American Idol- anyone?

Running Rebel

QUOTE (Pags @ May 13 2011, 07:51 AM)
I honestly don't know why people think James and Kasey were all that great.  I like James, not trying to put him down - but this is, before anything else, a singing competition.  I don't think either one of them could out-sing the others.  Regardless of their unique style, or their incredible range - they couldn't sustain solid performances like the others have been. 

If you close your eyes and just listen to James sing, there are so many times the dude misses the note he was shooting for.  It's overlooked because of on-stage explosions, overpowering music, a piano that catches on-fire, or that everything makes him cry.  Really, I do like the guy, and wish him great things - but he's not the rock-god that he's trying to be.  He's just not.  I love what he brought to the show, and I also understand there is a lot more to performing that just singing.  But if you can't sustain, I don't care what you blow up on stage, it won't last.

And Kasey, as unique as he is, is just plain scary.  He does edge into the realm of great singers like Joe Cocker and John Fogerty, but not nearly enough to be considered at their level.  Not even close.

I get it - I don't see myself waiting for the record release of the remaining 3.  But I won't be either with James or Kasey.

And btw - you can't blame the show.  America votes, not Idol.  Idol put these people there in the first place, and the judges are as upset to see them voted off as you are.  Don't blame idol.  Thank them for at least giving these folks a stage to sing on, and an audience of millions to try and win over.

I agree. I was rooting for James in the beginning but then he started to lose me and after he hacked that 30 Seconds to Mars tune last week, I no longer thought he deserved to win. If he takes some lessons and really works on his pitch, he might have a shot at success.

Edited by Rushman14

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Pags @ May 13 2011, 07:51 AM)
I honestly don't know why people think James and Kasey were all that great. I like James, not trying to put him down - but this is, before anything else, a singing competition. I don't think either one of them could out-sing the others. Regardless of their unique style, or their incredible range - they couldn't sustain solid performances like the others have been.

If you close your eyes and just listen to James sing, there are so many times the dude misses the note he was shooting for. It's overlooked because of on-stage explosions, overpowering music, a piano that catches on-fire, or that everything makes him cry. Really, I do like the guy, and wish him great things - but he's not the rock-god that he's trying to be. He's just not. I love what he brought to the show, and I also understand there is a lot more to performing that just singing. But if you can't sustain, I don't care what you blow up on stage, it won't last.

And Kasey, as unique as he is, is just plain scary. He does edge into the realm of great singers like Joe Cocker and John Fogerty, but not nearly enough to be considered at their level. Not even close.

I get it - I don't see myself waiting for the record release of the remaining 3. But I won't be either with James or Kasey.

And btw - you can't blame the show. America votes, not Idol. Idol put these people there in the first place, and the judges are as upset to see them voted off as you are. Don't blame idol. Thank them for at least giving these folks a stage to sing on, and an audience of millions to try and win over.

I don't blame Idol. I blame America for its unrelenting worshipping of mediocrity.

Scott McCreery flew back to Raleigh and Garner last night to a lot of fanfare. I'm assuming he's still in the running?

The final should have been Pia and James . America got it wrong agian........... Edited by metaldad

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 18 2011, 12:15 PM)
The final should have been Pia and James . America got it wrong agian...........

That would have been an awesome match-up. I think Pia would have taken it.

Either way, they are going places. You don't need to win this thing... to win. yes.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 18 2011, 09:15 AM)
The final should have been Pia and James . America got it wrong agian...........

I never got what the big deal about Pia was. confused13.gif

Anyway, while I will possibly watch the rest of this series (if I can squeeze in some watching time when my wife isn't around as she's completely over it now), the show really ended last week for me, and especially for her.

I guess they should give it to Scotty - he's gonna be a huge country star regardless, and while he's talented, I'll never listen to him after the show is over. The two girls are also talented, but I can't imagine I'd listen to anything they'd come up with post-show either.

The competition was half over when Casey was voted out, and completely over when James was voted out. The only true originality the top 10 had.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 18 2011, 09:42 PM)

Anyway, while I will possibly watch the rest of this series (if I can squeeze in some watching time when my wife isn't around as she's completely over it now), the show really ended last week for me, and especially for her.

I guess they should give it to Scotty - he's gonna be a huge country star regardless, and while he's talented, I'll never listen to him after the show is over. The two girls are also talented, but I can't imagine I'd listen to anything they'd come up with post-show either.

The competition was half over when Casey was voted out, and completely over when James was voted out. The only true originality the top 10 had.

