My Girlfriend
    Fishing
    Music
    Helping out other people
    Football
    T&A
    Nature

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (Dreamline @ Dec 8 2005, 04:47 PM)
Can anyone tell me why Virginia Newbon (who??) appears on so many usenet music boards and internet forums in relation to Rush?

No - put your troll emoticons away. I really want to know. I suspect whatever the deep dark secret is, makes much sense to US/canucks - it makes no sense whatsoever to this Brit.

What is this website all about?

Virginia Newbon

Edited by Indica, 08 December 2005 - 05:00 PM.

Sponsored Post

#22 Indica

Indica

Resident Left Winger

• Members
  • 13031 posts
  • Interests:Guitar
    My Girlfriend
    Fishing
    Music
    Helping out other people
    Football
    T&A
    Nature

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE (Dreamline @ Dec 8 2005, 04:47 PM)
Can anyone tell me why Virginia Newbon (who??) appears on so many usenet music boards and internet forums in relation to Rush?

No - put your troll emoticons away. I really want to know. I suspect whatever the deep dark secret is, makes much sense to US/canucks - it makes no sense whatsoever to this Brit.

I did a search and used that name and this is the first website I found and it talks about Rush.

WHAT THE H E DOUBLE L?

Edited by Indica, 08 December 2005 - 05:10 PM.

#23 Tick

Tick

Mr: 26,000!!!

• Members *
  • 26466 posts
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:13 PM

first off well said indy,i started this thread cause i dont get it,with all the s**t music being made why knock dream theater?look let me tell you theres probably not that many fans here that go back to the 70s,i do so i love rush,but one has nothing to do with the other.to anyone who thinks portnoy is not a great drummer,your either bitter or clueless.i love many great bands,theres just something about the way  some rush fans feel about dream theater that bothers me. moon.gif

Edited by tick, 08 December 2005 - 05:14 PM.

#24 Test4VitalSigns

Test4VitalSigns

London Calling

• Members *
  • 36903 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:47 AM

My opinion on DT has nothing to do with me being  2.gif fan or a fan of any band but solely based on me seeing them live last year and listening to some of their albums and frankly I found them boring and not my cup of tea....If DT fans can't accept that than so be it....each to their own.

#25 Dreamline

Dreamline

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 383 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:05 AM

Indica - the two sites you found are exactly the sort of stuff I was talking about. Both mention an internet nick LIBERATOR. I was hoping someone here would know the story and could explain it to me (and not to you too). Weird sh*t huh?

#26 Tick

Tick

• Members *
  • 26466 posts
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 09 December 2005 - 09:24 AM

dreamline what the f**k are you talking about!!!!

#27 Dreamline

Dreamline

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 383 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 9 2005, 02:24 PM)

Did you click the links Indica provided? Some crzy sh*t there - that's what I'm talking about

#28 Moonraker

Moonraker

O_o

• Members *
  • 6362 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (Dreamline @ Dec 9 2005, 09:24 AM)

Did you click the links Indica provided? Some crzy sh*t there - that's what I'm talking about

What does that have to do with Dream Theatre?

#29 Tick

Tick

• Members *
  • 26466 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:36 AM

exactly,nothing.

#30 Indica

Indica

Resident Left Winger

• Members
  • 13031 posts
    My Girlfriend
    Fishing
    Music
    Helping out other people
    Football
    T&A
    Nature

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (Dreamline @ Dec 9 2005, 11:24 AM)

It just goes to show you that you will find some freaky stuff on the internet.  

#31 kazzman

kazzman

I got a fever...

• Members *
  • 6263 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:56 PM

The thing I've noticed about a lot of Dream Theatre fans is that they have the mindset that if you're a Rush fan then you have to be a DT fan. With my case, I used to like DT; not to the point that I would consider myself a fan of theirs, but I did at one point like them. This was also around the time I was heavily getting into Rush. One of the reasons that I liked DT at the time was because of the huge influence Rush had on them, and that they are great musicians.

Now, I've listened to DT's entire catalogue, with the exception of Octivarium which I really don't care to hear. What drew me away from DT was  that it seems like they can't write a song that's over 10 minutes long without having some over-extended solo in it as well as their music lacking one important factor. Soul. When I listen to DT now, I hear technical musicians who seem to be playing only to show off and say "hey, look how good I am" instead of playing for the passion of making music.

