Rush Rarities

Witch_Hunter

I've sort of got the Rush bug good and proper now that I'm almost up to date with their albums - just Vapor Trails and the CD version of Rush in Rio to get hold of when the money starts flowing again......but am curious to know if they have any rarities stashed away on old vinyl or CD singles, various artists albums etc.....

From the Great Rock Discography by Martin C Strong it seems aside from the debut 45 on Moon back in 1973, the best I could hope for is some exclusive live tracks on assorted singles. So can anyone provide a list of what to try and get hold of?

Please try and be detailed - if some b sides were actually from live videos, then these are now on DVD, so I'm less bothered about those. Are any of these really exclusive to the singles and nothing else?

Plus any guest appearances worth getting? I recall their collaboration with Max Webster but I never bought this. Any others?

trink39.gif

The only real "rare tracks" Rush has are "Not Fade Away" and "Can't Fight It" from their debut single, and good luck getting an actual copy of the single...they typically go for hundreds on eBay. Now, if you just want the tracks, they're very easy to find online for free download (and don't feel worried about it...the tracks are out of print, if Rush wanted to make money off them they would have released them on CD).

Other than that, there is the Max Webster song "Battle Scar," which is pretty cool, and I think Geddy did a guest spot with Bob & Doug McKenzie around then called "Take Off," which I don't think I've ever actually listened to.

If you really want to get into rare stuff, though, the best way to go is live bootleg recordings, and we've got a whole forum for discussing those.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 5 2007, 11:20 AM)
Other than that, there is the Max Webster song "Battle Scar," which is pretty cool, and I think Geddy did a guest spot with Bob & Doug McKenzie around then called "Take Off," which I don't think I've ever actually listened to.

10 bucks is 10 bucks, eh. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 5 2007, 10:23 AM)

LOL

You know that one!

2.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 5 2007, 10:20 AM)
Oh, that's right, and "Fancy Dancer," "Garden Road," and their cover of "Bad Boy" (written by Larry Williams, made famous by the Beatles) are on a few live boots from 1974 that are relatively easy to come by.

Yeah I only have 5 of these rare tracks, like you said I downloaded the Original single and it's B-side pretty easily. And I have fancy dancer, bad boy, and garden road as well. All of these are from the "Fifth order of Angels" boot. I will eventally download the whole thing. I actually want a boot from the 2.gif tour when "Fly By Night" songs were added to the set list.

To everyone who replied, thanks! I have the 2 tracks from the Moon single coming to me on CD 653.gif - there's no way I would expect to track that down as a vinyl item. I'm intrigued to hear it though and wonder why they didn't add the tracks to the first album when it was remastered.

I also am expecting a 1974 radio broadcast which I'm told includes unreleased tracks - presumably those mentioned above. common001.gif

I'm also keen to get hold of Battle Scar - I did have a partial recording of it from Radio from 1980 but should be able to track a copy down reasonably cheap (saw it on a MW compilation in Canada for $10).

But I wondered about official live tracks on 12" singles and CD singles as well. I can proably work out that some of these are from the live albums but presumably not all. I'll try that other thread that someone mentioned and see what that throws up.

2.gif

QUOTE (tripdad @ Sep 5 2007, 05:11 PM)

LOL

You know that one!

2.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif Sorry to gatecrash but what was a hoser? a took is a hat right?

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 5 2007, 11:23 AM)

Take Off to the Great White North!

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 5 2007, 04:43 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 5 2007, 11:23 AM)

Take Off to the Great White North!

It's a beauty way to go !

2.gif

QUOTE (Witch_Hunter @ Sep 4 2007, 01:56 PM)
I've sort of got the Rush bug good and proper now that I'm almost up to date with their albums - just Vapor Trails and the CD version of Rush in Rio to get hold of when the money starts flowing again......but am curious to know if they have any rarities stashed away on old vinyl or CD singles, various artists albums etc.....

From the Great Rock Discography by Martin C Strong it seems aside from the debut 45 on Moon back in 1973, the best I could hope for is some exclusive live tracks on assorted singles. So can anyone provide a list of what to try and get hold of?

Please try and be detailed - if some b sides were actually from live videos, then these are now on DVD, so I'm less bothered about those. Are any of these really exclusive to the singles and nothing else?

