Who's the maniac in polyester slacks?

Finbar

Okay, WHO'S rapping on the Roll the Bones title song... is that a treated Geddy Lee or Neil Peart? The liner notes only say that the producer, Rupert Hine, does some background vocals.

Is it known for sure who the rapper is? Is it, like, supposedly "the skeleton?"

You know...I thought I had read something way back when that said it was Neil...but I just can't remember...I'd be more likely to go with Geddy in light of the fact I can't remember where I saw it... 2.gif

As hard as it is to believe...it is actually GEDDY!!

I do recall hearing Neil in an interview discussing the making of the album. When he was talking about "Roll The Bones", he actually mentioned that he was intrigued by some of the rap artists, and thought that it would be fun to try writing one.

He then mentioned something about auditioning some different rappers for the part. But ultimately, they liked the (treated) Geddy recording the best...as they thought long-term, it would be the most suitable and best-sounding for their record.

Anybody have this interview by chance?

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 25 2007, 12:38 AM)
As hard as it is to believe...it is actually GEDDY!!

I do recall hearing Neil in an interview discussing the making of the album. When he was talking about "Roll The Bones", he actually mentioned that he was intrigued by some of the rap artists, and thought that it would be fun to try writing one.

He then mentioned something about auditioning some different rappers for the part. But ultimately, they liked the (treated) Geddy recording the best...as they thought long-term, it would be the most suitable and best-sounding for their record.

Anybody have this interview by chance?

I think I do somewhere. He even mentioned that they thought about having John Cleese do it to make it more comical. But, as you said, in the end Geddy was the way to go.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Jan 24 2007, 11:37 AM)
MitA posted not a long time ago the "clear" Geddy rap. Check out his site, you should find it...

Link plz.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jan 25 2007, 12:28 AM)
I told you it was Geddy, Finbar!!!! I WAS RIGHT!!!!!! bumper.gif

Why doesn't he do it live? That's what put the thought into my mind that it wasn't him? Arrrgh!

QUOTE (rushfr:CP @ Jan 24 2007, 03:08 PM)
http://www.musicintheabstract.org/rush-odd...d-and-pitch.mp3

Thanks for the link.

Man, I checked out the Narduwar interview. That guy's such an asshole.

QUOTE (Finbar @ Jan 25 2007, 01:55 AM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jan 25 2007, 12:28 AM)
I told you it was Geddy, Finbar!!!! I WAS RIGHT!!!!!! bumper.gif

Why doesn't he do it live? That's what put the thought into my mind that it wasn't him? Arrrgh!

He does say the "Get Busy" line along with the skeleton... version of him, I supposed you'd call it... wacko.gif

Am I the only person who actually digs this "rap" part? I think the fx on the vocal sounds cool....and with the video I think it actually works.

"...so get out there and rock...and roll the bones..."

trink39.gif

(I always thought it was Neil until I finally read it was Gedward)

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 25 2007, 01:48 PM)
Am I the only person who actually digs this "rap" part? I think the fx on the vocal sounds cool....and with the video I think it actually works.

trink39.gif

Are you the only one? Absolutely not. I love it!

It's just another example of how Rush are not afraid to experiment. They enjoy trying out different ideas, and are never afraid to challenge themselves both in the studio, and on the stage.

BTW: THIS SONG ROCKS "LIVE"!! 1022.gif

Go back to your Rio DVD; watch and listen carefully to what the 3 of them are playing during the "rap". The tightness that they have is remarkable, and the music sounds fantastic!

Why doesn't Geddy sing it in concert? Two reasons:

1) It keeps the vibe of the studio version (+ they get to play with video!)

2) It gives everyone a reason to create a thread just like this one!! biggrin.gif

I have a video of R30 and you can see at one part hes singing into the mic but im not sure its actually him singing into a mic thats changing his voice or not, but then again ive never been to a Rush Concert before to see them play Roll The Bones fists crying.gif

If you look at 4:24 he is singing while its Rapping (im not sure at all im just putting this up)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7gyOAWbO4o0

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 25 2007, 02:14 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 25 2007, 01:48 PM)
Am I the only person who actually digs this "rap" part?  I think the fx on the vocal sounds cool....and with the video I think it actually works.

trink39.gif

Are you the only one? Absolutely not. I love it!

It's just another example of how Rush are not afraid to experiment. They enjoy trying out different ideas, and are never afraid to challenge themselves both in the studio, and on the stage.

BTW: THIS SONG ROCKS "LIVE"!! 1022.gif

Go back to your Rio DVD; watch and listen carefully to what the 3 of them are playing during the "rap". The tightness that they have is remarkable, and the music sounds fantastic!

Why doesn't Geddy sing it in concert? Two reasons:

1) It keeps the vibe of the studio version (+ they get to play with video!)

2) It gives everyone a reason to create a thread just like this one!! biggrin.gif

I enjoy the rap part a lot, especially the backing music... but think that the lyrics are pretty cheesy and fall short of quality rap. I showed the song to my buddy Sam, though, who listens to a lot of rap, (his favourite artist is KRS-ONE) and he said he really enjoyed it.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Jan 25 2007, 09:40 PM)
I have a video of R30 and you can see at one part hes singing into the mic but im not sure its actually him singing into a mic thats changing his voice or not, but then again ive never been to a Rush Concert before to see them play Roll The Bones fists crying.gif

If you look at 4:24 he is singing while its Rapping (im not sure at all im just putting this up)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7gyOAWbO4o0

Yeah, but it looks like he's just singing along to himself, and not just into the mic. I had noticed that before...

Yeah, but couldn't he sing through a treated mic and achieve the same effect?

QUOTE (Finbar @ Jan 26 2007, 01:09 AM)
I enjoy the rap part a lot, especially the backing music... but think that the lyrics are pretty cheesy and fall short of quality rap. I showed the song to my buddy Sam, though, who listens to a lot of rap, (his favourite artist is KRS-ONE) and he said he really enjoyed it.

Well, Neil's rap may be "cheesy compared to quality rap", but that actually works in their favour! Neil mentioned that he wrote the "rap" simply because he thought it would be fun to try.

I believe that Neil's lyrics were meant to be comical, non-serious, and just plain fun. There is a silliness to them, but I guarantee that most Rush fans love to "rap" along with Geddy! They just fit along well with Rush's sense of humour.

BTW, I for one, am extremely glad that Neil didn't write about the things that most rap artists tend to write about. Could you honestly imagine the video for "Roll The Bones" featuring the guys playing their instruments in a mansion backyard, with girls in bikinis running around...and so forth?! 062802puke_prv.gif

I'm not trying to put down rap...I'm just saying that it doesn't work for Rush, and would never fit in to what they do. cool.gif

Archived