BBQ

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25526 posts
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 16 2011, 04:43 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 16 2011, 01:02 PM)
And the mere thought of sweet potato pie (or sweet potato anything, really) turns my stomach.

yes.gif

Totally agree there. I don't like pumpkin pie either

Me either.  It's funny, no one in my family really likes pumpkin pie much at all, but it's one of those Thanksgiving staples.  So every Thanksgiving, there sits that damn pumpkin pie on the sideboard, completely ignored.  

One year I was a guest in someone's home.  After dinner everyone was served a slice of pumpkin pie automatically.  Oh shit.  I mean, I not only don't like pumpkin pie, I almost can't eat it without gagging.  It's just got a weird mouthfeel to it.

I hope no one thought I was rude for taking such a massive helping of whipped cream, but it was the only way I could choke down enough pie to be polite.  

Sponsored Post

#22 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 79312 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:11 PM

Cornbread sounds good, but I've never seen it. Is it really nice?

I don't like the sound of pumpkins...

#23 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25526 posts
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 16 2011, 05:11 PM)
Cornbread sounds good, but I've never seen it. Is it really nice?

I don't like the sound of pumpkins...

It's more cakelike than it is bread.  Sometimes it's sweet, and sometimes it has more of a real corn taste to it.  

I can eat it if it has cheese baked in to it.  

#24 circumstantial tree

circumstantial tree

The Movie Star

• Members *
  • 20795 posts
  • Interests:architecture, North Carolina culture, classic TV, biographies, skating, music, fine arts, Italian cuisine, striped tube socks. Starred in "Beyond the Lighted Stage" as a fan.

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:29 PM

eastern NC style chopped barbecue is about the only barbecue I'll eat and it's so good.

#25 ColdFireYYZ

ColdFireYYZ

Prog Hipster

• Members
  • 6174 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:00 PM

This thread is making me hungry! Barbecue ribs are one of my favorite foods. I love southern food. drool1.gif
Does anyone else like fried okra?

#26 circumstantial tree

circumstantial tree

The Movie Star

• Members *
  • 20795 posts
  • Interests:architecture, North Carolina culture, classic TV, biographies, skating, music, fine arts, Italian cuisine, striped tube socks. Starred in "Beyond the Lighted Stage" as a fan.

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 16 2011, 08:00 PM)
This thread is making me hungry! Barbecue ribs are one of my favorite foods. I love southern food. drool1.gif

I love fried okra. Don't like it stewed though.

#27 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 17 2011, 03:02 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 16 2011, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 16 2011, 11:11 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 16 2011, 08:17 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 16 2011, 05:12 AM)
One of the ONLY redeeming things about living in the Deep South is the BBQ.

Don't forget the cornbread and sweet potato pie!!!  drool1.gif

Neither of those items is on my list of "good things about living in the Deep South".  Barf to both.

Thanks for livening up the thread Mara smile.gif

I have to have cornbread with BBQ. I do not like baked beans at all. When I make it at home... always have cornbread and grilled corn.

I'm not a huge fan of baked beans, normally.  But I have a co-worker who makes wicked good ones.  (The generous addition of bacon is key).  

I'd rather just have a nice hot roll or a biscuit.  Or just 86 the bread entirely, even (leaves room for extra helpings of meat).  But I really freaking hate cornbread, always have.  And the mere thought of sweet potato pie (or sweet potato anything, really) turns my stomach.

f***ing hell Mara. What do you like?  wink.gif  pokey.gif

I'd like to see your full list of foods you hate/don't care for. It's gotta be close to War and Peace length yeah?  tongue.gif  

#28 HowItIs

HowItIs

Goddess in our Garden

• Members *
  • 6072 posts
  • Interests:Well, Rush of course..... Other Prog bands including Genesis, Yes, ELP. Reading, always reading. Stephen King, Carl Hiaasen, any kind of Non-Fiction and, naturally, Neil's books. Collecting; Fenton glass, Frankoma pottery, Disneyland souvenirs. Movies; we have about 300 DVDs. Word puzzles; crosswords and the like. Politics; I'm a writer for a political blog and a proud Progressive.