James? Original? No. I like him, but all he did was grab his favorite moments from hair band videos on MTV and try to re-create them on the Idol stage.

Naima, was original. She came up with her very own thing every week, and was voted out way too soon.

QUOTE (Pags @ May 18 2011, 07:07 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 18 2011, 09:42 PM)

James? Original? No. I like him, but all he did was grab his favorite moments from hair band videos on MTV and try to re-create them on the Idol stage.

Naima, was original. She came up with her very own thing every week, and was voted out way too soon.

Ok, maybe original isn't the best word for James. James was exciting, not to mention interesting and very unique for Idol, and I would be very interested to hear what he comes up with in the future.

Casey is definitely original, and to me he should have easily won this thing.

And I agree to an extent on Naima. She was interesting and original, but when she had an off week, it wasn't that great.

Of the 3 left, I like Haley the best. I like the character of her voice. I realize that Lauren may have the better singing voice, but it just doesn't appeal to me. Scotty has talent, but I don't do country. Unless you count John Denver, and these days, that's rare for me.

Haley needs to vary her stage presence, though. Her style is too repetitive with the left arm going all over the place.

Who's going tonight? Tough call, but unfortunately I think it will be Haley. Not enough of the voting demographic know and appreciate What is and What Should Never Be. Plus, I'd be willing to bet country fans vote for this thing in droves, so both Scotty and Lauren have that support.

QUOTE (Alph Seeker @ May 19 2011, 09:03 AM)
Of the 3 left, I like Haley the best. I like the character of her voice. I realize that Lauren may have the better singing voice, but it just doesn't appeal to me. Scotty has talent, but I don't do country. Unless you count John Denver, and these days, that's rare for me.

Haley needs to vary her stage presence, though. Her style is too repetitive with the left arm going all over the place.

Who's going tonight? Tough call, but unfortunately I think it will be Haley. Not enough of the voting demographic know and appreciate What is and What Should Never Be. Plus, I'd be willing to bet country fans vote for this thing in droves, so both Scotty and Lauren have that support.

Unfortunately I think it will be Haley too. But Country rules these days. I really think Scotty has this competition.

An engineer who I worked with in Raleigh goes to the same church as Scott McCreery. I just found this out last night. I called him up and he confirmed it. Small world, isn't it?

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 19 2011, 02:31 PM)
An engineer who I worked with in Raleigh goes to the same church as Scott McCreery. I just found this out last night. I called him up and he confirmed it. Small world, isn't it?

Woah! ohmy.gif

And get this! My Wife's Mother's Aunt had her picture taken with this guy Maks, apparently from Dancing With The Stars - who works with another dancer dude named Mark Ballas who was reported to be dating Pia from Idol.

Can you believe how close that makes me to Pia? It's uncanny! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ May 19 2011, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 19 2011, 02:31 PM)

Woah! ohmy.gif

And get this! My Wife's Mother's Aunt had her picture taken with this guy Maks, apparently from Dancing With The Stars - who works with another dancer dude named Mark Ballas who was reported to be dating Pia from Idol.

Can you believe how close that makes me to Pia? It's uncanny! tongue.gif

bd.gif Stop it, Pags. You're stealing my thunder! laugh.gif

Of the two:

I am no qualified judge of singing ability, but I think Lauren is the better of the two. While I wouldn't choose to listen to either, I rather listen to Scotty sing.

Both seem like sincere, humble people and I'd be happy for either one of them. I think Scotty would take a loss better, personally, and I also think he'd be happy to see Lauren win (as in a gentlemanly way). Based on that, I think I'd rather see Lauren win this. Both will get great starts to a singing career, which they both seem to want to do. I don't know who the voters will choose, but I suspect Lauren.

Not that I'd really like to see this, but I can't help but imagine what it would be like if Geddy, Alex and Neil were the judges. Alex would derail the whole thing by cracking Geddy up all the time for sure.

Since Scott is from my territory, I'll vote for him. I can't believe I watched last night but I have to admit he can really sing.

That thing Alaina did by going into the audience to greet her mother seemed like an underhanded way to get sympathy votes.

Word on the street is James with Judas Priest tonight

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 25 2011, 09:20 AM)

I was quickly bored to tears and I turned it off.

QUOTE (umoveme @ May 25 2011, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 25 2011, 09:20 AM)

I was quickly bored to tears and I turned it off.

How did you turn something off that has not aired yet ?