Time for Alex & Geddy to "assume control"

GeminiRising79

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jan 25 2011, 11:29 PM)

Neil is a douche
Neil is the dictator of Rush, Geddy and Alex are his toadies
New Rush sucks
Rush is lazy and uninspired
Rush should go back to the good old days
Rush should call up Terry Brown
)

Nail. On. Head.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As long as CA is closer to Vapor Trails or older material, and VERY far away from Snakes and Arrows (so yeah, I guess you could say minimize the agnistic stuff). I won't complain.

If geminirising is getting this upset over agnostic lyrics, can you imagine the fit he must have pitched back in the 70s when Neil was writing about Cygnus, Bacchus, Dionysus, and Apollo! Acknowledging other gods is a SIN! It's sacrilege! Or do those not count, only because enough time has passed from the ancient greeks and romans that we are able to see *their* gods as the imaginative fairy tales they are?

QUOTE (BetweenBrightLights @ Jan 25 2011, 08:18 PM)
Neil is the writer. I don't agree with some of the messages in his latest songs, but, they're still effectively written. I don't see a return to the days of "individualism or Ayn Rand". Naturally, expect more about mortality.

I'll be willing to accept mortality, it will still be a deviation from "there is no god".

By the way, welcome to the forum! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 25 2011, 01:43 PM)
We get it, the concept of someone speaking their mind about agnosticism makes you so terrified, you probably piss yourself every time you see the letters BU2B.

Sorry dude, but this argument is just ridiculous. If you truly think that the people who don't like this song or Faithless don't like it because it terrifies them, you're just high.

That would be like saying, if for some reason Rush made a very pro-God song (or even two on successive albums), that you wouldn't like it because it would terrify you. I would think more of you than that. It would probably just seem annoying and preachy to you, much like Faithless and BU2B seems to many of us. It's really that simple.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 25 2011, 08:49 PM)
We get it, the concept of someone speaking their mind about agnosticism makes you so terrified, you probably piss yourself every time you see the letters BU2B.

Sorry dude, but this argument is just ridiculous. If you truly think that the people who don't like this song or Faithless don't like it because it terrifies them, you're just high.

That would be like saying, if for some reason Rush made a very pro-God song (or even two on successive albums), that you wouldn't like it because it would terrify you. I would think more of you than that. It would probably just seem annoying and preachy to you, much like Faithless and BU2B seems to many of us. It's really that simple.

Not when the same person has made the same topic 3+ times, dude. I'm not saying it as a generalism, I'm applying it directly to OP. And in that case, it's very true.

And the difference with me is, I wouldn't make a similar thread (over and over and over) if they wrote religious lyrics (which they borderline have in the past), because it would be ANNOYING to do that, not simply because it's "going my way" right now. Please.

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 25 2011, 06:58 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 25 2011, 08:49 PM)

Not when the same person has made the same topic 3+ times, dude. I'm not saying it as a generalism, I'm applying it directly to OP. And in that case, it's very true.

And the difference with me is, I wouldn't make a similar thread (over and over and over) if they wrote religious lyrics (which they borderline have in the past), because it would be ANNOYING to do that, not simply because it's "going my way" right now. Please.

The OP might be repetitive, but he also said this:

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 25 2011, 02:48 PM)
I don't care so much that he writes about agnosticism/atheism, and it doesn't offend me, but don't  beathorse.gif

Unless you're just claiming he's outright lying, what he said there would seem to refute your argument about him.

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 25 2011, 07:05 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 25 2011, 09:02 PM)
Unless you're just claiming he's outright lying

yes.gif goodpost.gif

laugh.gif

well, if you're not going to take people at their word and assume their posts are sincere, that effectively ends any intelligent discourse on the matter.

If many of you read my posts thoroughly you would see that I don't care either way about agnostic sentiments, nor am I a religious zealot. I'm just sick of the downbeat, bleating music and the ultimately self-pitying meaning of more than just a few songs. All I'm trying to convey here is for him to lighten up and have some fun- Cast off the egocentric necessity to exhibit believed "superior" philosophies through song to Impress. He's been doing this since day one.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 25 2011, 07:32 AM)
I strongly believe Rush needs to reconfigure their system of producing songs in terms of musical style and lyrical content. Enough has been said about the current, long-term tangent they've been on in both respects. I can't see the group deviating to any significant degree from this path they're on.  What concerns me here is- and this is common knowledge of course- as we age as humans, we become less and less inclined to change our established ways and more inclined to stay in the comfort zone of familiarity. Is this where Rush has arrived and are taking root?