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:03 AM

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 16 2011, 05:54 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 16 2011, 08:00 PM)

I love fried okra. Don't like it stewed though.

Oh, yeah! Rolled in corn meal and fried to a nice GBD. Mmmmm.. But I won't even touch it if it's prepared any other way.

I'm one of those sloppy BBQ fans. dry rub is okay but I want sauce, too!  

#29 Fred Star

Fred Star

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6330 posts
  • Interests:Varied.. (all above board and legal-like)

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:11 PM

Did a Crock-Pot Pulled Pork (with onion and bramley apples) on friday.. forgot the cinnamon and brown sugar but it was alright.  

#30 1 of the 7

1 of the 7

Geddy, Geddy, Gumdrops!

• Members
  • 11919 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:03 PM

Had a boss once who we were glad left for many reasons, one being his awful cornbread. It had a funny flavor wacko.gif I like everyone else's, though.

My brother is the barbecuer in my family; he has a smoker and all. He's made Dan and I beef ribs, BBQ chicken, and some kind of pork the last time we were there. We didn't go anywhere near Connecticut this year, and are missing our visit. Here he made enough to have loads of leftovers:

user posted image

#31 Finding IT

Finding IT

Kung Fu Fighting

• Members *
  • 16025 posts
  • Interests:Family and Friends, Education, Literature, FIRST Robotics, Teaching Martial Arts, Baltimore Ravens, MMA, Writing, Special Needs Kids, Classical Guitar, Gerrymandering

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:26 PM

My best friend and I are solidly in our middle ages. His parents are elderly and spend winters in Florida. So we drive their car from Maryland down I-95 to Orlando in December and bring it back in April. It gives us a chance to push away from our immediate responsibilities for a few days and our wives are both very supportive of this.

We are both bonafide Barbeque freaks and a significant part of the trip is 2 or 3 stops at well respected Barbeque joints. We've driven in excess of 100 miles off of I-95 to visit various restaurants and probably been to 30 - 40 different places over the years.

If anyone has a can't miss Barbeque Joint, Pit, Shack, etc., in Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia or even Florida, please let me know.

Incidently, we both agree that Wiley's Championship Barbque just outside of Savannah is the best overall Barbeque restaurant we have ever visited. If you love Barbeque, this should be on your bucket list.  

#32 circumstantial tree

circumstantial tree

The Movie Star

• Members *
  • 20795 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Sep 18 2011, 09:26 PM)
My best friend and I are solidly in our middle ages. His parents are elderly and spend winters in Florida. So we drive their car from Maryland down I-95 to Orlando in December and bring it back in April. It gives us a chance to push away from our immediate responsibilities for a few days and our wives are both very supportive of this.

We are both bonafide Barbeque freaks and a significant part of the trip is 2 or 3 stops at well respected Barbeque joints. We've driven in excess of 100 miles off of I-95 to visit various restaurants and probably been to 30 - 40 different places over the years.

If anyone has a can't miss Barbeque Joint, Pit, Shack, etc., in Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia or even Florida, please let me know.

Incidently, we both agree that Wiley's Championship Barbque just outside of Savannah is the best overall Barbeque restaurant we have ever visited. If you love Barbeque, this should be on your bucket list.

For barbecue, eastern NC style (vinegar and pepper based), go to Gardners Barbecue. My hometown of Rocky Mount, NC has a couple. They have a lunch buffet during the week. Rocky Mount is along I-95. Another is Smithfield's BB in Raleigh.

#33 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9380 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Sep 18 2011, 08:26 PM)

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.php

there ya go. check out the BBQ trail map.

these establishments are the real deal.

all of them use only WOOD. to me if they are not using all wood its not BBQ.
no charcoal, no gas with wood. wood and only wood is what makes it good.

in other words if there is not a wood pile out back, i am passing.

#34 Finding IT

Finding IT

Kung Fu Fighting

• Members *
  • 16025 posts
  • Interests:Family and Friends, Education, Literature, FIRST Robotics, Teaching Martial Arts, Baltimore Ravens, MMA, Writing, Special Needs Kids, Classical Guitar, Gerrymandering

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 18 2011, 09:27 PM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Sep 18 2011, 09:26 PM)

For barbecue, eastern NC style (vinegar and pepper based), go to Gardners Barbecue. My hometown of Rocky Mount, NC has a couple. They have a lunch buffet during the week. Rocky Mount is along I-95. Another is Smithfield's BB in Raleigh.