Another thing that I've noticed about a lot of DT fans is that whenever people express their opinion on DT and if it's negative, they cry and pout because they can't come to terms with the fact that somebody doesn't like Dream Theater (especially if that person is a Rush fan). Hell, I remember when me and a few other people previously expressed our opinions on DT here, some crybaby posted a link to that thread on the Mike Portnoy board and everybody there that read it went into a hissy fit and couldn't bear the thought that somebody didn't like their precious DT. The sad thing was, none of those members registered on here to defend DT, but rather just spewed insult after insult at this board.

Somebody also once said on here that there's more bands deserving of our "hate." True, but I don't see anybody starting up topics praising those bands. The day that somebody does, I'll express my opinion on them too.

Edited by kazzman, 09 December 2005 - 01:58 PM.

#32 Tick

Tick

• Members *
  • 26466 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:33 PM

kaz i understand your points,and i started this thread just for the banter.i do like these guys and i hear your point of view that they are just showing off,they are.is there music groundbreaking,some times yes sometimes no,but i really enjoy it ,thats what its all about,no? however i do consider scenes from a memory a special album.i have never seen them live but i look forward to it. however they are just one of many bands i love,and if you dont like them,oh well.

Edited by tick, 09 December 2005 - 02:37 PM.

#33 Dreamline

Dreamline

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 383 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (kazzman @ Dec 9 2005, 06:56 PM)
Another thing that I've noticed about a lot of DT fans is that whenever people express their opinion on DT and if it's negative, they cry and pout because they can't come to terms with the fact that somebody doesn't like Dream Theater

The same goes for many Rush fans - so what?

#34 Dreamline

Dreamline

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 383 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 9 2005, 04:29 PM)

The same crazy sh*t goes on in the DT forums and usenet newsgroups. The same cretin is obviously a fan of both bands and crosses over.

THAT is what it has to do with DT but obviously I didn't make that clear. Someone just had to be rude about it instead

#35 Tick

Tick

• Members *
  • 26466 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 03:45 PM

cant we all just get along. bekloppt.gif  

#36 Chimique

Chimique

The Seeker

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 9 2005, 03:45 PM)
cant we all just get along. bekloppt.gif

smile.gif I agree with you, Tick. We
all need to just get along... smile.gif

Give Peace A Chance

#37 D-13

D-13

You can put it in the win column!

• Members *
  • 9349 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (Dreamline @ Dec 9 2005, 01:40 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 9 2005, 04:29 PM)

The same crazy sh*t goes on in the DT forums and usenet newsgroups. The same cretin is obviously a fan of both bands and crosses over.

THAT is what it has to do with DT but obviously I didn't make that clear. Someone just had to be rude about it instead

He was just asking a question...settle down...

#38 Indica

Indica

Resident Left Winger

• Members
  • 13031 posts
    My Girlfriend
    Fishing
    Music
    Helping out other people
    Football
    T&A
    Nature

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (kazzman @ Dec 9 2005, 01:56 PM)

Somebody also once said on here that there's more bands deserving of our "hate." True, but I don't see anybody starting up topics praising those bands.

ohmy.gif  scared.gif  scared.gif

smile.gif  

#39 PuppetKing2112

PuppetKing2112

The Music Database

• Members *
  • 8814 posts
  • Interests:Music, basketball, writing

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:53 PM

I'm with Kazz and Moon on this one. I'm not at all denying that DT are technically proficient musicians, I just think they are extremely boring and their songs go on way too long with needless soloing and such. I have listened to teir entire discography many times, and I cannot gather anything that resembles emotion or soul out of their music. Some highly educated musicians using their music as a forum to show off their technical skills instead of making music that says something. Portnoy annoys me to no end, comparing himself to Neil Peart in every interview. And James LeBrie seems to have no voice of his own. Listen to the Change of Seasons live album. They do Bohemian Rhapsody and he sounds EXACTLY like Freddie Mercury. They do a Zeppelin medley and he sounds EXACTLY like Robert Plant. They do Genesis/Journey/whatever and he sounds EXACTLY like Phil Collins, Steve perry, etc. And they play these songs exactly like the originals. Sure, it's impressive that they can recreate those, but what makes a cover great is when they make it somehow their own, and Dream Theater fails to do that, instead recreating what has already been done exactly. As for their originals, it all strikes me as prog-metal-by-numbers with 10 minute solos that never go anywhere and using everything as an excuse to show off even more. As Kazz said, when Rush fans start loving a different terrible band, we will start bashing them instead of DT. But for now, this is what we have.

#40 Tick

Tick

• Members *
  • 26466 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:57 PM

dam,i wouldnt listen a groups albums over and over if i didnt like them. wacko.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users