Plus any guest appearances worth getting? I recall their collaboration with Max Webster but I never bought this. Any others?

trink39.gif

Here is my Rush rarities:

Rush - Profiled! - interview CD

Roll the Bones - interview CD

Rush Interviews Vol.2 - interview CD (I don't think there's a CD/vinyl named "Rush interviews Vol. 1", but who knows)

The Story of Kings - interview CD

Big Money - CD single

Prime Mover +2 unreleased German live tracks - CD single

Time Stand Still +2 unreleased German live tracks - CD single

Time Stand Still +time stand still edited version - CD single

Ghost of a Chance +radio edit - CD single

Roll the Bones +2 unreleased German live tracks - CD single

Roll the Bones +Where's My Thing, Superconductor and It's A Rap Part 3 - CD single

Roll the Bones Ltd. edition Hologram single + Anagram, It's A Rap Part 2 - CD single

Test For Echo +radio edit - CD single

Secret Touch +radio edit - CD single

Different Stages Japanese version with bonus track: Force Ten previously unreleased live - CD album

Rush Replay x3 Best Buy version with bonus tracks - 3DVD/1CD -box

Then I have ordered Ghost of A Chance CD-single. I don't know what it contains.

(the promos I didn't mention are released only as vinyls, take a look)

QUOTE (Cechan a of Stgho @ Sep 8 2007, 12:10 AM)
QUOTE (Witch_Hunter @ Sep 4 2007, 01:56 PM)

trink39.gif

Here is my Rush rarities:

Rush - Profiled! - interview CD

Roll the Bones - interview CD

Rush Interviews Vol.2 - interview CD (I don't think there's a CD/vinyl named "Rush interviews Vol. 1", but who knows)

The Story of Kings - interview CD

Big Money - CD single

Prime Mover +2 unreleased German live tracks - CD single

Time Stand Still +2 unreleased German live tracks - CD single

Time Stand Still +time stand still edited version - CD single

Ghost of a Chance +radio edit - CD single

Roll the Bones +2 unreleased German live tracks - CD single

Roll the Bones +Where's My Thing, Superconductor and It's A Rap Part 3 - CD single

Roll the Bones Ltd. edition Hologram single + Anagram, It's A Rap Part 2 - CD single

Test For Echo +radio edit - CD single

Secret Touch +radio edit - CD single

Different Stages Japanese version with bonus track: Force Ten previously unreleased live - CD album

Rush Replay x3 Best Buy version with bonus tracks - 3DVD/1CD -box

Then I have ordered Ghost of A Chance CD-single. I don't know what it contains.

(the promos I didn't mention are released only as vinyls, take a look)

Thanks!

That was the sort of stuff I was searching for. I'll begin the search!

Ouch! A Japanese version of Different Stages with one bonus track eh.gif

I'm sure there must be more on vinyl from the 80s?

QUOTE (RUSHMAN999 @ Sep 5 2007, 04:43 PM)

LOL

You know that one!

2.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif Sorry to gatecrash but what was a hoser? a took is a hat right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoser

Today, the word hoser evokes - sometimes sympathetically, with gentle ribbing, and sometimes negatively - a stereotypical Canadian male, typically lower to middle class, white and English Canadian. He is especially concerned with drinking beer and watching hockey. The hoser is understood as a product of a poor and white upbringing, whether urban or rural, but never from a more cosmopolitan lifestyle. He is generally assumed to be unemployed, although he may also be a labourer working in primary industry (manufacturing, mining, forestry, etc.) or as a tradesman or a manual labourer. He is typically not university-educated: if he has any education past high school, it's a college trade program. If he does go on to university, or moves to a city, he will still have preferences for "hoser" food, clothing, music, and sports, and will retain the language inflections of his upbringing.

BTW, "took" is actually spelled "tuque" and yes, it is a hat mostly worn in the wintertime.

QUOTE (Frankie7 @ Sep 8 2007, 07:20 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHMAN999 @ Sep 5 2007, 04:43 PM)

LOL

You know that one!

2.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoser

Today, the word hoser evokes - sometimes sympathetically, with gentle ribbing, and sometimes negatively - a stereotypical Canadian male, typically lower to middle class, white and English Canadian. He is especially concerned with drinking beer and watching hockey. The hoser is understood as a product of a poor and white upbringing, whether urban or rural, but never from a more cosmopolitan lifestyle. He is generally assumed to be unemployed, although he may also be a labourer working in primary industry (manufacturing, mining, forestry, etc.) or as a tradesman or a manual labourer. He is typically not university-educated: if he has any education past high school, it's a college trade program. If he does go on to university, or moves to a city, he will still have preferences for "hoser" food, clothing, music, and sports, and will retain the language inflections of his upbringing.

BTW, "took" is actually spelled "tuque" and yes, it is a hat mostly worn in the wintertime.

hey thanks frankie7!!

i was also going to correct the word tuque as well!

ha ha ha

trink39.gif

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 8 2007, 11:44 AM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Sep 8 2007, 10:42 AM)
Don't know if they are rare but I have a red vinyl version of hemispheres.

Me too. I also have a picture disc of Hemispheres.

My dad has a red vinyl version.

I have a copy of "Rush n' Roulette" - a 6-track promo 12" vinyl that has 6 inter-woven grooves so that each time you place the needle at the start it picks up on one of 6 starting points, so you get a different track each time. I believe it's pretty rare. it was used to promote Exit...Stage Left

Archived