Hey CT, we've been to both. Both were good, as I recall. I remember Gardner's had a buffet and actually liked the chicken better than the pork, which is rare for me.

Smithfields is a chain, isn't it? We've see a couple of them. Pretty good pulled pork but I think I remember it being a little over spiced, IMHO. Really good potato salad, though.

Thanks for the tips.

#35 Finding IT

Finding IT

Kung Fu Fighting

• Members *
  • 16025 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 19 2011, 09:14 AM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Sep 18 2011, 08:26 PM)

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.php

there ya go. check out the BBQ trail map.

these establishments are the real deal.

all of them use only WOOD. to me if they are not using all wood its not BBQ.
no charcoal, no gas with wood. wood and only wood is what makes it good.

in other words if there is not a wood pile out back, i am passing.

Very nice site, thanks. We will review it when we plan out next trip in December.

The kind of wood really matters, particularly for pork and chicken. For example, I don't like the flavor that mesquite puts in any meat. I don't care for Oak, either.

I tend to like the fruit woods and pecan for pork.  

#36 ridertoo98

ridertoo98

Never misses a birthday

• Members *
  • 8234 posts
  • Interests:music,firearms,motorcycles,my GF, my kids, cars, PC games
    learning new stuff, my pet cats

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:14 AM

Tarheel Pig Pickers Barbecue Co, right off 95  just a bit north of Richmond Va. Good place for hog!!
A place here  Andy Nelson's is the goto for me in Baltimore.  Did famous Dave's Sat nite with my GF its ok not bad at all.   My last bike trip out west we hit bbq joints all over NC and Tenn. damn near didnt make it ourt.LOL tongue.gif  

#37 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9380 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (ridertoo98 @ Sep 20 2011, 08:14 AM)
Tarheel Pig Pickers Barbecue Co, right off 95  just a bit north of Richmond Va. Good place for hog!!
A place here  Andy Nelson's is the goto for me in Baltimore.  Did famous Dave's Sat nite with my GF its ok not bad at all.   My last bike trip out west we hit bbq joints all over NC and Tenn. damn near didnt make it ourt.LOL tongue.gif

the one time i ate at famous daves it was pretty good IMO.

Bessingers in Charleston SC is very good IMO.

I have eaten at Dukes in Walterboro SC. I say good but not as good as bessingers.  

#38 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

Coach Cheesehead

• Members
  • 21420 posts
  • Interests:Drinking, smoking, drugs, Justin Bieber, lying on the internet.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 20 2011, 02:39 PM)
QUOTE (ridertoo98 @ Sep 20 2011, 08:14 AM)
Tarheel Pig Pickers Barbecue Co, right off 95  just a bit north of Richmond Va. Good place for hog!!
A place here  Andy Nelson's is the goto for me in Baltimore.  Did famous Dave's Sat nite with my GF its ok not bad at all.   My last bike trip out west we hit bbq joints all over NC and Tenn. damn near didnt make it ourt.LOL tongue.gif

the one time i ate at famous daves it was pretty good IMO.

Bessingers in Charleston SC is very good IMO.

I have eaten at Dukes in Walterboro SC. I say good but not as good as bessingers.

There was a place in Clemson that I went often while in college, but the name escapes me.

#39 ridertoo98

ridertoo98

Never misses a birthday

• Members *
  • 8234 posts
  • Interests:music,firearms,motorcycles,my GF, my kids, cars, PC games
    learning new stuff, my pet cats

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:15 PM

I did try a place outside St Lo. had a bunch of trophies I cant remember the name. I hit so many bbq joints on that trip it was crazy.  tongue.gif  

#40 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

Coach Cheesehead

• Members
  • 21420 posts
  • Interests:Drinking, smoking, drugs, Justin Bieber, lying on the internet.

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

I redeemed myself! I made 2 briskets last weekend. Slow cooked them for 8 hours and they were awesome. Some people like them plain, I like them coated with a little BBQ sauce. My favorite for brisket is this one:

user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users