What are your opinions in this regard to Rush?

in b4 "Were lucky they're playing anything" (i.e., I'm happy with mediocrity because I have no standards, or, I'll take dung on a platter as long as its Rush"

That's a pretty sweeping generalization right there. Being in the Rush boys' peer group age-wise, I'm inclined to believe that the old codgers you see who are set in their ways are the ones who also stayed in their comfort zones of familiarity at age 20. It's just not as noticeable with the young because it's a numbers issue (i.e. fewer years = fewer experiences so still going through the "first time" stage). Not to say that there's anything wrong with being steady and unchanging; I just don't think it applies to Rush's output. Perhaps a way to describe it is that instead of a slow steady uphill climb all the way to the top, they climb upwards, reach a plateau & take a breather (that's the part you can attribute to old age, needing a physical rest now & then), and then carry on with renewed energy to the next level. I don't see them as established old geezers for at least another 30+ years.

Are "Faithless" and "BU2B" garbage? I dunno, taken from a certain perspective the lyrics are quite liberating and uplifting. And certainly positive. Religions and cults are always criticized for stifling the individual and condoning lock step conformity. It's okay to question organized authority in songs like "Anthem" and "Freewill", but not "Faithless" and "BU2B"? It seems to me that Neil Peart has been very consistent and focused with the themes he has tackled over the decades. I guess one's opinion depends on which way the wind blows...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 25 2011, 09:07 PM)
QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 25 2011, 07:05 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 25 2011, 09:02 PM)
Unless you're just claiming he's outright lying

yes.gif goodpost.gif

laugh.gif

well, if you're not going to take people at their word and assume their posts are sincere, that effectively ends any intelligent discourse on the matter.

Faulty argument; I take people at their words all the time. OP's have been constantly contradictory on this subject. Of course, if you haven't been paying close enough attention to notice that....

And even without that point, to suggest people are 100% honest, 100% of the time, about such potentially volatile issues, on the inernet of all places, I mean.... laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 25 2011, 09:09 PM)
If many of you read my posts thoroughly you would see that I don't care either way about agnostic sentiments, nor am I a religious zealot. I'm just sick of the downbeat, bleating music and the ultimately self-pitying meaning of more than just a few songs. All I'm trying to convey here is for him to lighten up and have some fun- Cast off the egocentric necessity to exhibit believed "superior" philosophies through song to Impress. He's been doing this since day one.

Truth to power!!! You go, girl!!!! cheer.gif

If many of you read my posts thoroughly you would see that I don't care either way about agnostic sentiments, nor am I a religious zealot. I'm just sick of the downbeat, bleating music and the ultimately self-pitying meaning of more than just a few songs. All I'm trying to convey here is for him to lighten up and have some fun- Cast off the egocentric necessity to exhibit believed "superior" philosophies through song to Impress.  He's been doing this since day one.

Total BS

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 25 2011, 06:09 PM)
If many of you read my posts thoroughly you would see that I don't care either way about agnostic sentiments, nor am I a religious zealot. I'm just sick of the downbeat, bleating music and the ultimately self-pitying meaning of more than just a few songs. All I'm trying to convey here is for him to lighten up and have some fun- Cast off the egocentric necessity to exhibit believed "superior" philosophies through song to Impress.  He's been doing this since day one.

Relax, it's just a phase Neil's gone through. Pretty soon you'll be hearing songs with lyrics about Telly Tubbies and It's a Small World After All.

No, if we read through your posts (providing we have asked for access to the Garbage Bin, er, Sense O'Clock News Forum), we'll see posts of yours like "Neil is too suggestive, he's even got Geddy and Alex questioning the existence of our creator". If that's not religious zeal, you need to look up the term again. And your zeal is blinding your ability to be impartial (lol, duh); the songs that you find "egocentric" "pitiful" and "depressing", I find uplifting and happy, only because I'm not so vehemently opposed to the lyrics.

Archived