, I told my bro that Star Trek should "go back." BUT I told him the problem with having the original characters of Kirk, Spock, Bones in a reboot of sorts is that fans would complain that the new actors are crap compared to Nimoy, etc. THEN, I told him if they used completely new characters and had it set in a time BEFORE the Kirk crew, it could be interesting because everything would be new to fans BUT it would still be retro. HOWEVER, I said the problem with that is a lot of fans probably wouldn't like it because it still wouldn't be Kirk & company. Soooo, I thought both of those things wouldn't happen at all (even though I thought they should be made). It turned out the reboot film was much better than I could ever expect; I completely missed the Enterprise show due to my geography and lack of satellite tv.

* The other ST thought I had before I've said before in another thread some time ago...it involved having a show based around the Romulans or Klingons [when they were the enemy] and telling the story from their angle instead of the Starfleet perspective that we always get.

** Yet another idea I had around that time was more of a joke: Have the setting of Starfleet Academy for a bunch of young guns with cameo appearances from old school ST characters. Then, I thought it'd become some Dawson's Creek/Melrose Place type crap where human ensigns are banging Vulcan recruits and the like. Stupid!...but still I can see it happening even though I wouldn't want it.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 20 2011, 08:49 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 21 2011, 10:09 AM)
The Next Generation
Voyager
Enterprise
TOS
Deep Space Nine

Funnily, in the late 90s right after SW Phantom Menace came out, I told my bro that Star Trek should "go back." BUT I told him the problem with having the original characters of Kirk, Spock, Bones in a reboot of sorts is that fans would complain that the new actors are crap compared to Nimoy, etc. THEN, I told him if they used completely new characters and had it set in a time BEFORE the Kirk crew, it could be interesting because everything would be new to fans BUT it would still be retro. HOWEVER, I said the problem with that is a lot of fans probably wouldn't like it because it still wouldn't be Kirk & company. Soooo, I thought both of those things wouldn't happen at all (even though I thought they should be made). It turned out the reboot film was much better than I could ever expect; I completely missed the Enterprise show due to my geography and lack of satellite tv.

* The other ST thought I had before I've said before in another thread some time ago...it involved having a show based around the Romulans or Klingons [when they were the enemy] and telling the story from their angle instead of the Starfleet perspective that we always get.

** Yet another idea I had around that time was more of a joke: Have the setting of Starfleet Academy for a bunch of young guns with cameo appearances from old school ST characters. Then, I thought it'd become some Dawson's Creek/Melrose Place type crap where human ensigns are banging Vulcan recruits and the like. Stupid!...but still I can see it happening even though I wouldn't want it.

Yeah the reboot film was surprisingly good and it dipped into starfleet academy a little bit with Kirk working out Spock's unbeatable test.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 19 2011, 07:13 PM)
DS9
TNG
Enterprise
ToS

I agree, but the main waste of the show was Chakotay. I mean, this is an ex-Marqui LEADER who was nothing more than a marshmallow at the end. Janeway's right hand man! Imagine a Next Generation without a strong Riker character as Picard's 2nd in command and it would be terrible too.

There was one episode however where one of the crew was mouthing off about how things aren't run like this on a Marqui ship and Chakotay popped him in the face and said something like "You mean like this? This is how things were done before you want that instead?". It was awesome, but they totally abandoned this line of writing and that sucked.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 20 2011, 03:29 AM)
Nana whatshername was pretty nifty too...

Nana Visitor, she played Major / Colonel Kira cool.gif

DS9 continued to get stronger each season, which even the mighty Next Generation failed to do. Some of the "side characters" were the best of the show- Martok, Garak, Rom, even Dukat was pretty awesome.

I actually think that was an idea Paramount was floating around for a new series. I can't remember if it was before Enterprise of Voyager but that sounds way too familiar. I'm sure I read something like that before for a series idea.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Sep 22 2011, 12:58 AM)

I actually think that was an idea Paramount was floating around for a new series. I can't remember if it was before Enterprise of Voyager but that sounds way too familiar. I'm sure I read something like that before for a series idea.

That's kind of pathetic since I never read anything on that. It's kind of the idea you have ((or I had)) while baked in your early 20s. Yet it was a Paramount idea?! Jesus. Still though, it doesn't really surprise me.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 21 2011, 08:30 PM)

That's kind of pathetic since I never read anything on that. It's kind of the idea you have ((or I had)) while baked in your early 20s. Yet it was a Paramount idea?! Jesus. Still though, it doesn't really surprise me.

