The Worst of Rush

darth by tor

QUOTE (RushGuru @ Jan 28 2005, 11:00 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 28 2005, 08:54 PM)
QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Jan 28 2005, 08:38 PM)
In my opinion, there aren't enough "bad" Rush songs to make a complete album.

yes.gif yes.gif trink36.gif

yes.gif trink39.gif yes.gif

Here Here trink39.gif

BTW.. T4E has some of the best percussion Pearts ever done and is a solid effort all around... Someone needs to take their head out of their ass and listen up. yes.gif argh 1287.gif

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Jan 28 2005, 11:58 PM)
BTW.. T4E has some of the best percussion Pearts ever done and is a solid effort all around... Someone needs to take their head out of their ass and listen up. yes.gif argh 1287.gif

Agreed new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Peeps should check out "A Work In Progress" as well.

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Jan 28 2005, 07:38 PM)

Yeah, yeah, yeah bad songs, but who's that in your sig??

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jan 28 2005, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Jan 28 2005, 07:38 PM)

Yeah, yeah, yeah bad songs, but who's that in your sig??

Just look at the file name, that's what I did. wink.gif

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Jan 29 2005, 12:24 AM)
QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Jan 28 2005, 11:58 PM)

Agreed new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Peeps should check out "A Work In Progress" as well.

I agree with you there; never having known anything about drumming beforehand, watching that video gave me a completely new appreciation for what Neil (not to mention all drummers) do.

My "do-not-play" list:

- Red Tide (the right message, but horribly executed)

- Heresy (same thing)

- All of HYF, except Time Stand Still and Force 10

- How It Is

In defense of some others:

- Virtuality: sure, "net boy, net girl" may make you cringe now, but I don't think it's so bad in context (1996, when the internet was really starting to take off)

- Test for Echo: There's not a thing I don't like about this song. I think the lyrics are particularily well done.

- Closer to the Heart: As bad as the original recording may be, you have to admit it sounds wicked when done live.

Off the top of my head I can really only think of two that I never listen to and frankly never will.

Half the World

You Bet Your Life

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 28 2005, 11:25 PM)
QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Jan 28 2005, 10:21 PM)
QUOTE (MUSICinTheABsTrAcT @ Jan 28 2005, 09:39 PM)
. . . I'll give it a try...

The "Rush" album
Rivendell
A Passage to Bangkok
Closer to the Heart (studio version)
Manhattan Project
Territories
Emotion Detector
Prime Mover
Lock and Key
High Water
War Paint
Face Up
Heresy
Stick it Out
Nobody's Hero
Virtuality
Half the World
Resist (studio version)
I Love everything on Vapor Trails

Prime Mover is awesome....especially the ending.

And Territories is cool...and timely for cripes sakes!

WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE??? pokey.gif moon.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

rofl3.gif I hear you, I like some of those songs as well. It's just opinions, I guess. biggrin.gif

Ya what they said 2.gif

QUOTE (Cygnus @ Jan 29 2005, 06:11 AM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 28 2005, 11:25 PM)
QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Jan 28 2005, 10:21 PM)
QUOTE (MUSICinTheABsTrAcT @ Jan 28 2005, 09:39 PM)
. . . I'll give it a try...

The "Rush" album
Rivendell
A Passage to Bangkok
Closer to the Heart (studio version)
Manhattan Project
Territories
Emotion Detector
Prime Mover
Lock and Key
High Water
War Paint
Face Up
Heresy
Stick it Out
Nobody's Hero
Virtuality
Half the World
Resist (studio version)
I Love everything on Vapor Trails

Prime Mover is awesome....especially the ending.

And Territories is cool...and timely for cripes sakes!

WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE??? pokey.gif moon.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

rofl3.gif I hear you, I like some of those songs as well. It's just opinions, I guess. biggrin.gif

Ya what they said 2.gif

. . . when you start a thread called "The Worst of Rush", you're bound to get all sorts of opinions that are not the same as yours. Opinions likely to be an afront to your own personal Rush favs. I think most of Power Windows and the last half of Hold Your Fire are sub-par, below-average, uninspired song writing. I know that is not a common sentiment, but it is mine. I still own the CDs and I think that the majority of their entire catalogue is exceptional. Opinions differ. That's what helps make the world go around common001.gif cheer.gif cool10.gif - MitA

Edited by MUSICinTheABsTrAcT

I must confess that there are some songs that I tend to hit the skip button on my MP3 player. Seeing as how I'm currently running through my MP3 disc (all studio albums) , I find it interesting to note that the only tracks I've skipped up to yet (and I've just got about halfway through T4E) are Need Some Love, I Think I'm Going Bald, Chemistry and Stick It OUt. Add to this, when I get to them, Virtuality and Freeze (neither of which I'm particularly keen on) and you get 6 songs out of 150+.

I don't know about you, but I think that's a proportion that I would be proud of if I'd recorded them.

I dont like doing this... But there are some songs that i usually skip unless i'm in a very patient mood. I'm not very fond of Stick it out, Rivendell, Superconducter, Scars, Chain Lightning, or Cold Fire. But the most of the rest get their fair share of air time. (sorry about the rhyming.) laugh.gif

QUOTE (Cygnus @ Jan 29 2005, 06:33 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jan 29 2005, 07:10 PM)
Again I say....what kind of fan would start a thread like this dissing their favorite band????  confused13.gif Why would someone bother to do this is beyond me....

My thoughts exactly unsure.gif

. . . I don't think anyone is "dissing" the band by merely stating the songs to which they don't favorably respond. Saying I don't like this song, or that song, is different than saying ".....what the &^%$# were they thinking when they put THAT %^&*@ on the CD". A little critical analysis, or better said, honest discussion of a Rush fans likes or dislikes, is a healthy thing in my opinion. - MitA

QUOTE (MUSICinTheABsTrAcT @ Jan 30 2005, 02:21 AM)
Again I say....what kind of fan would start a thread like this dissing their favorite band????  confused13.gif Why would someone bother to do this is beyond me....

. . . I don't think anyone is "dissing" the band by merely stating the songs to which they don't favorably respond. Saying I don't like this song, or that song, is different than saying ".....what the &^%$# were they thinking when they put THAT %^&*@ on the CD". A little critical analysis, or better said, honest discussion of a Rush fans likes or dislikes, is a healthy thing in my opinion. - MitA

goodpost.gif applaudit.gif

A little constructive criticism can go a long way.

I've found, following TRF posts for 3 months now, that Rush fans' best and worst songs vary quite considerably. This means that the band are not producing sheer rubbish, with just one or two good songs here and there padded out with fillers, they are producing a wide variety of material that can be liked or disliked by different people. In my opinion, just what a band should be like. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 30 2005, 11:45 AM)
I've found, following TRF posts for 3 months now, that Rush fans' best and worst songs vary quite considerably. This means that the band are not producing sheer rubbish, with just one or two good songs here and there padded out with fillers, they are producing a wide variety of material that can be liked or disliked by different people. In my opinion, just what a band should be like. biggrin.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 30 2005, 03:32 AM)
QUOTE (MUSICinTheABsTrAcT @ Jan 30 2005, 02:21 AM)

goodpost.gif applaudit.gif

A little constructive criticism can go a long way.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 30 2005, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 30 2005, 11:45 AM)

goodpost.gif

and... goodpost.gif

I, for one, can't stand "Anagram (For Mongo)." I think it's pure filler, and unlistenable. And this is probably the fifth time I've said it. Doesn't mean I'm dissing the band, just expressing my disdain for one of their songs. There are maybe 4 or 5 songs out of the approximately 150 original studio cuts that make me lunge for the "next track" button. That's a pretty good ratio, I think.

as a person who tries to be a singer/songwriter all I can say is DO BETTER!! just try to sit down in a short time and crank out eight amazing songs. very hard to do.

fly/dive safe

blake