Mojo Magazine - Reviews TFE

madra sneachta

There I am leafing through Mojo, when in the reissues section I come across a review of TFE. Another hatchet job, I assumed, but no........

Three stars, and here's a transcription of the review

"Brain-box Canadian trip rediscover guitars"

To outsiders, Rush will never escape their roots as a Dungeons and Dragons metal band. Those days were gone more than 15 years gone by the time of Test for Echo, one of five reissues from '89's Presto onwards.

Throughout the '80s, frontman Geddy Lee was multi-tasking : playing keyboards with his hands and bass pedals with his feet while squealing lyrics about middle aged ennui and the nuclear arms race. After '93's weak Counterparts, a complete rethink was in order. The next, Test for Echo, witnessed the rebirth of Rush as a hard rock band, and the return of Alex Lifeson's fabulous jarring guitars ; the stand out track Driven piloting a riff as heavy as anything on their very first album.

Being smart alecs, they still couldn't resist a smart alec instrumental, Limbo, yet there's a warmth here that had long been missing from Rush's work.

Mark Blake

OK, not a fawning review by any means, but one of the fairer I've seen in the UK music press.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 30 2004, 04:50 PM)
There I am leafing through Mojo, when in the reissues section I come across a review of TFE. Another hatchet job, I assumed, but no........

Three stars, and here's a transcription of the review

"Brain-box Canadian trip rediscover guitars"

To outsiders, Rush will never escape their roots as a Dungeons and Dragons metal band. Those days were gone more than 15 years gone by the time of Test for Echo, one of five reissues from '89's Presto onwards.

Throughout the '80s, frontman Geddy Lee was multi-tasking : playing keyboards with his hands and bass pedals with his feet while squealing lyrics about middle aged ennui and the nuclear arms race. After '93's weak Counterparts, a complete rethink was in order. The next, Test for Echo, witnessed the rebirth of Rush as a hard rock band, and the return of Alex Lifeson's fabulous jarring guitars ; the stand out track Driven piloting a riff as heavy as anything on their very first album.

Being smart alecs, they still couldn't resist a smart alec instrumental, Limbo, yet there's a warmth here that had long been missing from Rush's work.

Mark Blake

OK, not a fawning review by any means, but one of the fairer I've seen in the UK music press.

I'm glad he gave it the 3 stars. Hopefully out of a total of 3 available???

However, two things make me want to smack this guy in the head.

1) Counterparts weak??? Does this man have ears??

2) "Test for Echo, witnessed the rebirth of Rush as a hard rock band, and the return of Alex Lifeson's fabulous jarring guitars" -- I guess I can understand this mis-statement due to the fact that he WASN'T listening to Counterparts!!

Ok - kudos to what he said about Driven, as it's such an amazing song. That tune makes you feel like you're doing 150 mph even when you're sitting still. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I think Counterparts is better than TFE, sonically and musically. TFE has some great pieces but isn't as cohesive as CP.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 30 2004, 06:09 PM)

I'm glad he gave it the 3 stars. Hopefully out of a total of 3 available???

However, two things make me want to smack this guy in the head.

2) "Test for Echo, witnessed the rebirth of Rush as a hard rock band, and the return of Alex Lifeson's fabulous jarring guitars" -- I guess I can understand this mis-statement due to the fact that he WASN'T listening to Counterparts!!

Ok - kudos to what he said about Driven, as it's such an amazing song. That tune makes you feel like you're doing 150 mph even when you're sitting still. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 30 2004, 05:09 PM)
...two things make me want to smack this guy in the head.

Exactly. yes.gif

Personally I prefer Counterparts too (although I concur absolutely with Paganoman about Driven). Thing is, on this side of the Atlantic, there's so little coverage of Rush in mags like Mojo that anything even vaguely positive is a rare and refreshing change.

QUOTE (prince by-tor @ Dec 1 2004, 11:17 AM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 30 2004, 05:10 PM)
I don tunderstand his knocking of Counterparts.

I AGREE....Counter Parts to me is 2.gif coming back to the hard rock thing..If you don"t agree you can kishug.gif my moon.gif

I ain't an educated man as all you Fleet Street preachers know, but am I correct in deducing you're a Whitesnake fan Prince By-Tor??

Great, thanks for posting this review, Madra Sneachta!

For once I have to agree with the critic here... CP (much more uneven in my ears -and at times truly unbearable 062802puke_prv.gif ) doesn't hold a candle to TFE (the first six tracks are all really good and I also love Carve Away The Stone as an album closer.)

Archived