Jersey Shore in space 062802puke_prv.gif

I still like the idea we discussed in the other thread. Something from the Romulan Tal-Shiar point of view.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 21 2011, 09:13 PM)

I still like the idea we discussed in the other thread. Something from the Romulan Tal-Shiar point of view.

William Shatner, in collaboration with Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens, did start a series kind of with that premise. Except, of course, it had more to do with a late-teens/twenty-something-year-old Kirk and almost seemed like a different interpretation of the ST09 movie. "Star Trek: Academy" or something. Actually a decent book. I was mad he never continued the series though. They only released Collision Course and that was it. :C It doesn't seem Trial Run will be coming any time soon.. b_sigh.gif

But, yeah, anyways, huge difference there, though. A book's one thing. Canon doesn't necessarily apply and you can stretch characters, settings, etc. without making too many people angry. But since Star Trek's a TV series at its heart, they'd have to work hard to come up with something original. It seems as if everything's been covered before, story-wise!

I also never watched Enterprise- until just recently. Just in the last few months, I've made my first watch through of that whole series, and while it started out a big rough, the show was really getting good by the time they ended it. Despite Scott Bakula's awful acting, Enterprise was easily better than Voyager when I actually gave it a shot.

That being said, the real contest is between TNG and DS9. DS9 had some incredible moments, and the best story arc in the history of Trek. While TNG had the most memorable characters and acting, as well as the most profound 'parable' writing. DS9 might actually be the better show but TNG is just too classic and too much of a legacy to top.

TNG

DS9

TOS

ENT

VOY

TNG all the way, though the first two seasons are a little questionable ,, but Q is brilliant and Data was a great idea,, The Inner Light is a standout episode as well as All Good things,, i loved the Worf Episodes like Sins of the Father,

TOS : the more i watch it the more i get it,, Trouble with Tribbles is hilarious, Balance of Terror is fairly sad,, and of course one of my favs is The City at the edge of forever,,

Enterprise: the last two seasons were great,, First Flight is a particular favorite of mine,,

DS9 / Voyager,, kinda boring

confused13.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Sep 22 2011, 12:04 PM)

William Shatner, in collaboration with Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens, did start a series kind of with that premise. Except, of course, it had more to do with a late-teens/twenty-something-year-old Kirk and almost seemed like a different interpretation of the ST09 movie. "Star Trek: Academy" or something. Actually a decent book. I was mad he never continued the series though. They only released Collision Course and that was it. :C It doesn't seem Trial Run will be coming any time soon.. b_sigh.gif

But, yeah, anyways, huge difference there, though. A book's one thing. Canon doesn't necessarily apply and you can stretch characters, settings, etc. without making too many people angry. But since Star Trek's a TV series at its heart, they'd have to work hard to come up with something original. It seems as if everything's been covered before, story-wise!

It may seem like that but I don't believe for a second that everything has been done story-wise. It's space. They've got the whole universe to work with.

The Original Series - the one I grew up with. Still can't beat Kirk, Spock and McCoy, imo

Next Gen - seasons 3 and 4 were marvellous. I'll never forget seeing Yesterday's Enterprise for the first time. It was like the show suddenly found a classic to match some of The Original Series' best.

DS9 / Voyager - hard to separate these two for me, as I was never really a fan of either. I watched DS9 because friends kept telling me it was the best Trek ever, but I could never get past Avery Brooks, whose acting I found incredibly bad, and the Kira character, who I found really annoying, and Odo, whose storylines bored me rigid. I much preferred Babylon 5 ph34r.gif . Voyager, I remember some great episodes, but it did seem to go through the motions.

Enterprise - ugh. Never liked it. Shame, cos I like Scott Bakula, but I can barely remember any of the other characters.

Edited by willowroolz

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 22 2011, 01:29 AM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Sep 22 2011, 12:04 PM)

It may seem like that but I don't believe for a second that everything has been done story-wise. It's space. They've got the whole universe to work with.

Agreed. How much more leeway can you want? You can make the setting on a space station, you can make it on a ship (exploration, cargo, anything), you can make it focus on a group of people. The universe of Star Trek is massive. There are so many unwritten backstories.

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Sep 22 2011, 02:20 AM)
DS9 / Voyager - hard to separate these two for me, as I was never really a fan of either. I watched DS9 because friends kept telling me it was the best Trek ever, but I could never get past Avery Brooks, whose acting I found incredibly bad

You should check out The Visitor, In The Pale Moonlight, and Far Beyond the Stars. Those are really good episodes that showcase Avery's acting talent IMO.