The Official Runner's Thread

deadwing2112

Managed to finish my 28km run today in 02h33min. Next week, 32km!!!!

Getting stronger! Nice work! At least someone is keeping with a program. I'm way off of where I should be.

You and me both.

I was going to run today but we are smoked in from a fire outside of Markleeville, CA.

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/466*350/Kayle+Bell+Jared+Gloistein11.jpg

The wind shifted and slowed, which is good for the fire fighters, but all that smoke is now settling above us. Can't see those cows anymore...

Yeah,

There are so many fires here I have lost count. Not in town but the smoke is affecting us.

• Like 1

Getting stronger! Nice work! At least someone is keeping with a program. I'm way off of where I should be.

You and me both.

I was going to run today but we are smoked in from a fire outside of Markleeville, CA.

The wind shifted and slowed, which is good for the fire fighters, but all that smoke is now settling above us. Can't see those cows anymore...

Yeah,

There are so many fires here I have lost count. Not in town but the smoke is affecting us.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/newsminer.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/5a/c5a07198-1930-11e5-b805-e7d8b439213b/558890b0e6fbf.image.jpg?resize=300%2C189

Looks nasty.

• Like 1

You and me both.

Yeah,

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/newsminer.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/5a/c5a07198-1930-11e5-b805-e7d8b439213b/558890b0e6fbf.image.jpg?resize=300%2C189

Looks nasty.

Wow,

Thats nasty. We have a nice breeze today so it helps.

• Like 1

You and me both.

Yeah,

Looks nasty.

Wow,

The breeze... Clears the smoke but fans the flames. Looks like we're in similar boats.
  • Like 1

You and me both.

Yeah,

Looks nasty.

Wow,

The breeze... Clears the smoke but fans the flames. Looks like we're in similar boats.

Up here,

The breeze might not be where the fires are. Just depends on where the fires are at. Its very tough on the firefighters. Its a game of cat & mouse. The tundra is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

32km today in unexpectedly excruciating heat!!! I finished it in 02h55min40s. I feel ready for the marathon, but doing it in less than 4 hours will be tough. I started to really lose steam after the 26th km. One month from now we'll find out!
  • Like 1

32km today in unexpectedly excruciating heat!!! I finished it in 02h55min40s. I feel ready for the marathon, but doing it in less than 4 hours will be tough. I started to really lose steam after the 26th km. One month from now we'll find out!

Do you take walking rests along the way? That's a good strategy for maintaining strength and actually increases your overall pace.
  • Like 1

10 miles, 1:06:5x. Not great time, but took it easy. This puts me almost 500 miles on the year, right on track for 1000 miles.

That's a good pace! Nice work!

Do you take walking rests along the way? That's a good strategy for maintaining strength and actually increases your overall pace.

Not really...what I did yesterday was buy four water bottles and leave them at a kiosk by the beach - that´s where I run - and take a short stop to pick them up at the end of each lap. I did four laps of 08km, and it´s a good thing that they have the mileage marked in the asphalt - good thing to control your pace, as I get confused if I have to look at the watch too much.

I can't stop for long when running,

I lose all motivation.

I can't stop for long when running,

I lose all motivation.

I don'y stop, but I'll drop 6he pace, usually counting out the steps. I'll follow that with some semi-sprint speed work. I like the variety.
  • Like 1

Here's what's next for me: 24 km next Sunday, 20 on the one after that, 16 on the third Sunday of July, and then the marathon. I'm afraid of not keeping up the pace after km 32 and end up doing in more than 04 hours.
  • Like 1

Here's what's next for me: 24 km next Sunday, 20 on the one after that, 16 on the third Sunday of July, and then the marathon. I'm afraid of not keeping up the pace after km 32 and end up doing in more than 04 hours.

You've got this, bro! Remember the most important training tip, the right mix on the Ipod! The anti-bonk mix!

AC/DC :yes:

Air Supply :no:

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

I am yet to choose which six or seven albums I will listen to during the race. But I'm sure there'll be lotes of Rush, Maiden, AC/DC and Dream Theater. Air Supply is a huge DON'T.

Here´s my first attempt at a playlist:

Rush - Signals

Iron Maiden - Brave New World or No Prayer for the Dying

Van Halen II or 1984

Dream Theater - Awake or Falling Into Infinity

Led Zeppelin - IV or The Song Remains the Same

AC/DC - Back in Black

Pearl Jam - Backspacer

On my first marathon I picked my favourite songs from all Rush albums and created a playlist by order of release. Managed to get all the way to Counterparts. This time I´m thinking that full albums work better psychologically.

Here´s my first attempt at a playlist:

Rush - Signals

Iron Maiden - Brave New World or No Prayer for the Dying

Van Halen II or 1984

Dream Theater - Awake or Falling Into Infinity

Led Zeppelin - IV or The Song Remains the Same

AC/DC - Back in Black

Pearl Jam - Backspacer

On my first marathon I picked my favourite songs from all Rush albums and created a playlist by order of release. Managed to get all the way to Counterparts. This time I´m thinking that full albums work better psychologically.

I think that's a good plan! Attack the race in 40 minute chunks.

You've got this, bro! Remember the most important training tip, the right mix on the Ipod! The anti-bonk mix!

I won't listen to music while running,

I need to know what is going on around me.

Once I got old and slow I started to listen to music. :LOL:
  • Like 1

Once I got old and slow I started to listen to music. :LOL:

Decades ago I did,

I just don't trust people/punks and idiot drivers. :P

I can´t run a single mile if my ears are not busy...I know this is prohibited if you´re a top tier runner and have a serious chance of winning, but I´m on amateur level, so I just go for it!

I was supposed to run 24km today, but had a sore throat and spent Saturday night at the hospital with my daughter because she had a fever that just wouldn't recede. I still managed 16km in spite of the cold weather, and will do the remaining 08 tomorrow morning.

We're both on antibiotics now, and will be for the next ten days...man, this winter hasn't been kind to us.

So, in North Central Washington, just shy of Canada, is a small town called Chesaw. Every 4th of July they have a rodeo that starts with family games like egg toss, tug of war, 3 legged race. The events also include a 100-yd dash and a suicide race.

I got off to a late start, getting beat by 9 year old girls!

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/goose_trf/20150704_101559_zpsryseokun.jpg

Here's the suicide course, which starts in the rodeo arena. I'm on the left side, 2/3 up, in a light grey shirt, just at the big green bush. Lungs were burning at that point!

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/goose_trf/20150704_104254_zpsrd6pivgz.jpg

• Like 2